Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

Dominance question
05-31-2024, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2024 05:21 AM by Grace Winnfield.)
Dominance question
Trying to get a grasp on how dominance works and how the proof of dominance is decided. I've bred a cat with Brushed Steel eyes three times with my Boardwalk Blue eye and 2 of the three times I get Brushed Steel, with only one time Boardwalk Blue. It feels like the dominance really is just a hit or miss thing and not a definite thing with these cats. There are also other hiders (Grey Matter, Magic Kiss, Genesis Bronze) that have not appeared as of yet with these two breeders. Is there a specific thread or document that has been created to explain how dominance is determined or how to manage navigating it? I would love a link. I am not getting the feeling that these guys use the same allele based genetics as in rl..... or using a punnett square would work LOL
Thanks All!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2024, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2024 06:29 AM by Ivy Norsk.)
RE: Dominance question
Dominance is absolutely iron clad.
This is what makes KittyCats a fun puzzle game.
Remember a cat always has 2 eyes: the shown and the hidden.
The cats showing Brushed Steel are hiding Brushed Steel or something more recessive.
The Boardwalk blue was only thrown the one time... all the other times, the cat threw the hidden eye. Genesis Bronze is not a hider. Actually none of the other eyes you mention can hide under Brushed Steel. Remember also that a cat can have Brushed Steel in both the Shown spot AND the Hidden Spot and be Brushed Steel pure.
The Dominance Charts are Here.

Lectures on breeding are Here.

The Pawsable Traits Reference manager and a Chart keeper.
 Thanks given by: Grace Winnfield , Songdog Woolley , Eleanor8 Resident
05-31-2024, 08:20 AM
Hi Grace

You are right, it uses basic Medelian inheritance, come along to the classes , 2nd Saturday at 7am and we use Punnet squares as part of the teaching,
Proofs are like a mathematical proof, there can be no other possibility, it is 100% certain or it can't be accepted.
As Ivy says, your Boardwalk blue is hiding either brushed steel or something more recessive and that's what is being passed, one trait from mom (shown or hidden) and one trait from dad (shown or hidden).
Post your pedigree if you like so we can see.
 Thanks given by: Grace Winnfield , Songdog Woolley
05-31-2024, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2024 10:06 AM by Grace Winnfield.)
I have meant to come for so long! I will have to see if i can make it this month if RL doesn't interfere.

attaching some photos of the pedigree here. not sure how else to do it.
Thank you for the links Ivy!

Ok If I am doing my genetics correctly my Boardwalk blue is BB (Boardwalk Blue)/ bs (brushed steel) and my Brushed steel dad is bs/ bs so on a punnett square I have a 50/50 shot of showing BB or bs with a 25% of having an offspring carry the recessive bs .. correct?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-04-2024, 07:03 AM
Assuming your brushed steel cats aren't hiding anything else, that would be correct.

The boardwalk kitty has a 50% chance to pass boardwalk and 50% chance to pass its hider. The partner has 50% chance to pass brushed steel and 50% chance to pass its hider.

If the boardwalk grannies are solid, it would give you 50% boardwalk blue hiding brushed steel and 50% pure brushed steel cats.

Now if a granny was hiding faded flower, that's a whole new punnet squareSmile
 Thanks given by: Songdog Woolley

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)