Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Your lesser trait cat boxes still have value!
07-24-2018, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2018 02:51 PM by MitsuruKirijo06 Resident.)
RE: Your lesser trait cat boxes still have value!
I for one am not fond of the Tabby fur at all. But everything loves different things. But still the Red Tabby being the most dominate fur has a lot of uses. The best breeders use them a lot to bury traits and uptrait. Think of the Red Tabby being used like the most recessive fur only flip everything upside down. I can use a most recessive fur to uptrait and make a 9T cat and I can do the same with a red tabby. The upside to the Red Tabby is if done right your fur you want to keep doesn't hide another. I also know of at least one breeder who in the fall breed and sells Red Tabby with Fire eye and Flame whisker and it sells like hotcakes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Evolving Yin , Songdog Woolley , AstridSolace Resident
07-25-2018, 02:00 AM
(07-24-2018 02:20 PM)Evolving Yin Wrote:  
(07-24-2018 07:33 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  When was the last time *you* saw a Red Tabby?
I keep Red Tabbies breeding with each new introduction of recessive traits. I use them to clean up my furs, and am waiting for the day when KittyCatS releases another dominant fur and everyone is scrambling to find dominant furs to breed them to, I do the same thing with Mocha eyes.

With that said, I get your point. Maybe some day the old traits will have a retro effect and be in demand, but hard to find. . . . Maybe

Our hopes that the new Tiger! furs would prove dominant to Red Tabbys seems dashed for now, at least as a block, there are still 2 without an upper range set so who knows maye one of them will push on up the charts since they don't look like to sit in a group either.

Forum Based Charts

KittyCats Discoveries & Retirements
 Thanks given by: Evolving Yin
07-25-2018, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2018 04:57 PM by Songdog Woolley.)
(07-24-2018 07:33 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote:  When was the last time *you* saw a Red Tabby?

Becha it's getting to be more rare than most of the recent 'awesome' traits, and many of the 'meh. whatever' middlin' traits from four or five years ago.

Someday someone is gonna look around and say, "I looked everywhere are there are NO Red Tabby boxes!"

OK, OK. So last year when I said the exact same thing a few of you ran to your Catteries and came back to say you had some.

And you're going to do it again, right now.

But betcha fewer of you are coming back to say you have some.

Some day you're all gonna come back and say "Oh, no, we can't find any anywhere."

And when that day comes, you're all gonna agree, 1/2-a-million L$ for a breeding pair of Red Tabbies is quite fair.

And you're all gonna kick yourselves for dumping them into the Menagerie.

Just sayin'

Nods in general agreement. However, I make darn sure I keep at least one of every trait, even every gen trait, boxed in my cattery. Even the traits I don't like. For posterity, ya know? I even have a fantasy about keeping a nice assortment of combinations of traits, up and down the recessiveness AND historical charts. (Which becomes an equation probably involving factorials! that I'd rather avoid) Breeding in my cattery now, even having a box as we speak, is a red tabby in a pairing that is intended to get Marble Magic on that fur. That combination will have immense usefulness in traiting up a recessive fur with the currently most recessive eye.

That said, I menagerie LOTS of boxes!

(07-24-2018 02:50 PM)MitsuruKirijo06 Resident Wrote:  I for one am not fond of the Tabby fur at all. But everything loves different things. But still the Red Tabby being the most dominate fur has a lot of uses. The best breeders use them a lot to bury traits and uptrait. Think of the Red Tabby being used like the most recessive fur only flip everything upside down. I can use a most recessive fur to uptrait and make a 9T cat and I can do the same with a red tabby. The upside to the Red Tabby is if done right your fur you want to keep doesn't hide another. I also know of at least one breeder who in the fall breed and sells Red Tabby with Fire eye and Flame whisker and it sells like hotcakes.

Exactly, Mitsu. I'd much rather have a 3T Red Tabby hiding Toyger Snow than a 6 or 7T Burmi Lilac hiding Toyger Snow. To me, that Burmi Lilac is worthless as there's no where to go. The Red Tabby would be extremely valuable and useful. By the time the traiting up process is done and you have 9T cats hiding that Snow, you can have built some VERY epic cats.
 Thanks given by: Evolving Yin , Arwen Swordthain , AstridSolace Resident

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)