Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Every 7 kittens born, 6 are normal size and 1 special size!
11-01-2014, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2014 08:42 AM by Tad Carlucci.)
RE: Every 7 kittens born, 6 are normal size and 1 special size!
(10-31-2014 11:15 PM)jwenting Resident Wrote:  Tad, just because it's not breedable doesn't mean there's no pattern programmed into the cats.
The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Actually, yes they are.

Proof of a 'pattern' is sufficient (but not necessary) to disprove 'random'

There is provably NO pattern to size, which is necessary (but not sufficient) to prove randomness.

Yes, I can prove there is no pattern. The proof requires an understanding of number theory, and information theory, which I doubt many here have and even fewer would like to plough through.

Personally, while I take KittyCats assertion that it is random as sufficient, I have tested a small dataset to verify the claim appears true. The OP dataset is large enough for a quick test, btw, if we presume no selection bias (as was claimed).

Further, as a programmer, I understand the ease of producing a random dataset, and the difficulty of producing a systemic pattern which does not yield easily to analysis (that field of number theory is called 'cryptography').
Just because the odds of an event are not 'even' .. all outcomes are equally likely .. does not mean it is non-random.

The odds of a caesium atom decaying are less than 1 in 10,000,000,000, completely random, yet, given enough such atoms, we can use that very randomness to calibrate our clocks to amazing accuracy. Just because 'time' is regulated and systemic (linear, in fact) does not mean the decay of caesium which produces 'standard time' must also be non-random.
I know the PRNG KittyCats uses. It is very, very good. The odds of it producing a pattern, and becoming non-random are less than the odds of that caesium atom decaying. The solution, to avoid that problem, is to use a good entropy source to re-seed after every few million uses. I also know the entropy source, and it is very good, too.

If you want to talk 'could happen' .. well, the odds of the heat-death of the Universe occurring in your lifetime are about equal to the odds of KittyCaS's PNRG breaking down .. 'aint gonna happen' is a good-enough approximation of either event.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: fabioazevedo Oh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Every 7 kittens born, 6 are normal size and 1 special size! - Tad Carlucci - 11-01-2014 08:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 7 Guest(s)