Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

I like the pedigree as is
12-31-2012, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2012 01:32 PM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
Star I like the pedigree as is
I know people have requested in the past to remove breeders names from the cat's pedigree to work around privacy issues why we can't look further back in the lines.
I also know people work tiredless and give all their efforts to create their kitties and I for one would be pretty sad if the credits of the breeder from the ancestors or even the parents are not visable anymore.
Sometimes people buy two cats and pair them and sell the result.
I have not really an opinion about that but it is good to see from which cattery the cats came also in case we like to pay a visit to that breeders shop or like to contact them to pre-order an offspring which I frequently do Smile
So eventhough I would love to be able to browse further back in the pedigree than we currently can I strongly feel the breeder of the cats should remain visable.
Frequently a lot of love, time, money and efforts went into a breeding line.
This overrules for me the convenience of being able to browse back futher in the pedigree.

[Image: o5e5bzt]

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Notorious kitty hoarder ..
My cats rarely leave my cattery.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Julia Merosi , Dimpz Morane , Devilness Chant , Sara Franco , Bea Shamrock
12-31-2012, 01:58 PM
RE: I like the pedigree as is
yes i prefer to keep the names aswell. maybe we can add something like "Breed by" and "Owner" since myself is selling kitties most of the time if i have got a full sib pair so most of the time i have different names in my pedigree. A second Line would be awesome just to make sure to hold the correct credits.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Dimpz Morane , Devilness Chant , Bea Shamrock
12-31-2012, 02:47 PM
ohhh that would be a really nice addition Julia. That way it's easily visible whether one breeder is responsible for a whole family tree etc! For me personally, I can't really relate to the privacy issues but I know others feel differently. I wish there could be some sort of compromise because there are so many times when I long to look further back than the tree that we have now!

[Image: 7884046580_9ba4a7cbb5_n.jpg]

Marketplace Store

United Catteries Store
 Thanks given by: Dimpz Morane , Devilness Chant , Julia Merosi
12-31-2012, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 01:39 PM by Kayleigh McMillan.)
The privacy for me personally is not a problem as well I could agree with less privacy just so people find the breeder of a favorite line of cats easier.
But it seems from an earlier discussion about this matter, privacy for some people is an issue why we can't look futher back in the pedigree sadly.
I hope somehow we can give permission for this in the future just as we now give permission to show us the gender of a box in our pedigree or not.
I love your suggestion as well Julia!
Because for the reason you mention I don't sell the parents of a sibling pair but menagerie them instead just so I remain to have access to their pedigree and keep ownership of those cats eventhough they don't excist anymore.
It would be very cool if the breeder of a cat remains to have access to that cat's pedigree eventhough it is sold and continues to own the breeding credits.

Retro Kitties Showroom »

Thanks given by: Devilness Chant , Julia Merosi
01-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Yes!

I don't see a need to show more than the current 2-gens back. But ..

Restricting access to the current owner is too restrictive.

To the current rules, I would add:

If the currently-logged-in user (PHP session login) was the breeder (owner, when box produced) then that user should be granted access to view that cat. This is a simple change.

It would allow a breeder to sell a box, still own the mother, see the box from her page, and click on it to see who the father was.

It would allow a breeder to produce MaMaMaMa, MaMaMa, MaMa, Ma and box, sell MaMaMa and MaMa and Ma, still walk the tree up from the box to MaMaMaMa and see her parents and grandparents.

It would NOT allow a breeder to sell a mother and see OTHER boxes. If you bred her and got 3 boxes, then sold her, you can click on one of those boxes, see her, and see JUST those three boxes. You'll have NO way to determine if she's made more boxes.

