Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Toy and Teacups feedback
04-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Toy and Teacups feedback
I have mixed feelings about the toys/teacups. At first I thought might be a cool thing because I thought they would be very rare, but we seem to be getting a fairly high percentage of them. I was thinking it might be more like 1% of them, and although I havent bred enough to really see the ratio, we have already gotten 4 teacups and 2 toys and maybe have had 30-40 boxes. Now I am actually worried when breeding some of our prize cats that the one time i get a really good eye to pass or something its going to wind up being a teacup or a toy which I dont really want. I very well may be in the minority here and this is just my opinion.

I would rather have an option of not getting toys/teacups when I breed. Maybe just when i goto unpack the box the option to birth it regular and not as a toy/teacup.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2011, 09:10 AM
RE: Toy and Teacups feedback
(04-26-2011 08:25 AM)Kristoffer Juneau Wrote:  Now I am actually worried when breeding some of our prize cats that the one time i get a really good eye to pass or something its going to wind up being a teacup or a toy which I dont really want. I very well may be in the minority here and this is just my opinion.

I agree with you. I am not very happy about my standard size kitties having tea cups and/or toys.

I would of rather them come out as a new kitty group sold at the store as starters just like the standard size starters they sell.

For example
Standard starters - only produce standard size kitties (what we started with)
Toy Starters - only produce toy size kitties
Teacup Starter - only produce Teacup size kitties

Then we would have a choice if we wanted to breed to stay size pure or breed a standard to a toy/ toy to a teacup and so on.

Jacey Faith
04-26-2011, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2011 02:57 PM by Aywren Sojourner.)
Personally, I was thrilled to see new variations of kitties become randomly breedable from my current kitties. I like this SO much better than being forced to purchase new starters just to get what's new!!!! I really can't stress that feeling enough.

For example: I birthed a teacup kitty box today. It had good parents and nice eyes, but was a starter pelt. However, because it was a teacup, it sold to a very willing buyer who was quite happy to get a teacup. The same cat minus the teacup size probably would have found a home in the menagerie instead. So I can see this helping out some of the starter pelts that may not have as much value as special pelts on the market -- as long as it remains rare.

I can't comment on the rarity, however, but I have heard quite a few birthed since release. Of my three boxes this weekend, I got one teacup. I don't know if I'm just very lucky or if these are the going rates.

As for birthing a teacup or toy that has traits you want. Well, that kitty in particular will be smaller, sure. But since the size trait doesn't pass, it really doesn't effect any of the offspring you breed from that kitty. They will still breed and pass traits just like a normal sized kitty, and the size may even be a boon later if you decide to put the kitty up for sale after you've bred it. While I personally prefer bigger cats to smaller ones, if I breed a kitty with great traits that turns out toy or teacup, I wouldn't pass it off just because of the size.

That being said, I'm all for giving options! So I completely support the idea of KittyCatS allowing breeders to choose to birth the teacup or toy as a regular kitty if that is at all possible.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Lyrilen Moonshadow
04-26-2011, 05:14 PM
(04-26-2011 02:56 PM)Aywren Sojourner Wrote:  Personally, I was thrilled to see new variations of kitties become randomly breedable from my current kitties. I like this SO much better than being forced to purchase new starters just to get what's new!!!! I really can't stress that feeling enough.

Yes I liked the idea they made this available for all cats, although I am assuming that will not be the case for actual traits. Such as the new eyes that you can get only from the Spring cats. Really it has to be like this, because your cats traits are set when they are born so you can't inject new traits into them down the road. So the only way to get new traits makes sense to have to purchase new starters.

I agree with the fact that it has created some demand for less desirable cats now that otherwise would go to the menagerie. That is the other reason i would like them to be more difficult to get. Being that they seem fairly common to get the value in them will quickly diminish.
04-26-2011, 05:17 PM
I have only had two boxes since the weekend, both were normal sized cats. I so want a teacup, but I can wait.

Like Aywren, I am not sure why it would be an issue if you got a prize cat in teacup or toy size. Its not a trait, it doesn't pass, that teacup or toy can have a normal sized baby so that prized cat is at least as good as it would be normal sized. And...since its new, it would probably sell for more should you try to sell it.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
04-26-2011, 11:38 PM
(04-26-2011 05:14 PM)Kristoffer Juneau Wrote:  
(04-26-2011 02:56 PM)Aywren Sojourner Wrote:  Personally, I was thrilled to see new variations of kitties become randomly breedable from my current kitties. I like this SO much better than being forced to purchase new starters just to get what's new!!!! I really can't stress that feeling enough.

