KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: More Cancellations .... what's going on breeders ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(08-26-2015 02:38 PM)Devilness Chant Wrote: [ -> ]Originally, auctions were meant to be elite. And I also don't mean this to be rude either.

It used to be we only had a few auctions a week. Auctions were meant to sell those new traits, special kitties, so forth. The ones you didn't find a lot of in shops. They were the elite kitties. That is why I said, there just aren't enough special kitties to go in so many auctions and not enough lindens to buy in all the auctions there are now.

So now, instead of a larger group of ppl going to an auction. Ppl have split off to certain ones. That's why you don't always get those big turn outs. Ppl not bothering to show up. The same ppl buying and selling each others kitties. Ppl like me that are just burnt out on the whole idea. And so forth.

Lana, Don't get discouraged. I've had some bad experiences, but there are nice auctioneers that will kindly tell you if they can sell your kitty or not. Don't take it personal and keep trying. A kitty doesn't have to be a 9t to be a worthy kitty. lol
I personally love both eye shapes and pupil sizes. Some don't like shades on kitties.
If you ask someone and they're a bit rude about it, ask someone else till you find that person that knows how to treat your feelings with respect. And when you find that kind person, ask them what they're looking for to sell in their auction. In the mean time, enjoy your kitties.

I have to agree with your strongly on a few things. Yes, there will be some bad experiences because this may be SL but its inhabitants are from RL and in RL not everyone is nice and courteous. So, there will be helpful respectful ones and others not so much. The latter do not reflect all of us. I have met some really awesome people here and Those are the ones that make it worthwhile.

And no, not all worth cats have to be 9T...I always tell my patrons "there is 9t and then there is NINE T". Not all 9T are created equal! I menagerie more 9T cats than i care t admit to simply because if they dont have anything I feel is worth breeding, I wont breed or feed it and I wont sell it because no matter where it goes, that pedigree will have My name on it and will define my cattery LOL. But I will quickly add that at my auctions I also promote the use of "classics" (I dont like the word Old because things only get old when they are not kept up). In fact, I just started a new kind of auction for cats that show Design that is not like every other cat i see. That means that often the cats will have classic and new traits used to create a uniquely beautiful cat reflecting the breeder's tastes, sense of style and vision. That excites me more than anything else when someone brings me their "Boutique" kitty. If we don't take the existing traits and furs and "make them our own" we will all be breeding the same cats and every auction will have the same combinations of new. I have a short attention span I guess but I would get bored mass producing Any trait or combination over and over and I Have to believe my patrons would also become jaded.
(08-26-2015 10:36 PM)Kayleigh McMillan Wrote: [ -> ]I think, and I always have done it that way, people should really breed for combinations they like.
Those kitties are often valued for their esthetics.
Maybe not by auctioneers, perhaps they look for the latest and the greatest even if it has one desired trait with a hyper recessive hidden, but there is certainly market for pretty.

Exactly my sentiments! Anyone that knows me knows I am not just about newness or recessiveness...for me if its not Pretty, its not for Pretty. I have to like what I breed and encourage others to follow their bliss when it comes to breeding projects. The esthetics are very important and I think if all we make are what i call "trait boxes" we can easily lose the beauty, creativity and uniqueness of our cats. That would be a loss and a sad one at that. I dont just say this lightly, I actively try to encourage my colleagues to make bold choices off the beaten path - to color outside the lines, if you will. The results can be unexpectedly beautiful. Hey, you know what they say, if you want to make an omelette you have to break a few eggs! Not every attempt will give you what you thought it would be, but if you dont take a chance and you stay within the lines you will never experience that unique "omgahhhh" moments when it Does work!

I see breeding, both rl and sl, as an artistic endeavor. Where would we be without artists and writers who took bold steps? We would have stick figure paintings and See Spot Run.

