Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Our cats positions are being reset?
05-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Our cats positions are being reset?
Hello I was moving my cats to new positions and used the Copy-Paste position in the object tab and now even when my cats are in new positions they always move back to the old copy-pasted location. (The have movement off and are in low prim mode).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2012, 04:55 AM
RE: Our cats positions are being reset?
After you have your cats where you want them to stay, you have to left click the cat to get their menu and choose Animation> Set Home. It sounds like they are returning to their home position. You can also pick up and re rez the cats where you want them to reset their home, but take note that if you edit after that, they will revert upon sleeping, growing etc. So if you re rez then edit to turn them or something..they may face back the the way there were when first rezzed. Hope that helps.

Nacht's Landing
ScratchN Shop
05-02-2012, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 06:17 AM by Tad Carlucci.)
Moving cats with the Edit tools is a good idea; it has far fewer potential problems than take/rez. Keep an eye on the cat's rest when you do it. If the cat is less than 3-5%, you may want to wait until it goes to sleep. The most common error after moving the cat is to forget to Animate/Set Home. If the cat just went to sleep, it could be eight hours before it does so again. If you forgot to set home, when the cat finally falls back asleep, it will jump to it's old home.

Sometimes, after a major move, the All/Jump Home on the HUD is handy. We could do All/Set Home, but it's often easier to fix the errors when those you forgot to re-home jump than to harden the errors by having mis-placed cats set their homes where they stand.

We also sometimes see this with any prim .. like they're rubber-banding. When it happens we try relogging and, if that does not fix it, rebooting our routers since it's usually a communication error on our side.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 01:03 PM by Liphx Fiertze.)
This is what happened. (They ARE NOT RESETING TO HOME or to their REZ position!! Just the old copy-paste position)
(Both his cats and SOME of my cats have the problem since they both stay on my land.)

I got my cats and set their home position on my land. Then when I was moving cats around on their play tower we got lazy and used the Copy-Paste* position shortcut. Later on as we added more cats to the tower I switched around their positions the normal way. Just sliding them around. But now after awhile**, every time I check on them they are back in the old copy-pasted position. He did this to ALL of his cats. And only TWO of my cats. SO I don't think its the Reset Home position problem. Because only the cats that had COPY-PASTE positions have the problem, my other three cats that are on the tower are just fine.

*(On the Object Edit Position tab. I copied one cats exact position and pasted all the other cats into that spot.)

**(I don't know when they are resetting)

Either way he is resetting the home position on his cats that never had a set home, while mine did, I am also reseting the home.
05-02-2012, 07:40 PM
All cats have a Home position. If you did not change it by hand, it's the point at which your rezzed them from inventory, or the point at which they appeared from a box.

Dunno what they do when Cuddled on one sim and Dropped on another .. or pushed across a sim boundary .. I'd expect they'd see the sim change and pick a new Home but have never checked since we always re-Home by hand.

I occasionally have problems with builds jumping around like you're describing with cats. It's a network problem, usually on your end. Rebooting your routers and computers usually fixes it.
05-02-2012, 11:19 PM
(05-02-2012 07:40 PM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  All cats have a Home position. If you did not change it by hand, it's the point at which your rezzed them from inventory, or the point at which they appeared from a box.

Dunno what they do when Cuddled on one sim and Dropped on another .. or pushed across a sim boundary .. I'd expect they'd see the sim change and pick a new Home but have never checked since we always re-Home by hand.

I occasionally have problems with builds jumping around like you're describing with cats. It's a network problem, usually on your end. Rebooting your routers and computers usually fixes it.

I don't think you understood (:

-Didnt cuddle and drop on another.
-Didn't push aross a sim/region/sim border.
-We know they all have a home point. Smile I assumed it would be understood he didn't manually set one when I said he didnt pick one.

[By the way it isn't the build? He lives in the UK, I live in the USA. We both have the problem Wink Its not a network issue I know computers, we both do hehe Smile

But thanks for trying to help anyway (: Will post if by tomorrow morning it fixes it.

FYI: For any that don't know, the Copy-Paste position is this button here.

We reset the homes on the afflicted cats and moved them, will know later if it fixed the problem (:

THank you every one who has given advice Big Grin
Will let you know in the morning if it help

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-03-2012, 06:44 AM
When you copy and paste, or use the arrows to drag, the new position is sent by your computer to the sim, but your computer updates the position on your screen immediately. The fact you use the C and P buttons to copy and paste positions as opposed to hand-typing, or using the axis arrows, does not matter.

So, if a communications error occurs, the sim won't see the update-position message. A short while later, your computer gets a position-update FROM the sim. It does not match; so your computer moves the object to THAT position .. usually right back where it started from.

The source of the error is usually at one end or the other, and not somewhere in between. Problems between your home network and the simulator are wide-spread, effecting far more than just you and just the sim. You can't fix them. At best you can call your ISP or Linden Labs and hope its their problem, or they'll kick the problem down the line.

You always have the ability to reboot your computer and routers (or bridges, or modems), and that often fixes it.

As a sim owner, you have the ability to reboot the sim. Restarting a sim moves it to another physical computer, changing network cards, cables, and routers over at a Linden Labs site. Often that, too, fixes the problem; but is only available to those with Estate rights for the simulator.

KittyCatS complicate matters with their fall-asleep-and-jump-home behavior. This effect occurs no matter what prim-mode, pose, or other options you set on the cat. Manually editing the cat's position, however you do it, does NOT override this behavior.

So, if the object which just rubber-banded is a KittyCat, check its status. If the cat is asleep, with very low energy, it's probable the cat simply fell asleep on you and automatically jumped home.

The only way to stop this behavior is to click on the cat and set a new Home position after the move. Even then, there is a short window between the move and the setting of Home and cats can still fall asleep in that window. But, heck, they're cats, they have their own purposes, and our wishes rarely enter into their consideration Smile

So, if you're on two different computers and networks (different continents often, but not always, indicates so), and you're both seeing the problem, either it's normal cat behavior, which setting a new Home position will stop, or it's the sim having problems.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)