Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Please Be Carefull !!
05-12-2013, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 09:33 AM by Mellyn Llewellyn.)
RE: Please Be Carefull !!
(05-12-2013 06:34 AM)STRlNGS Resident Wrote:  Hi! Being a non-expert may I ask a question specifically about bali cream lynx? I have some bali cream lynx's I got to try to get furs out of starters... When that doesn't work I say "hides bali cream" because I assume my kitties that I got slightly used are not hiding that salt and pepper fur or some kind of magical undiscovered fur. So, in that one case can I reasonably say "hides bali cream"? I include an example:

http://gyazo.com/88c79774c5c6e8e277a357f4c0d3725a

I suppose theoretically I should include "or better" but I assume it's not better. Any advice would be great, thanks Big GrinAngel

Your baby in your example hides Bali Cream and cannot hide another fur from your starter. It got Smokey III from mom. Unless dad has some better fur hiding in his background, which isn't likely from what is shown, Cream is the hidden fur.

Now on the tail and ears, it's impossible to tell what is going on. Your baby got genesis, but from whom? The possibilities are:

1. Got genesis from both parents, so both showing and hiding tail and ear (so to speak) are genesis.
2. Got genesis from dad and a hidden trait from mom, yet undiscovered.
3. Got genesis from mom and might hide something from dad, though from the pedigree you give, there's no way to tell what that might be. It is just as likely that dad's shown and hidden are also both genesis and he hides nothing else.

If I were labeling this box, I'd say it hides Cream, small eye, Glitter, and white mysterious whiskers. Anything else would be pure serendipity.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: STRlNGS Resident , anna Acanthus
05-12-2013, 10:05 AM
(05-12-2013 09:32 AM)Mellyn Llewellyn Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 06:34 AM)STRlNGS Resident Wrote:  Hi! Being a non-expert may I ask a question specifically about bali cream lynx? I have some bali cream lynx's I got to try to get furs out of starters... When that doesn't work I say "hides bali cream" because I assume my kitties that I got slightly used are not hiding that salt and pepper fur or some kind of magical undiscovered fur. So, in that one case can I reasonably say "hides bali cream"? I include an example:

http://gyazo.com/88c79774c5c6e8e277a357f4c0d3725a

I suppose theoretically I should include "or better" but I assume it's not better. Any advice would be great, thanks Big GrinAngel

Your baby in your example hides Bali Cream and cannot hide another fur from your starter. It got Smokey III from mom. Unless dad has some better fur hiding in his background, which isn't likely from what is shown, Cream is the hidden fur.

Now on the tail and ears, it's impossible to tell what is going on. Your baby got genesis, but from whom? The possibilities are:

1. Got genesis from both parents, so both showing and hiding tail and ear (so to speak) are genesis.
2. Got genesis from dad and a hidden trait from mom, yet undiscovered.
3. Got genesis from mom and might hide something from dad, though from the pedigree you give, there's no way to tell what that might be. It is just as likely that dad's shown and hidden are also both genesis and he hides nothing else.

If I were labeling this box, I'd say it hides Cream, small eye, Glitter, and white mysterious whiskers. Anything else would be pure serendipity.

Thanks! Sometimes I wish there were different genesises for the tails and ears and such, so you know which parent it got the genesis trait from. Knowing that I am a reasonably new person with a basic understanding of genetics, I generally just say things that I know for certain, like, "this kitty's parents made swanky tail once". That I know is a fact, and they can take that for what it's worth.

Strings Kitties At The ScratchN Post
Strings Kitties At The ScratchN Post CatNip
 Thanks given by: anna Acanthus
05-12-2013, 10:41 AM
(05-12-2013 10:05 AM)STRlNGS Resident Wrote:  Thanks! Sometimes I wish there were different genesises for the tails and ears and such, so you know which parent it got the genesis trait from. Knowing that I am a reasonably new person with a basic understanding of genetics, I generally just say things that I know for certain, like, "this kitty's parents made swanky tail once". That I know is a fact, and they can take that for what it's worth.

Me too! It would make figuring out hidden traits easier!
05-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Couldn't the baby "hides Bali Creme" be hiding father "frosty"'s hidden, which could be foxy s&p ?
05-12-2013, 02:17 PM
(05-12-2013 02:07 PM)Chance Ryada Wrote:  Couldn't the baby "hides Bali Creme" be hiding father "frosty"'s hidden, which could be foxy s&p ?

Yes, it's possible. Bali cream on both sides of the family, but could be hidden back there somewhere, theoretically.

05-12-2013, 03:15 PM
You'd need more pedigree detail on the father, but just based off what's showing, it's almost positively not hiding foxy s/p.

[Image: heart.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2013, 03:22 PM
(05-12-2013 03:15 PM)Ethereal Hurricane Wrote:  You'd need more pedigree detail on the father, but just based off what's showing, it's almost positively not hiding foxy s/p.

and why is that?
05-12-2013, 04:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 04:15 PM by Mellyn Llewellyn.)
(05-12-2013 03:22 PM)Chance Ryada Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 03:15 PM)Ethereal Hurricane Wrote:  You'd need more pedigree detail on the father, but just based off what's showing, it's almost positively not hiding foxy s/p.

and why is that?

For one thing, the first Foxie S&P appeared Dec. 11th, 152 days ago. The odds that Serpent's parentage includes Foxie S&P only 16 days after the first one appeared is almost nil. Far more likely, the breeder was breeding for Cream Lynx and Serpent's hidden fur would be Cream Lynx.
05-12-2013, 04:16 PM
(05-12-2013 04:13 PM)Mellyn Llewellyn Wrote:  

and why is that?

For one thing, the first Foxie S&P appeared Dec. 11th, 152 days ago. The odds that Serpent's parentage includes Foxie S&P only 16 days after the first one appeared is almost nil. Far more likely, the breeder was breeding for Cream Lynx and Serpent's hidden fur would be Cream Lynx.

If it helps, here's Frosty's pedigree http://gyazo.com/0991d2eab5763259fb866e04e4f493fe

05-13-2013, 04:14 AM
(05-12-2013 04:13 PM)Mellyn Llewellyn Wrote:  

and why is that?

Appearance, yes, but the list says they were introduced on Halloween, so they were more than likely hidden in many cats. The appearance only means the first time both parents hiding it, and both parents passing the hidden. The only way it couldn't would be tracing it back to cats not born after Halloween.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)