Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Organizational Tools?
07-26-2012, 07:42 AM
RE: Organizational Tools?
A computer program is simply a series of instructions. Cell formula like "=A1+B1" is a program .. a very simple one, but a program. All Excel does is make it easy enough anyone can do it. It's just a matter of the words. Like a park which says "no dogs" .. I don't HAVE a dog, I have several specimen of "canis familiaris" .. so why are they not allowed in the park?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2012, 12:58 PM
(07-26-2012 07:42 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  A computer program is simply a series of instructions. Cell formula like "=A1+B1" is a program .. a very simple one, but a program. All Excel does is make it easy enough anyone can do it. It's just a matter of the words. Like a park which says "no dogs" .. I don't HAVE a dog, I have several specimen of "canis familiaris" .. so why are they not allowed in the park?

So, from what you are saying, just typing words into a spreadsheet per KittyCats is not allowed? Even if we do not use the formula commands, sorting or any other "data collection" that it has available. I mean I could use Word in a Table but it would be several files. Excel, I just have 1 file and several tabs.

I would like to have one of the KC Reps, explain really what they are saying or if this is not what they mean. Cause if it is then almost every kitty breeder is "breaking" the rules.
Find all posts by this user
07-26-2012, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2012 01:37 PM by Tad Carlucci.)
I'd like that, too.

I waited over a month or so for them to clarify the policy but they never got back to me. But, yes, as they explained it to me, everyone is breaking their rules. But, then, the rules they're talking about are probably only meant to be enforced when it suits them and what they'll allow, or not, depends upon what they think you're doing. The words they used were "only if written by you." I'm sure they mean "except for professionally written software" but then, if that's what they meant, my program would be allowed. So I figure they're not gonna clarify their policy because any clarification they would make would allow me to do what I intended and they don't want me to do that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Tongue RE: Organizational Tools?
(07-26-2012 12:58 PM)Pounceable Resident Wrote:  So, from what you are saying, just typing words into a spreadsheet per KittyCats is not allowed? Even if we do not use the formula commands, sorting or any other "data collection" that it has available. I mean I could use Word in a Table but it would be several files. Excel, I just have 1 file and several tabs.

I would like to have one of the KC Reps, explain really what they are saying or if this is not what they mean. Cause if it is then almost every kitty breeder is "breaking" the rules.

Okay how is keeping an offline list of what cats you have "breaking the rules"? That is all I did in writing the table, that I very openly shared with the KC community. There is a big difference between what I have done and what this other person has created. I know many of us print out the pedigree pages to have as a backup should the KC server crash, or if SL decides to be SL and glitch things up ( like listing a cat in the menagerie when its right in front of you Smile ) So no I do not believe those of us using spreadsheets or tables in Word are breaking the rules. I believe they are talking about creating a system to analyze traits that each cat produces in an attempt to "crack the code" so to speak to figure out what the next cat will birth. Other then that, I'd say if you haven't heard from a CSR telling you not to do it, then assume you're in the clear.

I would also like to apologize to the original poster of this thread who was simply trying to get a simple answer and instead is no doubt watching what appears to have become a firestorm of technicalities and terms. Lets all just drop it and enjoy our cats shall we?

Big Grin Kitty Cats Are Like Potato Chips, You Can Never Have Just One Big Grin
 Thanks given by: Bea Shamrock , penfold83 Resident
07-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for putting it so clearly Tatiana. Smile

Bea Shamrock, Kitty carer and breeder

"There are no
ordinary cats"
(Colette)
07-26-2012, 04:17 PM
(07-26-2012 02:33 PM)Tatiana Cheng Wrote:  
(07-26-2012 12:58 PM)Pounceable Resident Wrote:  So, from what you are saying, just typing words into a spreadsheet per KittyCats is not allowed? Even if we do not use the formula commands, sorting or any other "data collection" that it has available. I mean I could use Word in a Table but it would be several files. Excel, I just have 1 file and several tabs.

Okay how is keeping an offline list of what cats you have "breaking the rules"? That is all I did in writing the table, that I very openly shared with the KC community. There is a big difference between what I have done and what this other person has created. I know many of us print out the pedigree pages to have as a backup should the KC server crash, or if SL decides to be SL and glitch things up ( like listing a cat in the menagerie when its right in front of you Smile ) So no I do not believe those of us using spreadsheets or tables in Word are breaking the rules. I believe they are talking about creating a system to analyze traits that each cat produces in an attempt to "crack the code" so to speak to figure out what the next cat will birth. Other then that, I'd say if you haven't heard from a CSR telling you not to do it, then assume you're in the clear.

I would also like to apologize to the original poster of this thread who was simply trying to get a simple answer and instead is no doubt watching what appears to have become a firestorm of technicalities and terms. Lets all just drop it and enjoy our cats shall we?

Big Grin Isn't that how it usually happens? hehe You think you are asking a harmless question...
07-27-2012, 11:19 AM
(07-25-2012 07:14 PM)dakillakm Resident Wrote:  Wow Rayne! That sounds like you've definitely got it organized! Do you keep track of each kitty vertically or horizontally on the same table or individual tables for each kitty (seems like this would get out of control fast XD). I'm really thinking the countdowns/ups are useful for keeping track of all your kitties in a convenient way!

I have many tabs.. one for live kitties, one for boxes. and one line per kitty with formulas that do a lot of work for me on ages and breeding and the like. just copy and past for formula to the new like and bam! up and running. but it is just how I use it. I have many of the numbers in my head and the like but sometimes I need to see it. it took a long time to write down the information but once I did it went quickly when I had more than one entry pur fur.

Rayne Morningstar
Auctioneer at Too Adorable
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Si...e/37/98/21

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)