Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Galaxy Nebula
01-12-2017, 06:58 PM
RE: Galaxy Nebula
Hugs Evo, smiles.

'Argos' (Apple eye shown) bred back to 'Nebula' (Nebula eye shown) would be an excellent way to go, in working towards a proof... but again, the resulting kitten would need to be bred to something more recessive to reveal the hidden eye color.

Either way, now you do know what each of those cats carries as their hidden/recessive eye color, and that can be useful info when planning out future breedings. It allows you to make select breeding choices and predict what those cats could potentially produce.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Evolving Yin , Kayla Woodrunner , Arwen Swordthain , Reven Rosca
01-13-2017, 09:27 AM
Hey Evolving.
I would not bow out completely and allow the experienced breeders to work on placement. Your breeding is just as important as everyone else who is working on placing traits. So don't give up. I have had several breedings that have reveled that the Tested Trait was no longer hiding. This information is just as important to know. It just means the cat is not meant to continue in your testing project. The fact that you now know the hidden when you continue breeding with the cat on other projects you will know more about the offspring it makes.
Also, know that the only way you can feel more confident is to keep breeding. No breeding is a win or lose it is more a mystery unfolding.
Your test results about the nebula eye were important either way; if it showed the Nebula or did not show the nebula. It gave information. You asking for clarification and Hap taking the time to explain, helped you and probably many others who were looking at the forums. Wonderful teaching moment! Please continue to ask questions and breed. Maybe in the future you will be looked upon by the new breeders a few months or years from now as experienced and you will not even realize it. Smile

~ BreeAnn (Brunabug Nightfire)
Direct link to SAGA Dominance Charts folder
Direct link to SAGA FAQ
Feel free to pass Proofs to me - I will be sure to get them added to the To Do List for SAGA.
 Thanks given by: Reven Rosca , HappyDaize Resident , Ivy Norsk , Kayla Woodrunner , Arwen Swordthain
01-13-2017, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2017 10:49 AM by Ivy Norsk.)
Evolving Wrote:It is too expensive to breed for yet another Od Bellini and not even be able to provide a useful proof.

This is kind of why the Saga breeding site exists. Fully 50% of test kitties fail to show the desired hidden (which makes sense, since a cat is going to throw one trait or another roughly 50% of the time). It's a somewhat cumbersome process in which we go through cat after cat after cat. If you, and others, have been following the breeding forum here you may have seen that the Verdant versus Light Wash testing (for example) went on for months with multiple breeders, with the cats continuously throwing the wrong hidden for a proof.

And on that note, all the Saga breeders are very grateful for any donations for kibble to the Saga test site. We go through a lot of tests and a lot of cats. We also do a lot of mutual cooperation and cat-swapping for the tests. I would say it's a very supportive place.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: HappyDaize Resident , Brunabug Nightfire , Kayla Woodrunner , Arwen Swordthain
01-13-2017, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2017 01:04 PM by Arwen Swordthain.)
Galaxy Nebula is dominant to Mint Julep
Many thanks to Hap for providing the Mint Julep starter, after several weeks they finally gave us a result.

Falls Calico Jack hides Mint Julep
[Image: b836dc6660d50e8d5e645b2eb32162e8.png]

Dukinea hides Galaxy Nebula
[Image: 71d6960940dc04ac500bd10bd1a32233.png]

Their baby shows Galaxy Nebula so must hide Mint Julep meaning Galaxy Nebula is dominant to Mint Julep Smile
[Image: d3e5ff11365e1aff0e2d008f97c11556.png]

Forum Based Charts

KittyCats Discoveries & Retirements
 Thanks given by: Ivy Norsk , Reven Rosca , HappyDaize Resident , Kayla Woodrunner , KittyCatsProofs Resident , Brunabug Nightfire
01-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Thank you, the Charts have been updated Smile

Forum Based Charts can be found here
01-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Congrats, Arwen on the new proof!

Hi Evolving, what Bree said is very true. Everything I learned from breeding I learned on the forum because people took the time to explain things to me. The important thing to realize is there is nothing wrong with being wrong -- as long as you don't mind being corrected. Some people mind and it makes it hard for them to learn on the forum. I remember I really messed up when I was trying to find a super-recessive hid (when odyssey frazzywave was new and the most recessive) and ended up getting a double genesis fur. I was able to take that lessons on how to get something out and shake off two dominant furs and create a blow-by-blow account for someone who was just learning breeding
https://kittycats.ws/forum/showthread.php?tid=20252&highlight=breeding

So nothing is wasted. Something that is very frustrating now, may turn to good use later and almost always teaches you something. The best breeders I know always takes it as a plus when they find a hdden even if it is the wrong one because if you know your shown and hidden, you sometimes automatically know what a box must have as it's shown and hidden. And those of us who carefully track our hiddens never trust a "pure" that we might buy because we still have to check for the hiddens (50-90% have hiddens: the 50% is for when you're checking just if one trait has a hidden; 90% if you're checking all traits that at least one will have a hidden)

If you want someone to check if something passed, a number of people are helpful here. If it's an eye or fur or whatever that doesn't have a thread, you can start one on it - you can start a thread on any breeding question, not just dominance testing ones. Check here for threads on specific traits:
https://kittycats.ws/forum/showthread.php?tid=20089
If you don't see one on the one you have a question on, start it. Hopefully eventually there will be a thread on every trait but it's a long way off yet.

