Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

hold on new traits - what do y'all think?
10-26-2014, 11:55 AM
RE: hold on new traits - what do y'all think?
(10-26-2014 10:16 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  ...
Oh, sorry, this thread is supposed to be about the "Annual Complaint About Wanting It All And How Hard it Is To Get It All When There Is So Much New Stuff To Find"

Ha ha too funny! When I read this I started hearing that Queen song in my head...I want it all and I want it now!

"It ain't much I'm asking, I heard him say
Gotta find me a new trait... move out of my way
I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now
I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now"

Now if only my starters would cooperate !

Mal's MegaCatz Too Adorable
Latest Born Kitty:
[Image: Malayaa_Resident]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan
10-26-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't actually care or fuss or fret about the introduction of new traits. They are fun pretty sparkles... I do not angst. I also have a lot of traits to work with in my current cats, ya know, busy with what I've got (which doesn't help the market I know). But the new furs especially are very pretty imo.

I think more about 2 things:
1) SL2. Right now there isn't much or any information to help the KittyCatS team to move ahead to the new world. The closer LL moves to beta, the more information I'd expect there to be. And the more time I'd expect KittyCatS to spend working on converting the cats to a new format, mesh and any texture and scripting adjustment required. (Which in terms of scripting I'd expect to be a ton of new work.) So, part of how I feel is: enjoy the new traits while you can because the closer we get to SL2, the less time HQ will have or Should have to devote to the LEs. So many requests I see in the Desired Features section I think, "yes but, do they have time for that? Is that one really a priority?"

2) There are ways in which the market is saturated, but there are ways in which I feel like it is still immature. Most people run the recessives race, at least in part. They do that because having a stable of recessive cats to breed with the new starters saves time, which saves catfood, which saves money, and also the resulting kittens already have some really good recessive traits hiding. And these cats sell better as well.
But.
The market for boutique cats lags behind - the cats that are sold because they are aesthetically pleasing. I can see a future where a healthy section of the market buys cats not because they are 9T amazing recessive, but because, wow that whisker color brings out the highlights in an eye. Where it's not all about having the white mysterious whisker minimum and white mysterious whiskers on cats that don't look good with them, but maybe having, say, chocolate GUITAR whiskers on a cat because that whisker shape works so well with the pattern of the fur. In this sort of market, having more traits is absolutely better. Because the traits become paints that we work with.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: Kayleigh McMillan , Illuminatra Resident , Icestron Resident , Jania Cleanslate , LyricaBlues Resident , Ryanna Enfield , Aubreygrace Starlight , Whispers Magic , brittanybelike Resident
10-26-2014, 03:06 PM
(10-26-2014 10:16 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  And, there it is!

Welcome to the next phase of KittyCatS complaints.

Here is a suggestion for KittyCatS: could you PLEASE automate the creation of these threads? There must be a Calendar addon somewhere which we can use to automatically complain about too many traits at the end of October. Maybe you can get it in before Christmas to automate the complains about traits losing value too quickly?

Oh, sorry, this thread is supposed to be about the "Annual Complaint About Wanting It All And How Hard it Is To Get It All When There Is So Much New Stuff To Find"

(10-26-2014 10:45 AM)Dimpz Morane Wrote:  Lolz this gave me big belly laughs Tongue

ROFL it is so true though! Smile

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

10-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Moving this to "Feedback" as that seems a more appropriate place.

Also, gentle reminder to keep the discussion respectful. Smile

There's a sucker born every minute, and the stray cats know where we all live!
 Thanks given by: Jania Cleanslate , Icestron Resident
10-26-2014, 03:16 PM
(10-26-2014 03:11 PM)Kitten Longmeadow Wrote:  Moving this to "Feedback" as that seems a more appropriate place.

Also, gentle reminder to keep the discussion respectful. Smile

Sorry Kitten, it was stronger than myself Heart

Retro Kitties Showroom »

10-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Well, in my case wanting it all is a strong statement as for some people "more is less" and I am not even complaining Smile there is no use.
 Thanks given by: Icestron Resident , Kendrah Vantelli
10-26-2014, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2014 08:14 PM by Icestron Resident.)
interesting observation Tad - that this seems to be cyclical. But I think you misunderstand the intention of this post. It is not a complaint. It is an invitation to talk about this with a wider audience.

Especially as we look to the future and SL2 - it is good to know what the kitty community thinks.

?????? [ Amber (Icestron Resident) ] ??????
 Thanks given by: Jania Cleanslate , Arwen Swordthain
10-26-2014, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2014 11:10 PM by Nocshadue Balbozar.)
I think sometimes people get concerned watching the fluctuations in the market. Here are a few basic things I've observed:

New eyes command a high price only if shown to be the most recessive atm. Same thing goes for shades, ears, tails, and whiskers.