As auctioneers I think we have a wonderful opportunity to use our own creativity to make not just different types of cats, and encourage others to share their vision. We also have the chance to Create New Types of auctions with New Themes! I Love doing that! I have done Kitties in the Kitchen (recipes with every cat), Prom Night (well suited pairs mesh formalwear I made as gifts), Pajama Party (midnight in mesh PJ's i made as gifts), and the newest Boutique auction for those who also like to see kitty design at work, and a Lives Only auction to help us move our cats along once we have what we need from them rather than hoard/breed/feed. I love innovation and creative use of our auction times and I see others do too. Like breeders trying new things, auctioneers also shouldnt be discouraged if their ideas dont work out as well as they thought...again, if we dont at least try, we wont know. I Listen to my patrons, I ask my group what they think of ideas I have and they are Not shy about telling me! I think this keeps auctions alive and vibrant so that we dont all become jaded.
Just noticed people were still replying on my thread (cool) yes it's just me Big Grin

Just wanted to address something that's been brought up here by a few people and that's the types of kitties available at Auctions. I personally don't breed your average Kitty meaning I like to breed traits that are long retired or in danger of being completely bred out such as the Odyssey Splash eye, I mean when was the last time you saw that ?? (Today coz I'm breeding it lol, joke) but seriously, I breed traits you don't see every day and yes I have been guilty of putting kitties in Auction with that "One Trait", in my case it was snappy whisker on a Pink and White (shudders) but that was nearly because it was from a project and I didn't need it (it was the fur I didn't need, no offence). I also like to mix things up a little by breeding older/retired/dom traits and newer/recessive traits together on one kitty.

But I agree, Auctions are beginning to become carbon copies of each other, you get to the point where you can almost guess which kitties are going to be in the line up before you spy them or the line up. I personally put this down to three things. Investment, Imagination or lack of and Teaching.

Teaching: Too many newer breeders are hearing Recessive Recessive Recessive, Recessive is the best ............. sorry but NOOOOOOOOO it really isn't. As Poison likes to say, with recessive traits there's no wiggle room. Like when everyone bred the Dry Olive to the Onyx and now people are cursed with the Dry Olive coming through on the Onyx eyes, there's no wiggle room. Hands up, yes I did do that but since I got wiser and actually bred my Onyx to a Peach Bellini of all things BUT it it's doing the trick, so far from 3 lines, I've not had Dry Olive (YAY). We need to teach differently and stop telling newer breeders Recessive is best.

Imagination: This is where I'm going to get it in the neck (not the perosn, British saying) some (quite a lot) breeders have lost their imagination. I can sit at an auction and look at a kitty and think, what if I switched that eye for this eye or put this fur on it, is it even possible ? How many people ACTUALLY do that ?? Currently I'm working on the Maine Coon Silver Tortoiseshell with Odyssey Splash eyes. It looks very funky but at the same time, keeping to lesser seen traits alive.

Investment: Most people just aren't willing to invest time in working lines for generations and generations, refining them, making "pure lines" so to speak. Now I'm gonna let a secret out the bag, on a shelf in my cattery is a box with lots of little boxes in it and in each box is a pair of kitties from almost every pair of kitties I've bred in the past 12-18 months (I say almost because some pairings REALLY didn't work). In some cases I have two pairs. I understand some people haven't the time, money etc to do this but sooooo many breeders really could instead of pumping out the same kitties as Fred and Wilma on the next panel.

Looking at or changing at least one of these would soooooo help bring variety and the "Elite" kitties (Stolen from Devilness Chant) back to Auctions. Something else that'll make me more unpopular with Auctioneers than I already am (breathes) .......... Thinking outside of the box as far as Auctions goes. I know that a certain Auctioneer (Poison) has been doing things a little different with the Lives Auctions and soon the Boutique Auctions but I think more thinking outside of the box would help. Too many times you tp to the auction, sit down, have an hour plus long Auction of the same thing as the last one and then Auction over and to the next one. I KNOW how hard Auctioneers have it from experience BUT I think that's something the community can help with, people just need to reach out.

Well that's it from me, I'll go back to my little corner of SL but please have a think on what I've said and these are only my own opinions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again, this is not meant as an attack on any breeder, Auctioneer, Auction, Sim or Sim Owner.

Have fun breeding those KittyCatS!
(09-08-2015 12:17 PM)phoenixfire01 Resident Wrote: [ -> ]Just noticed people were still replying on my thread (cool) yes it's just me Big Grin

Just wanted to address something that's been brought up here by a few people and that's the types of kitties available at Auctions. I personally don't breed your average Kitty meaning I like to breed traits that are long retired or in danger of being completely bred out such as the Odyssey Splash eye, I mean when was the last time you saw that ?? (Today coz I'm breeding it lol, joke) but seriously, I breed traits you don't see every day and yes I have been guilty of putting kitties in Auction with that "One Trait", in my case it was snappy whisker on a Pink and White (shudders) but that was nearly because it was from a project and I didn't need it (it was the fur I didn't need, no offence). I also like to mix things up a little by breeding older/retired/dom traits and newer/recessive traits together on one kitty.

