Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Newbie Question - Trait Partnering
01-19-2016, 06:52 AM
Newbie Question - Trait Partnering
Is it best to partner a cat with many traits with a cat with no traits or is it best to partner two cats that have many traits, to produce the best results?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2016, 07:07 AM
RE: Newbie Question - Trait Partnering
'best' is a nebulous term. It means whatever you want it to.

There are advantages and dis-advantages to both, as well to other breeding styles you've not mentioned.

Which is 'best' in a given situation depends upon your goals.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: babygirlk Resident
01-19-2016, 08:29 AM
I thought I'd add some ideas. These are just two cases. But they show that knowing your goal can tell you whether you want something showing a more dominant value, or showing a more recessive value.

If you have a dominant trait value, and you want to see if there is something more recessive hiding behind it (say, you have a Starter), then using a partner showing a recessive trait helps. The more recessive, the better.

If you have a mid-range trait value, and you want to make it 'pure' (both shown and hidden are the same), then you will want a partner showing a more dominant value. The more dominant, the better; knowing it also hides something more dominant is even better. When you get a proper-gender offspring (also showing more dominant), breeding it back to the parent which has the goal trait leads to success.

The complexity comes when you have more than one goal for a given cat or family line. Some people have an 'ideal cat' with a number of goal trait values. This can mean tracking several traits, with several approaches, simultaneously. And it probably means being very flexible in your methods as you deal with varying degrees of success and learn to handle the myriad failure modes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: babygirlk Resident
01-20-2016, 12:33 AM
Like Tad said, generally if you're trying to find out what is behind a gen trait, you partner to a more recessive partner.

I don't usually breed gen to gen unless it is a first baby of a collectible kitty to another same collectible baby as some collections have a special first baby.

The other thing is creating a project kitty. A good tool to help you visualize a project kitty is Tad's build-a-cat
http://tad-calucci.com/Build-a-Cat/

Tad's way is about the only way to have a pure -- breeding two cats with the same known hidden, if that hidden shows on the baby,has to be pure. But honestly, I don't breed for pure because hardly any cats are 100% pure despite claims -- many of them are pure only for one or two trait -- generally the fur or eyes. Most of them are merely untested and seem pure because only the shown has shown for several generations -- most often that means they have not been tested against something more recessive. A hidden can pass for generations. Don't be surprised if you buy a cat with a "pure" trait and you test it that more than 65% of the time, you find a hidden. I test my cats, even the "pure" ones I get on the market on a occasion. I have never found a cat to be 100% despite the pedigree. Generally 2-4 traits have a hidden.

The other thing to consider is if you are thinking of selling. Cats get one trait from mom and one from dad. Mom and Dad have one shown and one hidden. For example one shown fur and one hidden fur. The baby will show the most dominant trait of the traits it recessives from Mom and Dad. So if Mom has Bali cream shown and Dark Choco aby hid; and if Dad has gen fur shown and red tabby fur hid. Babies will only show gen fur or red tabby fur which ever Dad gives because both dads fur is dominant to both Mom's furs. So although the baby receives mom's fur, you won't see it. So the more dominant traits tend to be the most available because they show most often. So as with most things, if there is a lot of something the cheaper it is. The exception is things that used to be very recessive and no longer are are often cheap for a time because people have bred for them, got a lot of them and then a new most very recessive comes out making the old most recessive drop in price. Then people put out tons of lives and boxes of the old most recessive for a few seasons. This means that temporarily something that is fairly recessive will be cheap too. Right now you might see that happening iwth Foxie Salt & Pepper (most recessive a couple years ago) and starting to happen with Aby Dark Choco (most recessive last year). But for the most part traits that are fairly recessive and haven't flooded market tend to command higher prices so you'll see people breeding for certain recessive traits. Breeding gen to gen cats tends to create gen cats which are fairly cheap on the market as the traits are very dominant and the cats are generally hard to sell. So how you breed a cat depends on whether you are planning to sell them and to what market: other breeders, a potential pet owner, a gift giver, a reseller, etc.

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." Terry Pratchett
Der Kitty Mill
Latest Born Kitty:
[Image: Kayla_Woodrunner]
Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)