Drop Menu Website Template

Hello There, Guest! Register

About Voting
05-10-2012, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012 08:37 AM by anna Acanthus.)
About Voting
I was wondering if the voting system here was filtered by IP so just out of interest i logged my alt in and was able to vote, (just the once, to test).
So right, if i was really desperate to win and had an army of alts with different e-mails and friends willing to join just to vote i could swing it.
Not pointing any fingers here and a couple of the leaders are good and deserve votes, but some are hardly that inspired.
This is no big deal of course as there aren't any big prizes involved but could explain in the past why some rather banal (to say the least) entries came out in the top 10, and some of the really clever and witty ones received comparatively few votes.
I was also surprised to see that for 1500+ votes only 300 or so views on this thread, which, accounting for some checking back seems very few to me.
Anyhow, conclusion ; i doubt i'll bother for the next one, and in any case, my entries are never that inspired lol
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Kristyn23 Resident
05-10-2012, 12:53 AM
RE: About Voting
Guess you gave some people an idea now Big Grin. But cant the # of votes be due to multiple choices per voter?

http://slurl.com/secondlife/New/44/101/352
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Yes Malicia, multiple votes for few voters, sorry this was just another observation i included about the number of people interested in these competitions, and not really pertinent to my thread.
Well i guess yes it may give the idea to a few who haven't thought of it yet but it'll only balance out the result with those who HAVE already thought of it Wink
05-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Hi anna,

I'll take this opportunity to explain how our voting works to ensure it's a fair process. We have 2 levels of voting, the "popular vote" and "the panel vote". we did this due to seeing how some contests can have a "winner" due to things like people getting friends to vote, alts, etc. We really want to encourage all who want to participate to know a contest wont be effected by that so this is how our voting works.

1. the community vote. (in this case the poll)

The top "winners" of the community vote will be given a number based on how many votes they got, so for example. The one with the most votes would get a "20", the next most votes would be "19", the next "18" and so forth.

2. The panel vote: The panel will vote and again the ones with the most votes will be given a ranking, "20" for most panel votes, "19" for second most, etc.

3. these scores are then put together for the final winner Smile

I hope that makes sense! We appreciate those who enter contests AND who take the time to vote and think this method makes it very fair for all.

If you want to see how it's worked in the past, you can check out this thread... Smile
http://kittycats.biz/forum/showthread.php?tid=2419

take care!
callie
 Thanks given by: anna Acanthus
05-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Filtering by IP address would not stop the use of ALTs to pad the vote. It would, however, cause valid complaints about not allowing legitimate voters to vote without going to the effort of using an IP-address mapping service to bypass the restriction.
05-10-2012, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012 11:12 AM by Ethereal Hurricane.)
Oh Tad...Heart

[Image: heart.gif]
05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
and don't forget the mobile devices or computers at work, friends and neighbours Smile

http://slurl.com/secondlife/New/44/101/352

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)