But I agree, Auctions are beginning to become carbon copies of each other, you get to the point where you can almost guess which kitties are going to be in the line up before you spy them or the line up. I personally put this down to three things. Investment, Imagination or lack of and Teaching.

Teaching: Too many newer breeders are hearing Recessive Recessive Recessive, Recessive is the best ............. sorry but NOOOOOOOOO it really isn't. As Poison likes to say, with recessive traits there's no wiggle room. Like when everyone bred the Dry Olive to the Onyx and now people are cursed with the Dry Olive coming through on the Onyx eyes, there's no wiggle room. Hands up, yes I did do that but since I got wiser and actually bred my Onyx to a Peach Bellini of all things BUT it it's doing the trick, so far from 3 lines, I've not had Dry Olive (YAY). We need to teach differently and stop telling newer breeders Recessive is best.

Imagination: This is where I'm going to get it in the neck (not the perosn, British saying) some (quite a lot) breeders have lost their imagination. I can sit at an auction and look at a kitty and think, what if I switched that eye for this eye or put this fur on it, is it even possible ? How many people ACTUALLY do that ?? Currently I'm working on the Maine Coon Silver Tortoiseshell with Odyssey Splash eyes. It looks very funky but at the same time, keeping to lesser seen traits alive.

Investment: Most people just aren't willing to invest time in working lines for generations and generations, refining them, making "pure lines" so to speak. Now I'm gonna let a secret out the bag, on a shelf in my cattery is a box with lots of little boxes in it and in each box is a pair of kitties from almost every pair of kitties I've bred in the past 12-18 months (I say almost because some pairings REALLY didn't work). In some cases I have two pairs. I understand some people haven't the time, money etc to do this but sooooo many breeders really could instead of pumping out the same kitties as Fred and Wilma on the next panel.

Looking at or changing at least one of these would soooooo help bring variety and the "Elite" kitties (Stolen from Devilness Chant) back to Auctions. Something else that'll make me more unpopular with Auctioneers than I already am (breathes) .......... Thinking outside of the box as far as Auctions goes. I know that a certain Auctioneer (Poison) has been doing things a little different with the Lives Auctions and soon the Boutique Auctions but I think more thinking outside of the box would help. Too many times you tp to the auction, sit down, have an hour plus long Auction of the same thing as the last one and then Auction over and to the next one. I KNOW how hard Auctioneers have it from experience BUT I think that's something the community can help with, people just need to reach out.

Well that's it from me, I'll go back to my little corner of SL but please have a think on what I've said and these are only my own opinions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again, this is not meant as an attack on any breeder, Auctioneer, Auction, Sim or Sim Owner.

Have fun breeding those KittyCatS!

Well thats just it for you missy! LOL...nah, i like you at my auctions...ffs someone has to keep me in check! But yes, input from all patrons is really a good thing. After all, they are the ones who have to spend that time with us. Just this morning I went to my group's chat and kicked around a few ideas and it really does help. I mean seriously, its not "the pretty poison show". It has to be fun for all of us or is just another auction...thanx!
This is a fun thread to read, it's reminding me of the days when I actually had time to attend auctions regularly LOL I really miss them, especially the ones where we would laugh our butts off so much people couldn't type or couldn't see their screen because their eyes were watering. I used to go to auctions just for the fun and the social aspect, and walking away with a cat was just a bonus. Does anyone remember when Callie would show up at random to an auction and rename all the cats things like "GOING HOME WITH CALLIE" ? LOL And I will never forget Sanura's auctions: she'd be so into what she was doing and focused on cats and panels that I could cover her avatar in pickles or cupcakes or kittens and she wouldn't notice until the end... and everyone else would be soooooo patient and not say a word the entire auction except to make innocent and subtle comments like "...I'm in a pickle if I don't win this cat..."

I miss the themed auctions; a few people in the past have done them, such as a retired traits auction or all white cats auction (we didn't have many black cats back then besides the Russian muahahahaha but a black cat auction would be awesome (halloween?) You'd have me there for sure!

