KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Scheduled Auctions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Good Points Winter! I have my own criteria as well in deciding to attend a certain auction or not. Here are mine:

1) Is the Auctioneer both entertaining and knowledgeable?
A- If the auctioneer is spouting misinformation and is not well versed in what can or cannot hide what etc, I will not be back.
B- If the auctioneer has no clue to how to talk about breeding possibilities and display a cat to it's best advantage, I will not be back.
C- I understand that auction length is an issue for some, but if the auctioneer is frantic and calling for a first time before even giving opening bid, I will not be back.

2) Is the overall atmosphere friendly and fun, or do you feel like you're being circled by vultures?

3) The quality of the cats on the panels. This does not mean that all cats must be 4 generations all bred by breeder or all 9T, or all new triats. After a while, you get a feel for these things.
A- Do I get the feeling that the breeder put a little thought and care into making that cat? I've seen too many auctions where it seems people are trying to get a few bucks for a cat they would otherwise just menagerie. There are many other means of selling these kitties (chat auctions, bid boards, shops) and I really think they do better that way too.

B-I've also seen too many that exclude some great cats due to trait count or lineage (meaning breeder doesn't own grandparents etc). None of that ensures quality.

4) Age of the cats on panels. I really think that a cat over 30 days old has no place at an auction. To me, auctions are a place to showcase a special cat, not move one on that you are done with. I want to make clear though, that I find nothing wrong with selling off cats you no longer need, I just don't feel they belong on an auction panel. And in my time, I've seen people selling off 100+ day old cats at auction. Collector cats are an exception of course.

So that is what I look at regarding auctions for the most part. Time of day is also a factor for everyone. I wish there were more late night auctions but when they were tired in the past, there was just not enough support for them.
With this being said, I have no problem with auctions overlapping times. Unless of course they are both great and I'd love to attend both, but those things usually work themselves out.
Also, as an auctioneer, there is no shame in saying you are not sure of something. Its so much better to check, or get someone to check for you than to guess and mislead your buyers.
Its a very competative business, especially auctions, and I'd actually love to see a few that just can't hack it weeded out to give more potential buyers to the better ones.
(04-14-2013 03:55 PM)Nocshadue Balbozar Wrote: [ -> ]Good Points Winter! I have my own criteria as well in deciding to attend a certain auction or not. Here are mine:

1) Is the Auctioneer both entertaining and knowledgeable?
A- If the auctioneer is spouting misinformation and is not well versed in what can or cannot hide what etc, I will not be back.
B- If the auctioneer has no clue to how to talk about breeding possibilities and display a cat to it's best advantage, I will not be back.
C- I understand that auction length is an issue for some, but if the auctioneer is frantic and calling for a first time before even giving opening bid, I will not be back.

2) Is the overall atmosphere friendly and fun, or do you feel like you're being circled by vultures?

3) The quality of the cats on the panels. This does not mean that all cats must be 4 generations all bred by breeder or all 9T, or all new triats. After a while, you get a feel for these things.
A- Do I get the feeling that the breeder put a little thought and care into making that cat? I've seen too many auctions where it seems people are trying to get a few bucks for a cat they would otherwise just menagerie. There are many other means of selling these kitties (chat auctions, bid boards, shops) and I really think they do better that way too.

B-I've also seen too many that exclude some great cats due to trait count or lineage (meaning breeder doesn't own grandparents etc). None of that ensures quality.

4) Age of the cats on panels. I really think that a cat over 30 days old has no place at an auction. To me, auctions are a place to showcase a special cat, not move one on that you are done with. I want to make clear though, that I find nothing wrong with selling off cats you no longer need, I just don't feel they belong on an auction panel. And in my time, I've seen people selling off 100+ day old cats at auction. Collector cats are an exception of course.

So that is what I look at regarding auctions for the most part. Time of day is also a factor for everyone. I wish there were more late night auctions but when they were tired in the past, there was just not enough support for them.
With this being said, I have no problem with auctions overlapping times. Unless of course they are both great and I'd love to attend both, but those things usually work themselves out.
Also, as an auctioneer, there is no shame in saying you are not sure of something. Its so much better to check, or get someone to check for you than to guess and mislead your buyers.
Its a very competative business, especially auctions, and I'd actually love to see a few that just can't hack it weeded out to give more potential buyers to the better ones.

I agree very much with you Noc.
I have no problem with overlapping auctions either we can't join them all and hell that would be a pain for the wallet also XD.
I tend to join the auctions in which the auctioneer provides a great time too.
Just so I leave happy with the time spend with part of the community.
Because an auction can be very lóóóóóóóóóng if we have no fun Smile
I agree also an auctioneer doesn't have to know every single detail about traits and their order straight from the back of their head.
I mean if that was obligated with this many traits I wouldn't envy the job of an auctioneer.
Therefore I think as well an auctioneer shouldn't be ashamed to not know something and having to look it up in the charts.
I think we all have our favorite auctions to go to and therefore I see no problem with overlapping auctions.
Because even the auctions I really like I need to let go sometimes because I need to take my purse and the content of it in consideration as well.

