KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Using Punnett Squares?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was wondering if anyone had every thought or is currently using punnett squares to help out with breeding KittyCatS? I am currently looking into it trying to get it all figured out but I think it can really help out with breeding purposing and to help figure out more of the dominate and recessive traits.
Just a thought. Pretty new to KittyCatsS but I ma a fanatic about genetics and breedables.
I did not know they were called like that, but I do use them in my head. Smile
Yes. I'd hazard to guess just about everyone uses them or one of the other models which does the same thing. It's been some time, but I'm sure there are a number of old threads about it. And, yes, most do it in their heads, even if they've forgotten (or never knew) the name of the model they use.

Saga's lists are the cumulative result of using them. They'll save you a lot of time "figuring things out".
(03-16-2013 08:07 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote: [ -> ]...

And, yes, most do it in their heads, even if they've forgotten (or never knew) the name of the model they use.

That's me in a nutshell Smile
I'd draw them when I started out, and still do in some cases though most of the time now I do it in my head as others have said. I find them very helpful.

Is there anything in particular about them you've been thinking about or trying to figure out?
Would think a punnet square might help one visualise a simple fur exercise,
but my issue is the fact I'm not simply trying to breed a specific fur,
but specific fur,eyes,tail,ears,whisker,shade all at once!
You set up your punnet square for a fur and in the meanwhile
your LIME green eyes are being stomped with AZURE.
The cat alchemy will drive you to the brink of MADNESS!
"Ok..ok..almost there....one more...NOOOOOOOO! BOO BOO??? THATS NOT A SWANKY TAIL!!!!"
oooo Winter, but you *can* use your punnett squares in more complex ways to include odds for a few traits at once!
[/align]
(03-17-2013 04:01 AM)Bea Shamrock Wrote: [ -> ]oooo Winter, but you *can* use your punnett squares in more complex ways to include odds for a few traits at once!
Are you talking a dihybrid cross?
Wouldnt it be easier to just smoke some weed and
get all creative that way??? Wink
I use a spread sheet to track my starters ^.^ , with a LOT of help from Saga's lists ....
I'll point you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendelian_inheritance for a fairly good explanation of the entirety of KittyCatS genetics. Don't follow any links to any other concepts in genetics (except, maybe, to check a definition).

On the page you'll see a simple Punnet square (using Suns, on the left side) for simple Dominant and Recessive production. That's all you need.

To the right is a larger chart labeled Dihybrid cross showing the production resulting when you're looking at two traits at once (say fur and eye color). But, don't get too caught up in either the fact it has a name, or that it *appears* more complex than the chart on the left. In actual fact, except that it has a name, it's the EXACT SAME chart as the one on the left. I know, sure looks different: it really aint.

Or, I could take a couple hours and do the FULL chart for KittyCatS. I hereby dub it the Di-Di-Mono-Mono-Di-Di-Di-Di-Di-hybrid cross chart since it shows every single possibility. Of course, there's little point in posting that chart because it's be HUGE.

So, stick with the simple charts, don't get too caught up in them, though, and learn to do it in your head.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's