Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

kitties fall through floor
07-28-2019, 02:07 PM
kitties fall through floor
Good day everyone
I am new to virtual pets and have just moved into a new house on Bellisseria and my new kitties keep falling through the floor !
Is it a problem with the cats or house?
Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rem Voxel
07-28-2019, 05:24 PM
RE: kitties fall through floor
Cats can pop right through mesh floors (and walls). The general solution is to put down a good old fashioned prim. Create a prim base for underneath the floor, throw a prim carpet or two on top and your cats should be fully supported.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: Synndalicious Resident , Markham Weatherwax
07-29-2019, 02:26 AM
Unfortunately mesh has holes in it, for the most part they are quite small but with lower quality mesh they can be bigger, usually only the smaller cats fall through and once a cat is fully grown it won't, except teacups and some toys which are naturally smaller. The bigger the cat falling through the lower the quality of the mesh. I have seen mesh so bad an avatar can fall through it.
As Ivy stated a good old fashioned prim under the floor will solve the problem, however don't get caught up in the bigger is better idea, I use a 0.5m prim for my platforms and have never had a cat fall through it, whereas I see people constantly complaining that no matter how big they make their prim, 10m in some cases, the cats still fall through, the bigger they go the worse it gets because prims are basically hollow so smaller is actually more solid.

Forum Based Charts

KittyCats Discoveries & Retirements
 Thanks given by: Synndalicious Resident
07-30-2019, 04:43 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2019 04:43 AM by LibGwen Resident.)
I experimented years ago and found the minimum floor prim thickness that works reliably is 0.28m. That or thicker should be fine.
 Thanks given by: Synndalicious Resident , Markham Weatherwax
07-30-2019, 06:47 AM
"mesh has holes" is not a mess issue, it's a designer issue. Most mesh has holes because most mesh designers leave holes. When Charm complains about it, I just tell her to find a better mesh object. The same goes for the "not allowed to rez here" you see all the time with mesh. It's not a mesh-thing, it's a poor-designer thing. The root cause of both issues comes down to the designer not paying attention to the type of phsics they're using, and the shapes of those physics models. Many, I think, don't even try and simply let the upload process guess (badly) at what they actually meant.

The problem with cats moving through floors, as well as walls and ceilings, but floors are more common, has been part of KittyCats since Day One. It has to do with position jitter, and the fact that cats switch physics on and off. The 1/4m rule-of-thumb is just that. It should prevent most cats from managing to work through the floor; but it can fail and once a cat is 'inside' the prim, the prim does not matter at all, no mater what its size.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Synndalicious Resident
03-10-2020, 03:18 PM
(07-28-2019 02:07 PM)Synndalicious Resident Wrote:  Good day everyone
I am new to virtual pets and have just moved into a new house on Bellisseria and my new kitties keep falling through the floor !
Is it a problem with the cats or house?
Thanks in advance

I just got my first KittyCat. ThenI lost her within 10 minutes of getting her. I found her with Area Search... She had fallen through the floor of my houseboat and was running around on the seabed!

If I make a prim will she stick to that prim or can she fall off the edge if her range (5m) extends outside it?

Also... can they walk through wall or will objects be solid things they have to go around?

Thanks!
03-10-2020, 04:02 PM
Hi there!

The best way to keep cats from falling is with a 1m thick prim under the floor. If they can reach the edge/walls then best to add in a 1m thick prim around those as well. That will help keep them in. Smile

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
― Charles Dickens
 Thanks given by: Rem Voxel , Markham Weatherwax , AlannaMaria Resident

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)