A little something I like to add to this I'm sorry OP a little off topic here:
After a special release most of our catteries are stuffed while I see so many good cats at auctions I only wished I could take with me if only they were boxed >.<
I know boxes are not flattering for auctions and display mode doesn't justify the cuteness of a kitty but maybe right after a release and some weeks after the potential buyer should have some ease in this matter.
Kay, ya I've thought that about boxes too. I mean now that we can see the gender and an image there's no technical reason you have to birth. But I think it's still a matter of pride in a way, seeing boxes up on the panels just isnt the same. It also changes the vibe of the auction from being a special event to just another way to box shop so I'm torn there.

To OP: I know I may have expanded on your question, but in thinking about making a universal auction schedule, there's a lot to consider. Every auction has it's own flavor, and it's own following. Starting up a new auction can be a nightmare I imagine and it would take time to prove yourself, develop your own style and build a following. It really has little to do with overlapping times. I do understand how it would feel though if there was suddenly another auction scheduled at the same or overlapping time as yours. Its easy to take it personally, and I'm sure there have been times where it was but I don't think that is usually the case. Everyone seems to want to auctioneer now..there are more markets cropping up all the time too. We are steadily growing but supply still outweighs demand for the most part.

The best advice I could offer would be to strive to make your auction really great. Sell cats that you are proud to sell, always be honest in your dealings with others, and have fun! Best of luck to those who choose to give it go =o)
Boy am I glad I don't have to deal with this anymore, but as an auctioneer who did 3 days a week if someone came along while I was still auctioning and told me I had to give up one of my days for someone else I would have told them where they could shove it.

I can also add that when I first started auctioning, about 2 years ago, there was very few auctioneers around and even fewer who actually bred KittyCatS, as the community ha grown there have of course been in increase in auctioneers, auctions and markets. I myself have fought against others who tried to schedule auctions at the same time as mine as have most auctioneers who have been around awhile. If you are a good auctioneer who knows what they are doing and saying (as Noc said), you have a good solid audience/clients and you put the time and effort in with them and your auctions. There really isn't anything more you can do and trust me if you do those things you will stand out and people will notice!

I think the idea of imposing rules as to what people can and can not do is ridiculous and rude.
many auctions allow boxed kitties if you look around its pretty standard excluding a few Smile
(04-15-2013 07:40 AM)ruby Tierbal Wrote: [ -> ]many auctions allow boxed kitties if you look around its pretty standard excluding a few Smile

Yes, I have seen those auctions as well and in general I think live kitties are most becoming for an auction I personally don't like the display mode so much.
But in some cases it is just painful if our cattery is stuffed with new LE's and their OS and we see an awesome kitty in the line up we just can't adopt as we are totally maxed out Smile
yep always good to have a choice Smile
(04-14-2013 07:30 PM)Sanura Snowpaw Wrote: [ -> ]I think the idea of imposing rules as to what people can and can not do is ridiculous and rude.

Totally agree with you Sanura on this one. That is why when I have taken over the GridWide Auctionon List I only take the information, and I don't say "So and so already has that slot." If you are good and know what you are doing (saying), and take the time to review the kitties your sellers are bringing to your auction BEFORE the auction (isn't that why we give you a Notecard about our kitty- and put out pedigree linkers?) then when you are in the auction you will be able to give out correct information instead of guessing and miss leading others. And People will respect you as someone who knows what you are talking about.

Not to go off topic to much - I dislike going to an auction where the auctioneer rushes in at the last minute right before the auction starts, and you can tell they are just then looking at NCs and have not spent any time before hand getting to know what each person has brought. It is unprofessional and annoying.
To make the point again that Sanura said, if you are good, and take the time to know what you are talking about....your clients will come, and the bidders will come too. Being an auctioneer is a serious job, and personally I don't feel it is for just anyone who can read off pedigrees and say a kitty is really cute. It is someone who should be educated on breeding.

~BreeAnn
(04-14-2013 07:30 PM)Sanura Snowpaw Wrote: [ -> ]...
I think the idea of imposing rules as to what people can and can not do is ridiculous and rude.

I agree in general with this specifically, wether it is about auctioning or anything else concerning breeding, buying, selling and basically everything in what ever world Smile
But besides that I highly doubt with this amount of community members it is even possible to maintain auction regulations.

In auctioning as well as the regular buying/ selling dynamics counts it is a free market and everyone can do as they wish.
Nobody ever likes all everyone does but that is not so important I think because it is hard to please everybody.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's