Yes I liked the idea they made this available for all cats, although I am assuming that will not be the case for actual traits. Such as the new eyes that you can get only from the Spring cats. Really it has to be like this, because your cats traits are set when they are born so you can't inject new traits into them down the road. So the only way to get new traits makes sense to have to purchase new starters.

I agree with the fact that it has created some demand for less desirable cats now that otherwise would go to the menagerie. That is the other reason i would like them to be more difficult to get. Being that they seem fairly common to get the value in them will quickly diminish.

I agree that teacups and toys should be kept somewhat rare. Not so rare you never see them, but rare enough to keep the value up.

I also agree with new traits released from new starters, though that doesn't always mean pushing the customers out to buy a bulk of starter packs. I feel that releasing a handful of new eyes and a new shade as guaranteed secondary traits from a limited edition spring kitty was a great way of doing this.

Yes, in theory, we were buying a new starter kitty. But since some of us would have bought the spring kitty for a collection anyhow, this is an added bonus. Unlike purchasing a whole new starter pack, you know that you have the chance to get new traits from your spring kitty... rather than just crossing your fingers that a new starter pack might have new traits. That gets expensive fast and does nothing but flood the market (as we all know).

I think releasing random traits such as the teacup and the toy is a nice balance for those who might not purchase the spring kitties. Doing it this way gives everyone a chance to try for something new. In the long run, it keeps breeding interesting and helps keep those who purchase traited limited editions and those who did not happier.

Just my thoughts. Blush

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-27-2011, 02:13 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2011 06:12 AM by Glod Gloom.)
I would have nothing against if the dimensions Toy and Teacup to right inheritable Traits would make.

Just from realism it would be also more sensible. There is also RL breeder, who breed their animals specially small.

I think it´s an enrichment was with the Traits and also in the breeding-cycle. Also the economic factor would be huge.

I find it also not bad which comes the new Traits only with the spring- or with the new Starter-Cats. This makes the thing with the breeding from my view even more interesting.
If all old Pussys had now already the new Traits, this would become dull anyhow.

Very briefly: I would be for, the Sizes also to inheritable Traits become. in second i think that the new Traits coming only with the new starters or the Spring cats, it's not very dramatically. Fresh blood in the breed is always good!

(and... sorry for my bad english)
04-27-2011, 11:21 AM
hi all Smile

At first i would like to say something about the percentage, without revailing the actual numbers...
Toys & teacups are not as rare as Kristoffer hoped them to be, but, on average, not as common as his own experience revails.

Group Chat may also be a bit misleading where it comes to getting any view on how many cats with a certain appearance are born,
actually that much that we did log the actual births of toys & teacups vs normal sized cats to see if the percentages were right afterall.

uncommon stuff is mentioned relativly more then common.

Making something more "rare" also always means that you are making something else automatically more common.
This means you may get an even more valuable cat if you get one of the more rare ones, but together with that you will get more of the common cats, which now have an even lower value.

Also, the fact that you can breed for everything is automatically its weakest point.
People can breed for specific treats, making the most uncommon more common, even they were specifially breeding those because they were uncommon at first afterall...

Bringing in one parameter where noone can specifically breed for avoids this problem, especially with something as size, where you can't add to much new possible outcommes in future.
Putting all sizes as separate breedables that can't cross breed would ofcourse do the same, but that takes away some of the excitement, and as i feel, most people would like that less.

Regards,
KittyCatS
 Thanks given by: Jacey Faith
04-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info KittyCatS!!! I understand better now how the new sizes work. I hope anyway. lol

At first I thought the sizes where new traits and was thinking it would change the hidden traits my kitties carry, which is one of the biggest challenges in breeding I like to figure out its like a kewl mystery waiting to be discovered. I have worked hard figuring out what my breeding kitties hidden traits are so was concerned this would change that.

So the chances of getting a tea cup or toy are the same odds no matter what size kitties you breed together so even if we breed 2 toys together that would not increase the chances of getting a toy baby. Right?

Jacey Faith
04-28-2011, 08:19 AM
one of the things that has kinda piqued my interest is that the new sizes might be a way to penetrate the pet market. Every teacup or toy I get, I think -- I'll keep that one for a pet! I think they might appeal to a lot of people who are shopping for one or two cats to keep as pets.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)