Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Suggestion: UID in Parent Info / Lineage Tracking
03-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Suggestion: UID in Parent Info / Lineage Tracking
I absolutely love the KittyCats and just by far the best breedable to hit the grid. Hands down no argument. The only major item lacking is a lineage tracking system. Lineage in breedable pets is extremely important and a major piece that is missing. Ideally I would love to see a KittyCats system but being a former user of slbreedables would be extremely happy to have the do an implementation (although that is out of your control for the most part).

The good part is that the cats store the parent information, which is HUGE. The one important piece fo information missing from the parent info though is the Mother or Fathers UID. Without the UID we have no way of verifying (with certainty) past the parents. If we had the UID it would be possible for us to then link parents to their parents and so on. This would at least help a little bit more until either KittyCats or a 3rd party comes out with a full solution.

One other small suggestion, how about a suggestions category in the forums?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2011, 04:49 AM
RE: Suggestion: UID in Parent Info / Lineage Tracking
(03-09-2011 08:28 AM)Kristoffer Juneau Wrote:  I absolutely love the KittyCats and just by far the best breedable to hit the grid. Hands down no argument. The only major item lacking is a lineage tracking system. Lineage in breedable pets is extremely important and a major piece that is missing. Ideally I would love to see a KittyCats system but being a former user of slbreedables would be extremely happy to have the do an implementation (although that is out of your control for the most part).

The good part is that the cats store the parent information, which is HUGE. The one important piece fo information missing from the parent info though is the Mother or Fathers UID. Without the UID we have no way of verifying (with certainty) past the parents. If we had the UID it would be possible for us to then link parents to their parents and so on. This would at least help a little bit more until either KittyCats or a 3rd party comes out with a full solution.

One other small suggestion, how about a suggestions category in the forums?

I know it can be a pain to track everything manually Smile we do plan to set up a website with the pedigrees info for the KittyCatS soon Smile

[Image: a_catbox.gif]
03-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Thank You, thats good enough for me. Would much rather use a KittyCats system than a 3rd party system. Although the 3rd party system I used to use was as good as you could get, just lacked the ability to be tied into the actual database of the cats.
04-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Has there been any updates related to this? It's been a month or so.

While a website with full pedigree information would be great, a stop-gap (that could form part of an API) would be two web services that, given a cat's ID, return the parents' IDs and return the cat's genetic traits.

As Kristoffer mentioned, tracking lineage is really important and an API (as opposed to a full website) would hopefully make this feature available more quickly.
04-13-2011, 11:55 AM
(04-13-2011 11:32 AM)DivideByZero Wrote:  Has there been any updates related to this? It's been a month or so.

While a website with full pedigree information would be great, a stop-gap (that could form part of an API) would be two web services that, given a cat's ID, return the parents' IDs and return the cat's genetic traits.

As Kristoffer mentioned, tracking lineage is really important and an API (as opposed to a full website) would hopefully make this feature available more quickly.
I agree what is needed can be such a simple web interface that you just enter in a cats ID and returns back its parents with their ID's, you can then digger deeper down its lineage by entering in the parents IDs.

A BIG mistake made by Ozimals was never offering something like this and telling everyone they were working on a full system which then took them a year to come out with and was so bloated with useless features they never focused on the real intent and that was lineage tracking.

While a very nice interface and a way to view at least 3 generations back on one screen with minimal clicks is needed, in the meantime just throw up a simple web page to verify genetics.

On the opposing side I guess will be people saying they dont want their genetic info publicly viewable by everyone, myself I dont feel that way, but I understand that opinion.
04-13-2011, 03:50 PM
(04-13-2011 11:55 AM)Kristoffer Juneau Wrote:  On the opposing side I guess will be people saying they dont want their genetic info publicly viewable by everyone, myself I dont feel that way, but I understand that opinion.

I don't understand that opinion. When you sell a kitten, you can see its parent info (without ID) -- are people purposefully hiding grandparents and only selling those cats' grandchildren?
04-14-2011, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2011 01:25 PM by Kimberly Warwillow.)
I am strongly supporting this idea and hoping that it can be implemented sooner rather than later....its already too late as it is (in my opinion.) I had heard that KittyCatS would be implementing their own lineage system and was so very excited and we were told "soon." I guess soon is subject to interpretation but having been apart of so many breedables now, I don't trust the word "soon."

Two major things that are needed is the full and complete pedigree system (such as what slbreedablepets.com uses and NOT what is presented on SocialBun or myslhorses.com) and a presence on Marketplace (especially after KittyCatS being featured in the destination guide.) These aren't needed "soon," they are needed yesterday or last month. I love my KittyCatS, but both of these needs are quickly becoming a MAJOR issue for me. I have many babies that I have already sold the parents or many babies that I have sold. My cats can never have a complete pedigree, which is frustrating to me as a breeder (and as a buyer, I want to be able to check the pedigree of all cats I buy, not just the parents.) Collars would be cute, but not necessary, so I am hoping the development of collars isn't what is delaying the implementation of more necessary items. Of course, collars coming out "soon" is another example of a subjective definition of that word.

Soon to me, means a week, or two at most. Not months and months.

(So, now that I have vented majorly, I must say that I do STILL love my KittyCatS and I am not going anywhere.)

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
04-15-2011, 12:20 AM
hopes there is a system to track soon..im getting burnt out of my excel spreadsheets and note cards Sad

-mariah

Owner of Bellissima Ranch Breedable Pets
Owner of Bellissima KittyCatS

Bellissima Ranch Breedable Pets KittyCatS
04-15-2011, 09:42 AM
(04-13-2011 03:50 PM)DivideByZero Wrote:  
(04-13-2011 11:55 AM)Kristoffer Juneau Wrote:  On the opposing side I guess will be people saying they dont want their genetic info publicly viewable by everyone, myself I dont feel that way, but I understand that opinion.

I don't understand that opinion. When you sell a kitten, you can see its parent info (without ID) -- are people purposefully hiding grandparents and only selling those cats' grandchildren?

When Ozimals pedigree system was being discussed some people expressed concern about not having their breeding info public. The feeling being they didn't want others to know their "secrets" to getting traits to pass. So there might be push back to a complete and open public pedigree system. Also not all people sell their cats. This isnt something I am concerned about because I dont care if all of our breeding info is public.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)