KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Info Character Limit in local chat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As of today LL has given us a new improvement to our SL experience Smile

It seems there is now a character limit in local chat for one message.
This means the KittyCat Info is being truncated when there are more lines than the new limit. Note I am assuming there is a limit - since the more characters Info contains, the more the Dad's info is missing at the end

In the case of a MegaPuss w/ a hat and necklace attachment, everything from the Pupil size on down is now gone.

It affects Live cats more than boxes, because Live cat info uses more characters.

The Info from web pedigree pages is still normal of course. But not being able to click on a cat and see the Dad's complete info in local chat is a new problem.
I have did a small test making my MegaPusses 3 attachments (glasses, collar & shirt) were hidden and pedigree was turned on and I got less info when they were hidden (as it does add characters to say "HIDDEN") than I did when they were shown as normal.

Dad's info with attachments shown as normal and pedigree option enabled
DAD: Penney
Fur: Ocicat - Ebony Silver
Eyes: Genesis Eart

Dad's info with attachments hidden and pedigree option enabled.
DAD: Penney
Fur: Ocicat - Ebon
This is a maint-server project
Scheduled 2013-02-26, for Second Life Server
Features
Region restart notifications now use a more visible format (SVC-7759[c])
Bug Fixes
Fixed some crash modes
An avatar banned from a parcel can now select an object located in that parcel if they have 'Return' powers over that object (SCR-496[c])
Instant messages are now truncated to 1023 bytes to prevent certain types of delivery failure

I'll bet that is the problem - started right after the latest install early on 2/26
Ohh I bet that is exactly it! I hope that KittyCatS is able to come up with some sort of work around for it. The timing totally fits as well cause I know I did NOT notice it when setting up for my monday auction but I for sure noticed it setting up for tomorrows.
GAK. Well, I guess it you have noob programmers and a buffer overflow at 1024, it's a lot easier to truncate the messages that to actually find and fix the bugs. /me sighs. I'm obviously getting too old.
The fix is easy: break the message into two or three parts. Just remember to identify the parts, and break them at logical points, because the order of delivery is not guaranteed, so users will need a clue when, as happens (rarely, but does happen) they get the parts out of order.
According to http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits:

Length of a chat message and whether or not it is truncated: 1024 bytes or single-byte characters. Limit does not apply to instant messages via llInstantMessage and communication between IM and email, the limit there is 1180 bytes or single-byte characters. This is true as of 2012-08-13.

So this isn't a new change.
i've been noticing that the order has been getting screwed up too besides cutting it short. Even for something small like renaming your cat. I'll click on set name and and the 1st and 3rd part where it tells you to type the new name and their response to their new name is above whatever you pick for a name. funny how sl's "fixes" end up creating more issues than they solve. Tongue
(02-27-2013 08:17 AM)Tatiana Cheng Wrote: [ -> ]... funny how sl's "fixes" end up creating more issues than they solve. Tongue

Typical LOL
Text has been working fine for me...it's kitties toys that keep getting broken.
Reference URL's