[Image: 8540007579_8fb8affd4d_b.jpg]

[Image: 8560247099_86fb376137_b.jpg]

(When I cleaned up all those pickles, I purposely left the one that sat in her mouth. The next time she sat down there I got an IM, "YOU LEFT A PICKLE IN MY MOUTH!!" LOL)
(09-08-2015 08:51 PM)Wendi Lavendel Wrote: [ -> ]This is a fun thread to read, it's reminding me of the days when I actually had time to attend auctions regularly LOL I really miss them, especially the ones where we would laugh our butts off so much people couldn't type or couldn't see their screen because their eyes were watering. I used to go to auctions just for the fun and the social aspect, and walking away with a cat was just a bonus. Does anyone remember when Callie would show up at random to an auction and rename all the cats things like "GOING HOME WITH CALLIE" ? LOL And I will never forget Sanura's auctions: she'd be so into what she was doing and focused on cats and panels that I could cover her avatar in pickles or cupcakes or kittens and she wouldn't notice until the end... and everyone else would be soooooo patient and not say a word the entire auction except to make innocent and subtle comments like "...I'm in a pickle if I don't win this cat..."

I miss the themed auctions; a few people in the past have done them, such as a retired traits auction or all white cats auction (we didn't have many black cats back then besides the Russian muahahahaha but a black cat auction would be awesome (halloween?) You'd have me there for sure!

[Image: 8540007579_8fb8affd4d_b.jpg]

[Image: 8560247099_86fb376137_b.jpg]

(When I cleaned up all those pickles, I purposely left the one that sat in her mouth. The next time she sat down there I got an IM, "YOU LEFT A PICKLE IN MY MOUTH!!" LOL)

yeah I love themed ones...and I do like to mess around...just ask anyone who has "fallen asleep" (afk) at my auctions and come back to find themselves decorated like xmas trees, wearing tutu (the guys), woke up in a gift box or whatever seemed fun at the moment LOL
(09-08-2015 08:51 PM)Wendi Lavendel Wrote: [ -> ]This is a fun thread to read, it's reminding me of the days when I actually had time to attend auctions regularly LOL I really miss them, especially the ones where we would laugh our butts off so much people couldn't type or couldn't see their screen because their eyes were watering. I used to go to auctions just for the fun and the social aspect, and walking away with a cat was just a bonus. Does anyone remember when Callie would show up at random to an auction and rename all the cats things like "GOING HOME WITH CALLIE" ? LOL And I will never forget Sanura's auctions: she'd be so into what she was doing and focused on cats and panels that I could cover her avatar in pickles or cupcakes or kittens and she wouldn't notice until the end... and everyone else would be soooooo patient and not say a word the entire auction except to make innocent and subtle comments like "...I'm in a pickle if I don't win this cat..."

I remember with great fondness Mizas Tuesday auctions at Chateau Village before it closed and how there was a different theme every week and we had to name our cats accordingly and almost everyone came up with a little display in the theme, not to mention how Lokhe(Jackson Verlack) would redecorate the auction stage every week in keeping with the theme. I'm sure Red recalls those too as I bought so many of her cats at those auctions.
I recently started dragging out some of the displays I still have sat in my inventory to use at Ambers auctions. I loved the themes because people not only were thinking outside the box in names and displays many of us were looking for cats to fit the theme as well which result in a huge variety of awesome cats. It really was amazing to see how with one theme over a dozen people could think so differently.
Of course early placement was key.
Maybe after CV closed I started branching out more because until it closed those were pretty much the only auctions I went to, but I noticed towards the end of last year and the beginning of this year that sameness creeping into auctions, it started with the Aussie furs, you would go and see at least one of each sometimes 2 if the genders were different meaning almost half the panels were Aussies and it was just copy and repeat auction after auction. I think its getting better now as people have gotten bored of recessive recesive recessive and the new breeds/furs from the last batch of collections has lost their shine, I just hope the halloween release doesn't trigger a return to the mundane throwing out of low traited, honestly, not great cats because one trait is a new one and therefore the normal trait rules don't apply.
Like Red I like to mix old/retired/dominant traits with new/recessive ones mixing with new dominant is hard because it seems everythings new and recessive these days. I really hope the new collections don't bring us another new most recessive fur before we see what can be done with the current one. Or a new most recessive anything actually, I'd like to see some awesome new more dominant traits to encourage a move away from recessive breeding before we lose some of the best traits in KittyCats because they are dominant.

