KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Genetics Testing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a suggestion that I haven't seen in a SL breedable, but I have seen in a text-based cat breeding game (Pure Felinity) that could be a good addition to KittyCats.

There could be a cat genetics test that would be kind of expensive (with the idea that you'd use it on a 3rd or 4th gen to check the traits, not every cat) that would tell you the exact traits that a kitty has.

You'd have the option of attaching that info to your kitty's pedigree page (when they are up). It would add value to the cats to have a certified purebreed and could help when planning breedings.

I think people would pay $5-$20 RL to see if their "pure" russian is really pure. You wouldn't want it cheap because it would take some of the chance (and fun) out of breeding and would mean rares would eventually become less rare, but could be a good way to work towards your perfect kitty.

I don't worry as much about the rarity, but I have in mind kitties that I want (my vampires will rise!) so I think it could be a useful tool if the cost were balanced correctly so it was not prohibitive for poorer breeders (like me) but not so cheap that every cat had a genetics test.

What do you guys think? Would this take too much chance away?

Heart,
Amanda
I think it would take the fun away from breeding, personally I find it fun to figure out what my kitties hidden traits are. It would be nice to have a family tree listing the grandparents/parents showing traits.
Reference URL's