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." Terry Pratchett
Der Kitty Mill
Latest Born Kitty:
[Image: Kayla_Woodrunner]
 Thanks given by: Brunabug Nightfire , Arwen Swordthain
01-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Thanks Kayla
Just a little addition for Evolving to what Bree & Kayla said as well, as well as posting here and asking for help don't be shy about hitting any of us up inworld. I, and I know several others are always happy to take a look and see if you are heading in the right direction.
Please don't give up testing. Everyones contribution counts, and its why we are down to 8 eyes and 4 furs, oh and that pesky new tail, left to be placed. We are zooming in on the new eyes faster than ever before so don't give up yet we are nearly there Smile

(01-13-2017 03:02 PM)Kayla Woodrunner Wrote:  Congrats, Arwen on the new proof!

Hi Evolving, what Bree said is very true. Everything I learned from breeding I learned on the forum because people took the time to explain things to me. The important thing to realize is there is nothing wrong with being wrong -- as long as you don't mind being corrected. Some people mind and it makes it hard for them to learn on the forum. I remember I really messed up when I was trying to find a super-recessive hid (when odyssey frazzywave was new and the most recessive) and ended up getting a double genesis fur. I was able to take that lessons on how to get something out and shake off two dominant furs and create a blow-by-blow account for someone who was just learning breeding
https://kittycats.ws/forum/showthread.php?tid=20252&highlight=breeding

So nothing is wasted. Something that is very frustrating now, may turn to good use later and almost always teaches you something. The best breeders I know always takes it as a plus when they find a hdden even if it is the wrong one because if you know your shown and hidden, you sometimes automatically know what a box must have as it's shown and hidden. And those of us who carefully track our hiddens never trust a "pure" that we might buy because we still have to check for the hiddens (50-90% have hiddens: the 50% is for when you're checking just if one trait has a hidden; 90% if you're checking all traits that at least one will have a hidden)

If you want someone to check if something passed, a number of people are helpful here. If it's an eye or fur or whatever that doesn't have a thread, you can start one on it - you can start a thread on any breeding question, not just dominance testing ones. Check here for threads on specific traits:
https://kittycats.ws/forum/showthread.php?tid=20089
If you don't see one on the one you have a question on, start it. Hopefully eventually there will be a thread on every trait but it's a long way off yet.

Forum Based Charts

Thanks given by: Kayla Woodrunner
01-15-2017, 03:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2017 03:46 AM by Peaches Latrell.)
wow this really narrowed it down, nice!
Hap, I have a pure comet female if you would be interested in testing her against your mint julep starter, let me know

I also have a pure male comet and a pure nebula, female. I have opened a starry baby blues baby that is now 3 days old and a mercury that is 2 days old. Still trying to get a galactic pure from 2 starters put together. Attempt # 3 is due in 2 days.
Peaches
01-23-2017, 05:31 PM
12/27/16 Galaxy Nebula was found dominant to Galaxy Comet
as of 1/13/17 Galaxy Comet was found dominant to Odyssey Fire & Rain. So Galaxy Nebular is also dominant to Odyssey Fire & Rain.

Current testing range
Sparkle Dream
Odyssey Adore
Mercury (Ret)
Starry Baby Blues (Ret)
Tapestry Reef

these fall within that range but are not placed yet
Odyssey Galactic
Galaxy Comet (proven recessive to Galaxy Nebula)
Galaxy Orbit (proven recessive Galaxy Comet)

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." Terry Pratchett
Der Kitty Mill
Latest Born Kitty:
[Image: Kayla_Woodrunner]
01-24-2017, 04:18 AM
I'm currently trying to persuade starters to reveal these results
Galaxy Nebula v Odyssey Galactic
Galaxy Orbit v Odyssey Galactic
Should the galactic fall between Nebula & Orbit I will test against Comet to confirm where it falls, I'm actually hoping for dominant to Nebula as that will narrow Nebula to the same range as the others.
I figure once we know the most dominant and most recessive of the 4 we can zoom in from each end to place the grouping. For example the most dominant is recessive to Mercury and the most recessive dominant to SBB would place the grouping, that just an example of course, they may place dom to mercury or recessive to SBB. I'm going to pop a mercury and an SBB to grow up while I wait for the ody gal results, plus with they way things have been me popping the boxes guarantees a result before mine are ready to breed Smile
Wanders off to the cattery to pop the boxes and set that timer running Tongue

Forum Based Charts

Thanks given by: Reven Rosca , Ivy Norsk , Kayla Woodrunner

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)