Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

The Animesh Project
11-02-2017, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 03:28 PM by Maxwell Grantly.)
Star The Animesh Project
Today Linden Labs announced several updates to their services regarding policies, fees and product developments. One new creator tool was of particular interest: The Animesh Tool. Currently it is in beta.

This is what they said:

Quote:"New creative tools. We recently released Animesh in beta, enabling creators to use skeletal animations with non-avatar objects - like wild animals, pets, vehicles, and scenery objects."

This new development seems very interesting and of interest to those who work with breedable animals. I wonder what plans KittyCatS have, to develop their breedable project and make use of this new Second Life tool. I would be very interested to hear input from members of the KittyCatS team, if they are able to do so.

You can see an example of the Animesh project here. It all looks very exciting.

Magical stories from an independent author
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Mirsoul Resident , Minx Diabolito , 999ShadowCat999 Resident , Priestess Firanelli , Marikit Cisse , Arwen Swordthain , Dimpz Morane , aidenvaIeska Resident , katsiaryne Resident , Garance Kidd
11-04-2017, 10:49 AM
RE: The Animesh Project
yes!!! it IS exciting! and you know us... Smile we'll always want to use the latest technology to make the kittycats experience better Smile

all i can say for now! Smile thanks for sharing it too, incase we had missed it! LOL Smile
Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: 999ShadowCat999 Resident , Maxwell Grantly , Priestess Firanelli , Marikit Cisse , Arwen Swordthain , Garance Kidd
04-20-2019, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2019 01:09 PM by Priestess Firanelli.)
Hi Callie! Are there any more developments regarding this question? Is KC still interested in animesh? I was checking out animesh horses today and they are amazing Smile

Tess Firanelli

Heart HAPPY PAWS ~ for happy cats Heart
 Thanks given by: Melinda Jensen
04-20-2019, 01:24 PM
(04-20-2019 01:07 PM)Priestess Firanelli Wrote:  Hi Callie! Are there any more developments regarding this question? Is KC still interested in animesh? I was checking out animesh horses today and they are amazing Smile

Animesh looks amazing I too am very interested if there is any News!
 Thanks given by: Priestess Firanelli
04-20-2019, 02:24 PM
I've been thinking about animesh breedables for a while.

The way it currently works, we have one model for a cat which is just a few prims. Each prim is given a sculptie shape and textured. This generally means there's seams where the bits come togetner; ear to head, head to neck, leg to body. For KittyCats, that means a few set shapes. A head, a body, a few legs, each tail trait, left and right models for each ear trait. In all, it'a a managable number. And adding a new ear or tail trait is fairly efficient. Just create one or two models.

Mesh, however, specifically sets out to prevent this sort of thing. You can't change just the tail, or just the ears. So you have to change the entire model. Each new ear trair means a new model for every existing tail trait. Each new tail means a new model for every ear. To make matters worse, we cannot change the model, at all, by script. So, instead of a cat having just a set of prims to which we apply shapes (sculpties) we need a full model for every ear/tail combinantion.

So, mesh makes adding new traits expensive (we have to create so many more models), it also makes it hard. We really don't want to force everyone to have to update every cat just because a new ear or tail has arrived. So some sort of central repository is needed. That means the parents don't actually HAVE to models in inventory. Instead, one of them requests a model from a central server, which delivers the required model for the offspring for the parent to place in-world. Whether the central server sets the traits (colors, etc) before delivery, or the parent gives them afterward is a design choice (I'd lean to having the parent do it, at least initially). The problem is that we have to get the offspring model from the central server to the parent. That presents a single point of failure, which is bad. And it presents a scheduling problem, should a large number of requests appear at the same time (meaning: it can be laggy, too).

My point is that while a non-breedable mesh animal is definitely impressive, and it sure would be nice to do it for breedables, there are a number of hard problems which must be addressed to not only provide a breedable product, but to do so in a fast, reliable, low-lag manner.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: ShannonSpoonhunter Resident , Priestess Firanelli , Melinda Jensen , AlannaMaria Resident
04-21-2019, 05:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2019 05:39 AM by Priestess Firanelli.)
There is a breedable company that is on its way to launch it. How they have solved these issues I don't know but that's why I thought my question was valid. Some seams to have made it work. Maybe they are using textures only as new "traits" and using the same model. We will soon find out Smile

Tess Firanelli

Heart HAPPY PAWS ~ for happy cats Heart
04-22-2019, 04:00 PM
(04-21-2019 05:39 AM)Priestess Firanelli Wrote:  There is a breedable company that is on its way to launch it. How they have solved these issues I don't know but that's why I thought my question was valid. Some seams to have made it work. Maybe they are using textures only as new "traits" and using the same model. We will soon find out Smile

there are definitely ways however it won't be close to what we've had. also land impact is very high... and... we're of course seeing how we will do things like this! Wink all i can say for now!
 Thanks given by: Melinda Jensen , Priestess Firanelli

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)