The remaining hickup is not breeding mom, selling her after getting a box .. you'd click the box and see her, but could not click on her to see if she made other boxes for you .. you didn't produce her, and don't own her, so you can't see her. To fix that we'd need to track prior ownership .. which is probably too much to ask of the database.
 Thanks given by: Devilness Chant , Bea Shamrock
01-01-2013, 12:29 PM
(12-31-2012 12:50 PM)Kayleigh McMillan Wrote:  I know people have requested in the past to remove breeders names from the cat's pedigree to work around privacy issues why we can't look further back in the lines.
I also know people work tiredless and give all their efforts to create their kitties and I for one would be pretty sad if the credits of the breeder from the ancestors or even the parents are not visable anymore.
Sometimes people buy two cats and pair them and sell the result.
I have not really an opinion about that but it is good to see from which cattery the cats came also in case we like to pay a visit to that breeders shop or like to contact them to pre-order an offspring which I frequently do Smile
So eventhough I would love to be able to browse further back in the pedigree than we currently can I strongly feel the breeder of the cats should remain visable.
Frequently a lot of love, time, money and efforts went into a breeding line.
This overrules for me the convenience of being able to browse back futher in the pedigree.

I agree entirely with this. I have recently noticed that more and more people begin to sell kitties without even placing down a pedigree - those are kitties I won't even consider buying - I like buying kitties where I can see an effort has been put into the breeding.
 Thanks given by: Devilness Chant
01-01-2013, 09:01 PM
I think the pedigree problem revolves around the prims available and how many people try to see how many kitties they can sit out. I usually just stay away from those shops that have more than 10-15 out. If the text doesn't kill your eye sight, then standing there going through all of them will. I personally won't hold it against you if you don't have a pedigree out. Even some that people profess to be excellent breeders don't display not one pedigree.

Okay I'm going to put my two cents, mainly because I have mixed feeling about this and give a little explanation of why. So beware of getting what you ask for.

I think the idea is really great simply and can be expanded on so much. But mainly because I have some things come out and go back 4-7 generations with no idea where a hidden trait came from. Also it would solve searching and experimenting to try to find the right pair so you don't have any surprises. In essence it would eliminate the question of does it or doesn't it hide something more recessive. Then the question would be answered as to what it could hide and only leave does it hide it. While I shop for kitty's now based on what they show and 'could' be hiding we do have a relative small options as to the possibilities. Also I love to shop and maybe bringing certain traits into mine. I would also love to be able to go back into pedigree's and see who spawned my little devils and see if that breeder may have more.

On to my dilemma and I also have this about doing a market page (another topic) as well. Is that I know it wouldn't take much to rewrite and/or create a pedigree page(s) to simply allow a check box option to show or not show owner/breeder name. Even to give a point on where that kitty is with a SLurl and if it was up for sale and so much more. It's that I know with the additional resources needed to implement and preserve it also would come with additional cost. This would probably involve also adding someone to help with the work load. While I would love to see it go into effect and get improved on. I know as the community grows and quantity of kitties on the grid goes up, it also would become a huge responsibility to maintain as well as a cash cow. So while it may start off as a great new feature it would eventually be something we would have to pay for in someway. Either a cost to have it, more collection releases, more traits without retirement of old ones.

There in creates my mixed feelings on the subject. While I love that KittyCatS is a great community, the ideas they have, and the great things they create. They are still a smaller based breedable without the huge options and additional resources needing to be maintained. However that is usually the secret to success and the base of responsibilities is manageable right now and they are doing a wonderful job of balancing that out.

"You're just jealous because the kitties only talk to me."
 Thanks given by: Devilness Chant
01-02-2013, 04:56 AM
I have to run to work, just wanted to say for pedigree giver and prims. Liri makes a great pedigree giver that works for all your kitties and is only 2 prims I think. Will post more when I get back or tonight. lol

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Pa...158/180/23 here is the lm to her shop to get one.

Devine Kitty Stuff MarketPlace
Devine Kitties at The Kat Shack
01-02-2013, 07:30 AM
(01-02-2013 04:56 AM)devilness chant Wrote:  I have to run to work, just wanted to say for pedigree giver and prims. Liri makes a great pedigree giver that works for all your kitties and is only 2 prims I think. Will post more when I get back or tonight. lol

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Pa...158/180/23 here is the lm to her shop to get one.

Oh yes!
I use her pedigree frame and placed it in my shops that sure is convenient!
People can trace all the ID's of the kitties I own.
No seperate pedigreegiver needed per box or cat that sure is a super script!

Retro Kitties Showroom »

02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
YAY for breeder names! Thank you KittyCatS!
 Thanks given by: Bea Shamrock

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)