New furs command a high price at first but if the new fur is not most recessive it drops quickly, and with many breeding, the market is quickly filled with them.

A new Breed is a bit different, I think they generate a lot of interest. I adore the new breeds! And I think introducing a new breed livens up the market more than anything else. Remember when we got the Bali Lynx?

As someone who has discovered a few new traits in the past, I know it's pretty exciting to find something and have buyers IMing you, plus the extra Linden is great.. just remember it's not forever. I love seeing new traits. I think many buyers wait to see if one of them is going to dethrone the current "most recessive" whatever.

I absolutely LOVE boutique cats! I buy them sometimes not to breed out copies myself but to permapet and keep forever just for their beauty. We have soooo many traits to work with now. Even the ones retired long ago are still being bred and I'm happy for that. I hoard boxes of furs and eyes I don't want to lose, even if I'm not breeding them atm. If I were rich, I'd have a pair of everything making boxes for me lol.

But I've digressed from the original question really. Should we put a hold on new traits for a while? I think it depends on what the new traits are. Maybe it'll be a while before we see a new breed, but I'm betting we'll see new furs in that breed. And I'm ok with that. A new "most recessive"? I dunno, we have dry olive that's still pretty new. Grotto and Exotic Breeze too, I'm still working those into the lines I want them in lol. Don't even have Dry Olive yet. And Aby Dark Chocolate is getting more common but I'm still working to trait them out as I was offline for a few months.

So I guess my suggestion would be to Retire as much as you Release, and watch the timing of releasing a trait that will be the most recessive.

Hugs,
Noc

Nacht's Landing
ScratchN Shop
 Thanks given by: Icestron Resident , Illuminatra Resident , Aubreygrace Starlight , Grace Bashly
10-27-2014, 02:16 AM
(10-26-2014 12:14 PM)Ivy Norsk Wrote:  I don't actually care or fuss or fret about the introduction of new traits. They are fun pretty sparkles... I do not angst. I also have a lot of traits to work with in my current cats, ya know, busy with what I've got (which doesn't help the market I know). But the new furs especially are very pretty imo.

I think more about 2 things:
1) SL2. Right now there isn't much or any information to help the KittyCatS team to move ahead to the new world. The closer LL moves to beta, the more information I'd expect there to be. And the more time I'd expect KittyCatS to spend working on converting the cats to a new format, mesh and any texture and scripting adjustment required. (Which in terms of scripting I'd expect to be a ton of new work.) So, part of how I feel is: enjoy the new traits while you can because the closer we get to SL2, the less time HQ will have or Should have to devote to the LEs. So many requests I see in the Desired Features section I think, "yes but, do they have time for that? Is that one really a priority?"

2) There are ways in which the market is saturated, but there are ways in which I feel like it is still immature. Most people run the recessives race, at least in part. They do that because having a stable of recessive cats to breed with the new starters saves time, which saves catfood, which saves money, and also the resulting kittens already have some really good recessive traits hiding. And these cats sell better as well.
But.
The market for boutique cats lags behind - the cats that are sold because they are aesthetically pleasing. I can see a future where a healthy section of the market buys cats not because they are 9T amazing recessive, but because, wow that whisker color brings out the highlights in an eye. Where it's not all about having the white mysterious whisker minimum and white mysterious whiskers on cats that don't look good with them, but maybe having, say, chocolate GUITAR whiskers on a cat because that whisker shape works so well with the pattern of the fur. In this sort of market, having more traits is absolutely better. Because the traits become paints that we work with.

I have to agree with you on both statements. I would be more concerned with information about what will happen with what we have Now once SL2 comes. Also, I tend to like a cat that is esthetically pleasing...I think its like an art form to create a look and style in cats. And this is not always about the most recessives we can pile on a cat. LOL Some conglomerations of recessives can be quite hideous! I prefer a cat whose look holds my gaze

SUN 4pm & WED 11am Poison's Paradise
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Th.../46/238/21

THURS 6pm
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sc...220/128/26

Be The Change You Wish to See in the World (Mahatma Gandhi)
 Thanks given by: Illuminatra Resident , Icestron Resident , Aubreygrace Starlight , brittanybelike Resident
10-27-2014, 03:19 AM
I'm all for boutique kitties!
They are fun to make but at the current market mindset better to hoard.
At least that is what I do with my TLC kitties.
I don't like some calculator marks my hard work down to the point it is not even funny anymore.
Some projects take ages: wrong genders, kitties which refuse to listen and all ;-)

I think though and mainly hope the future of KittyCatS! will indeed be boutique kitties gosh I'd love to buy and maybe even sell them.

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Thanks given by: Illuminatra Resident , Icestron Resident , Deer Thistle , Mizaki Resident , Kendrah Vantelli

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)