Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

return prims
10-24-2014, 04:52 PM
RE: return prims
There are a lot of issues with self moving prims, such as KittyCatS.

Your second idea leads me to consider an alternate solution. Have two Ranges. When you set a distance-based range (since this won't work with Parcel and Sim ranges), set another range, say, 5 meters larger. If the cat finds itself outside the set Range, and moves beyond this second, fall-back range, it ceases movement and attempts to 'teleport' home as if it had fallen asleep.

This is not a full solution, but it would speed recovery in most cases. Instead of waiting 8 hours to go to sleep, it jumps Home early because it left the fall-back extra range.

Note, however, I said "attempts", quoted "teleport," and said "most cases."

This recognizes that cats do NOT actually teleport. That is not possible. Instead, what they do is move it fast, short jumps. (See Warpspeed teleport in the SL Wiki for how this is done.)

The problem is, it is possible for the cat to move in such a way that, when told to Jump Home (or TP To Me, or any other rapid, long distance move), that the cat can NOT get there in a straight line. There are two possible solutions to that problem: record every move and reverse course EXACTLY (which is infeasible due to script memory limits) or attempt a Drunkard's Walk (which may take a long time and is a probabilistic solution which may fail given any time constraint whatsoever).

The Path Finding added to Second Life a couple years ago was an attempt to reduce the size of the search space for a Drunkard's Walk. But it can't help, here, because it presupposes facts which are not true: that the region had an accurate Path Finding map (rarely true in my experience) and that the moving prim is walking upon a Path Finding surface (the ground or a prim), which is obviously not the case when falling from a skybox.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
return prims - Beth Marama - 10-22-2014, 10:51 PM
RE: return prims - Tad Carlucci - 10-22-2014, 11:52 PM
RE: return prims - Beth Marama - 10-24-2014, 02:59 PM
RE: return prims - Tad Carlucci - 10-24-2014 04:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)