(08-27-2015 07:36 AM)MsMagick Resident Wrote: [ -> ]
On the issue of buying and setting up your panel in advance:

I was at an auction the other day where the auctioneer and SIM owner said she wanted people to start setting up 24 hours in advance! Beyond the fact that there are some daily auctions where you couldn't set up that far in advance, in my experience, that would increase the likelihood of people not being there when it was time for their panel to be called. I used to set up the night before, but was going through issues in RL that caused me to miss auctions where I was already set up! Which also meant that the panel couldn't be released to someone else and the auctioneer - and everyone else - was left wondering where I was. I also find that if I do grab a panel too soon for an elite auction, I might not have anything for it, and wind up IMing the auctioneer in advance to release it. So, I'm finding it best for me to go to auctions where I can buy a panel and set it up 1 1/2 to 3 or so hours beforehand - basically when I have a better idea of how my health and RL schedule are going that day, as well as knowing what I plan to go on it.

I know that a lot of KC auctions have boards to select your panel days or even a week in advance. Why not go the other way: Don't allow anyone to buy the panel until they are open and reset from the previous auction - or, for those that only happen a few times a week, not until 24 hours before the auction. Also, only allow one regular panel, and one special panel if you have them, per person at this time. That way people still have a chance of getting one once they have a good idea that they will be there. Yes, RL issues still come up - they always will - but you're a lot less likely to forget that you have a panel if you just went to get it.

Then, if the panel isn't set up, and any required notecard submitted, by an hour before the auction, release the empty panels, without refund, to whomever is there and wants one.

Just a comment on this, I assist Amber in her auctions and due to the fact that I'm +8 on SL and shes +17 we really need all panels set up and ready at least 12 hours before the auction so we can look at the cats be familiar with them and make notes to better enable Amber to seel the cats rather than just stumbling through a pedigree. Sure we make mistakes sometimes but we do this to give Amber confidence in what shes saying and so the Buyers and Sellers have confidence in her.
While I recognise that people have RL that can prevent attendance or you may not get a cat you feel is good enough, please also remember the auctioneers have RL too and more often than not the set up times they request are in order to allow them to be prepared for the auction and STILL do their RL's. As I always say RL first, yep patrons have RL but so do the auctioneers they don't make these requests to be difficult but to have lives too.
We have had people set up after the start of the auction and sure we manage but thats 1 panel and its not the norm, if we get a late setup e don't see because we have to sleep and take care of RL, Amber likes to invite the audience to go through the pedigre with her this way new breeders can learn as well. 8 panels set up 2 or 3 hours before would be a nightmare, don't forget auctioneers advertise your cats in the forums, on facebook on twitter and in groups so get interest. I do that for Amber 12 hours before the auction because I literally get out of bed and log in to the assist her. Any cats not placed at that time don't get advertised. Although we have it as rule we do try not to release panels until just before the auction because we realise that RL does happen.
I'm actively encouraging people to set up for the weekends auctions from Tuesday onwards. Yesterday I passed Dei my cat for her Monday auction so she can do her thing with it Smile. All auctioneers just want to sell your cats and get the best price for them to do this they need the help of the sellers with timely set ups.
So I'd like to reiterate what Red said at the start of the thread and thats basically that people need to help the auctioneers by getting their cats to them when the auctioneer requests because theres a reason they are asking.
Hey Arwen, I remember those Auctions at CV with all the different displays. I enjoyed those both as a builder and as a breeder and agreed, back then there really wasn't that much of an issue with double furs etc because as you said, people were trying to find kitties that fit the theme of the event. Even if Auctioneers don't do every Auction like that, even if it is only once a month or something like that, it breaks up the endless line of samey Auctions. I must admit, of late I haven't been to many if any auctions, neither as a seller or buyer. We seem to have gotten to that stage again where Auctions are almost silent apart from the Auctioneer. I know that sometimes this can't be helped, not every Auction can be a barrel of laughs and I know that Auctioneers do try to liven the Auction up but Auctions are melding into one big Auction especially when you got to lots of them.

I must also agree about the traits. I hope that Halloween and Christmas doesn't bring more "Most Recessive" traits and that more dom traits are released encouraging people to use the dom traits that are fast disappearing from KC Secondary Markets and Catteries. Some vanishing traits are so beautiful on the right cat and the more we see these traits, I think the more we will see them coming back to the Markets, Auctions and people's catteries. I think the lost traits randomly reappear and go through phases of popularity which is a shame. I think mixing the Dom with the Recessive can produce the most beautiful kitties.

Just imagine, a Tonki Blue with Mocha eyes, Snowshoe Lilac with Tranquility, A Foxie Cocoa Cream with Forest ....... the possibilities are endless and most beautiful so why stick with the same furs, the same recessive traits. Don't get me wrong, the flame snappy whisker on the right kitty would look gorgeous BUT we need to move away from EVERYTHING being recessive.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's