Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Frustration in the Cattery! (Let's rant ;))
05-08-2012, 01:22 PM
RE: Frustration in the Cattery! (Let's rant ;))
Frist of yayyyy for a intresting next update Big Grin

(05-08-2012 12:50 PM)anna acanthus Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 11:31 AM)KittyCats Resident Wrote:  Penfold showed us an example where a certain dad got 6 times a girl as offspring (we can't say anything about the unboxed one).
6 boxes can result in 64 different possible combinations, of which 2 of them are either all girls, or all boys.
So for every 32 cats that did have 6 cats as offspring, one would result in all the same gender.
This indeed means the situation can be seen quiet often.

I'm maybe being extra-blonde today but i'm not sure i quite follow this ...
In fact i'm sure i don't Tongue

LOL anna i must be the same went over my head too, now does kitty mean if i keep breeding him i will have a ballance of male and female ? Or does it been the os from the cats ? If its the frist then the RND is just just ermm silly Tongue , a little more ballance after the frist two cats thats male produced would help but you know and not give us that "WIN" key Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2012, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 02:01 PM by Khea Karas.)
(05-08-2012 01:22 PM)penfold83 Resident Wrote:  Frist of yayyyy for a intresting next update Big Grin

[quote='anna acanthus' pid='9644' dateline='1336503032']
[quote='KittyCats Resident' pid='9633' dateline='1336498299']

Penfold showed us an example where a certain dad got 6 times a girl as offspring (we can't say anything about the unboxed one).
6 boxes can result in 64 different possible combinations, of which 2 of them are either all girls, or all boys.
So for every 32 cats that did have 6 cats as offspring, one would result in all the same gender.
This indeed means the situation can be seen quiet often.

Yeh I dont follow either. I was glad to hear there will be an update with something that may help the gender issue Smile
EDIT: Ohh wait now I get it...I think...lol. Out of the 9T possible combinations there are 64 outcomes? Each combination having a chance of being a male or female. ???
Hates maths Wink *scratches head.*

[Image: v9rl.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2012, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 02:10 PM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
To be honest I don't understand as well I feel a little stupid Blush
In the mean while when is this update to be released? Today, now, instantly, as we speak?
... Please!
I can always try right Wink

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom ยป

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

05-08-2012, 03:04 PM
(05-08-2012 02:04 PM)Kayleigh McMillan Wrote:  To be honest I don't understand as well I feel a little stupid Blush
In the mean while when is this update to be released? Today, now, instantly, as we speak?
... Please!
I can always try right Wink

lol

[Image: v9rl.png]
05-08-2012, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 03:49 PM by Liriel Garnet.)
It's a combinatorics problem, n items (6) taken m (2) at a time .. 6 boxes, two sexes. The probability distribution for that is as follows, where the 0-6 can be taken as the probability of getting that many males (or females, since they're reciprocal) out of six boxes.

Sorry, i've tried re-spacing this twice now, and it still refuses to show properly
total combos 64

males 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
combos yeilding 1 6 15 20 15 6 1 64
1.5625% 9.3750% 23.4375% 31.2500% 23.4375% 9.3750% 1.5625% 100%

your chances of getting all females (0 males) is 1.5625%, all males is the same, so total would be 3.125%

you can easily look this up for different numbers of boxes in any standard combinations table.

Kitty Kollege Pawfessor, Kitty Kottage
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Is.../69/224/22
 Thanks given by: Khea Karas , penfold83 Resident
05-08-2012, 04:35 PM
(05-08-2012 03:43 PM)Liriel Garnet Wrote:  It's a combinatorics problem, n items (6) taken m (2) at a time .. 6 boxes, two sexes. The probability distribution for that is as follows, where the 0-6 can be taken as the probability of getting that many males (or females, since they're reciprocal) out of six boxes.

Sorry, i've tried re-spacing this twice now, and it still refuses to show properly
total combos 64

males 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
combos yeilding 1 6 15 20 15 6 1 64
1.5625% 9.3750% 23.4375% 31.2500% 23.4375% 9.3750% 1.5625% 100%

your chances of getting all females (0 males) is 1.5625%, all males is the same, so total would be 3.125%

you can easily look this up for different numbers of boxes in any standard combinations table.

Liriel so if my head can get around all the numbers, on the bright side of things. I is luckey ? in a very bad way ? yayyy go me Tongue

Hey on another quirk i have seen in the past ermm week and a bit is thats im getting a lot more tea cups and toys. has any one else seen this ?
05-09-2012, 12:00 AM
this is what I meant by "beyond statistics" having all one gender in more than one project/family/breeding pair.
Especially as I had this with boys 2 months ago and now I am drowning in girls.

But when I read all the articles, I think something becomes quite clear:
As tough as the market has become for most of the "I dont pump RL money into new traits and tons of cats" breeders, they/we are simply afraid to have to give up breeding sooner or later. And the gender issue is one of a few reasons for that.

No decent breeding possible > no cats to sell > less money to feed > downsizing cattery/less opening of boxes > no improvement in gender relation >go back to start

And the often mentioned "breed for pleasure" does not work for me either because I need both genders to breed at all. An when I pair up the best traited female with the only male in a project and get minimal cat after minimal cat (and I know what the damn male could do) frustration in unavoidable. And then opening these boxes out of dispair for another male, and get all females again ... it adds up. Consequently, I shrunk my cattery by 60% the last few weeks and I am sure, I ll have to downsize even more.

I still do enjoy the cats, but for sure I do not enjoy the frustration when I think my breeding is harder than necessary (obstacles beyond statistics).

http://slurl.com/secondlife/New/44/101/352
 Thanks given by: Khea Karas , Emme Oxygen
05-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Just want to chime in quickly and thank you all for caring enough to share your frustrations. We appreciate that you care enough to share them in a way that is open and candid, yet not blaming.

As Kittycats said in an earlier post, our next update will include something we've wanted for a long time that hopefully will take some of this frustration away Smile

I'm sure at times it may seem like we're not listening or acting fast enough for some of your concerns, but know that we do listen, read, discuss and ADJUST our plans at times and shift things around so we can move ahead with plans we have AND also address things important to you all.

Some can be done fairly quickly, some not so quick...

Anyway, thanks again for expressing your concerns, and also being supportive and encouraging to us as well. It does make us happy when we know you are happy Smile
 Thanks given by: Khea Karas
05-09-2012, 07:34 AM
The odds stated for a "run of six" are correct .. if the goal is a "run of six".

But the goal is a "run of N Heads, followed by a Tails".

So the odds are off by a factor of 2.

The odds of a "run of six Males, followed by a Female" are 1 in 128, not 1 in 64.
 Thanks given by: Khea Karas
05-09-2012, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2012 08:58 PM by Ethereal Hurricane.)
Who's Ozzy?

[Image: heart.gif]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)