Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Counting traits for potential
11-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Counting traits for potential
Hi Smile I'm just posting this after seeing what may have been some confusion in some ads and also seeing posts from people interested in learning more about counting traits.

The way I've learned it at least, we count direct potential from traits not showing in the OS but showing in one of the parents to "fill" a slot where the OS shows genesis features.

For example, this kitty shows 2 traits (frisky tail and booboo ears), but has 9T potential if we look at mum:

KITTEN:
Fur: Genesis - Smokey II
Eyes: Genesis Meadow (Curious|Big)
Shade: Natural
Tail: Frisky
Ears: Boo Boo
Whiskers: Silver (Guitar)
Size: Toy

MUM: ? A Perfect Daisy
? 111
Cattery

Fur: Siamese - Chocolate
Eyes: Gerbera Blue (Mysterious|Small)
Shade: Illume
Tail: Plush
Ears: Soft Fold
Whiskers: White (Mysterious)
Size: Normal

DAD: ? Gawen
? 38
Cattery
Mummy Mia! - Petrified Pink
Tail: Genesis
Ears: Genesis

Mum has directly passed a trait fur, eye colour and shape, small pupil, shade and whisker shape and colour. The kitten's 7 missing traits. The kitten is now able to pass 9 traits to his/her OS, depending on the number of hidden traits he/she tosses each time.

Of course MUM has also passed a trait tail and ears, since she can't hide genesis in those slots -and this is where I've noticed the confusion:

Let's suppose kitten has one more trait showing:
KITTEN:
Eyes: Genesis Meadow (Curious|small)
Tail: Frisky
Ears: Boo Boo
Size: Toy

DAD still shows all Genesis traits as before,

DAD: ? Gawen
? 38
Cattery
Mummy Mia! - Petrified Pink
Tail: Genesis
Ears: Genesis

And MUM shows fewer traits:

MUM: ? A Perfect Daisy
? 111
Cattery

Fur: Siamese - Chocolate
Eyes: Gerbera Blue (Curious|Small)
Tail: Plush
Ears: Soft Fold
Whiskers: Silver (Mysterious)

If I add Kitten's 3 traits and mum's 6 traits I have 9 traits, yet not 9T direct potential (direct meaning coming from mum and dad's shown traits), but 6T potential. Mum is "filling" the genesis slots for fur, eye colour and whisker shape only. For the other slots where she shows traits, she's providing Kitten with more options (soft fold ears and a frisky or a more recessive tail she -or dad- must be hiding), but the number of traits Kitten is getting directly from the parents is 6, not 9. There's no shade showing, or mysterious eye shape or whisker colour.

Kitten may very well get these missing 3 traits as hidden, depending on grandparents and randomness, but not for direct 9T potential.

I'm sure there's other breeders that can explain this more clearly, and I hope this doesn't seem like I'm pontificating; I just thought if I'd never been explained what 9T direct potential is and I saw it somewhere, I'd like to have an idea about it.

Bea Shamrock, Kitty carer and breeder

"There are no
ordinary cats"
(Colette)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Sara Franco , Nightflowerlily Resident
11-17-2012, 07:34 PM
RE: Counting traits for potential
I think you're right -there's a 50/50 chance mum passed Twinkle, but no way of knowing until you breed the kitty, if I got it right: Mum's dad shows Twinkle, everyone else porcelain. If so, mum hides twinkle and shows porcelain, so she could have passed twinkle and your kitty have it as the hidden shade. Or mum could have passed her shown porcelain and your kitty is both showing and hiding porcelain, since there's no in-between shade.

Bea Shamrock, Kitty carer and breeder

"There are no
ordinary cats"
(Colette)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)