Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Flying Cats?
08-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Question Flying Cats?
Hello, KittyCatS Fanciers!

For about the last week or so, I've been repeatedly startled (and even a little alarmed) by the specter of my cats flying around my parcel!

What I see is that every once in a while (as much as a few times an hour) I'll see a cat moving through the air, sometimes very fast, sometimes at a moderate pace. Sometimes they fly on a level trajectory, sometimes they angle upward. Sometimes I see them vanish in mid air, sometimes they move through or behind and object so I don't see what happens to them.

They move too fast and disappear too quickly for me to identify which of my specific kitties they are—all I can determine is their general color.

There seems to be no lasting harm from this phenomenon. The cats don't end up in my inventory or go missing.

I keep my kitties on a pair of adjacent parcels I rent on an island sim. The parcels are at the sim boundary and there is only ocean beyond that boundary. (In the past I've had trouble setting my cats' ranges to "parcel" because the kitties will go off the sim and get returned to inventory. Now I set a radius that prevents them from getting to the edge of my parcel and of the sim.)

Has anyone else seen this? Is there an explanation?

Rudy Schwartzman
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2012, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2012 01:37 PM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
RE: Flying Cats?
(08-11-2012 12:41 PM)Rudy Schwartzman Wrote:  Hello, KittyCatS Fanciers!

For about the last week or so, I've been repeatedly startled (and even a little alarmed) by the specter of my cats flying around my parcel! ...

ROFL priceless how you say this, thank you that was a good laugh!
I noticed the same indeed Smile
They Skywalk through my house or go rocket fast meters up!
Funny part is my sim has zero lag ...

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

08-11-2012, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2012 05:01 PM by Bea Shamrock.)
In my experience that phenomenon is called by lag -it might not be sim lag, but lag at your own end, however. I was showing that to my landlord some months ago and I was seeing the kitties fly past me but he wasn't.

I can't say it's definitely that, but that's been my experience.

EAP: Called by lag? I think this kitty meant to say "caused by lag" *blushes*

Bea Shamrock, Kitty carer and breeder

"There are no
ordinary cats"
(Colette)
08-11-2012, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2012 06:38 PM by Tad Carlucci.)
It almost certainly is NOT simulator lag.

Your viewer runs a physics simulation. If you're experiencing network lag, the viewer does not get physics updates from the machines at Linden Labs. So, it uses whatever it has from the last time it heard anything. If something was moving (you, a cat, whatever) using physics (so it has velocity and a direction .. so scripted movement like doors don't count) your viewer continues that movement. Later, when it finally gets new information from Linden Labs, your viewer corrects things to the new positions, velocities, etc.

This actually happens ALL THE TIME! But, usually, the error is so small you barely, if ever, notice it.

If you're having persistent problems I'd suggest starting locally and working toward Linden Labs. Try rebooting your computer. Then your router. Check if you have significant slowdowns accessing common web sites like Google (on the East Coast), Second Life (on the West), the Weather Channel (in Atlanta), etc. If so, call your network provider if rebooting your equipment does not help. If the problem is not on your end, and not with your network provider, it MAY be in the Linden Labs network. If you can, reboot your region .. that will move it to another physical machine over at Linden Labs. If all that fails, get with your Estate Owner and ask for help.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Bea Shamrock
08-11-2012, 10:18 PM
aww darn, i thought it was a new mystery trait KC resident snuck into the update Tongue

the flying KittyCatS! circus!
08-12-2012, 12:01 AM
(08-11-2012 10:18 PM)Callie Cline Wrote:  aww darn, i thought it was a new mystery trait KC resident snuck into the update Tongue

I'm still waiting for DANCING CATS!!!!

Heart KittyCatS lover and LazyCats auctioneer. Heart
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Bea Shamrock
08-12-2012, 08:13 AM
(08-12-2012 12:01 AM)Sanura Snowpaw Wrote:  
(08-11-2012 10:18 PM)Callie Cline Wrote:  aww darn, i thought it was a new mystery trait KC resident snuck into the update Tongue

I'm still waiting for DANCING CATS!!!!

Me too!!!!!!!!!! Smile

Bea Shamrock, Kitty carer and breeder

"There are no
ordinary cats"
(Colette)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)