KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Pedigree Anonymity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What was the point of doing this, and what positives and negatives do peeps feel it will do to the secondary market ?

It feels this update has come from, the thread "what is protocol" that im sure many have seen.

Me personally i don't see any need for such thing and can be quite damaging too the secondary market for new breeders too.

If its there at least give the option too turn it off or on... its our choice
even if the option to turn it off is there people will assume when you don't have it on it will mean your dishonest.

Ohh yer what about the breeders that like too use alts too ? guess the cat is out the bag of who is who.

*cough* breech of privacy *cough*
The one thing is now the breeder is allowed to click the pedigree of a cat they bred and either sold or gave away which from time to time is needed. Otherwise I also worry about the possible implications as well.
I just had a box, and when I saw all the names all over, I just had to come here to see what was being said about it.

I would like the option of turning it off to be honest. I don't have anything to hide and will gladly give credit to any breeder who's kitty is in any of my lines. If you see blueberry in my kitties I can tell you chances are it was from Sax's amazing kitties.

Isn't this over kill? We can go farther back into pedigrees now anyway. It's obvious if the great grandparents or whatever show another name.

I really do appreciate all that kc does to try and make everyone happy. But there are times when you should just ignore us. Angel (though a little devil smilie would be nice)
I agree I dont love the idea of seeing everyone's names. It looks as though they have amended it anyways to say "You" and "Someone Else". The only concern I had was that the "kitty elitists" would have the ammunition to be more judgmental towards breeders who dont exclusively own/breed the full line at glance. Otherwise being able to click on your cats even when you dont own them, is a really nice feature. Smile Thx KittyCats!
(02-04-2013 08:00 PM)devilness chant Wrote: [ -> ]I just had a box, and when I saw all the names all over, I just had to come here to see what was being said about it.

I would like the option of turning it off to be honest. I don't have anything to hide and will gladly give credit to any breeder who's kitty is in any of my lines. If you see blueberry in my kitties I can tell you chances are it was from Sax's amazing kitties.

Isn't this over kill? We can go farther back into pedigrees now anyway. It's obvious if the great grandparents or whatever show another name.

I really do appreciate all that kc does to try and make everyone happy. But there are times when you should just ignore us. Angel (though a little devil smilie would be nice)

Yeps i agree, it would have been nice if we was asked about this feature too. like a mini poll of some sort.
OMG I LOVE THIS! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I want my name to be something like Incognito.....or Undercover!

[Image: 8445681495_fb43a2d4fe.jpg]
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA by Devilness Chant, on Flickr
Someone Else and You?

I'd really liked the new pedigree.

I know this total anonymity is supposed to be for 48 hours. But, seriously?
As much as I like anonymity, my only issue is that I tend to be a "kitty hunter" and this inhibits me in searching through pedigrees when I'm looking for specific cats to buy. I can understand buying directly from a market, but let's say I want a male or female from a certain breeder, I use the pedigrees as a reference. I know this is only for 48 hours, but for example I was in the middle of trying to figure out who I bought a certain kitty from and now I can't ><
I really appreciate all the enhancements, even though I have only been breeding a year and am still relatively new compared to some of the long time breeders. I liked seeing the breeder names in the pedigree but understand that there are pros and cons to this. I don't care if others know I have an alt named MegaCatz, but all MegaCatz has ever done is cuddle some breeding pairs to save a few Lindens on milk Big Grin
I really hope this isn't permanent, you can't go from giving a community a lot of information (IE: having a chance at knowing who actually bred the kitty in question, now every breeder is just anonymous no matter what, even if they're the owner which places doubt) to giving them less, usually it's the other way around; upgrading a community from giving them less information to more, I feel like we're going a tad backwards even though this concept is really, really neat.

I wouldn't have a problem with this had we not been given the pedigree transparency previously - now it seems like no matter if the breeder/owner are the same, you still can't see the breeder's name, I think this is more hindering than beneficial given our history of being able to look at the pedigree in such a transparent manner before these 48 hours. I also take pride in knowing I have a cat from X line bred out by the hard work of other awesome breeder who deserves some recognition for their efforts in the pedigree and now I can neither see that nor commend it, so here's to hoping this isn't permanent!

All in all, I do appreciate the differentiation between "Owner" and "Breeder" - it's a great concept - though but I wish both the owner and breeder could both be known (or have the option of being known), I think the breeder deserves more recognition than anyone as we've come to know that certain combination of traits stemmed from one breeder's project, and in my opinion that's so cool that they have such an impact in this community! Smile

And if there are parties who do prefer this anonymity, perhaps there can be an option to mask their names as the "Breeder" if wanting to make both parties happy? The breeders who do wish to have their names in the pedigree can keep them there, and those who wish to not be known can have the "Someone Else" if they so desire. Smile I think everyone should have a choice as to whether they want to be known in the pedigree or not, and having options that cater to everyone's perspective is always a plus.

I'm just going to take a Zelda: Majora's Mask (best game of all time) approach to this and say:
[Image: l.jpg]
(Glad it isn't 60 hours remaining! LOL I just hope at the end of the 48 hours we can have the transparency of seeing both the breeder and owner, or have the option of doing so)

I do like the idea of knowing who the "Breeder" and "Owner" are though, this idea is wonderful in concept. I just wish we were transparent about both - in my opinion, the more transparency, the better!

* Edited my post very, very heavily after examining the temporary pedigree setup further! I didn't fully understand the pedigree changes before this edit and posted based off of that, oops!

(02-04-2013 09:03 PM)KittyCats Resident Wrote: [ -> ]If you change pedigreeview.php to pedigreeview2.php in the url you can still see the version with owner names.

Thanks for letting us know! I also think there's an issue with the pedigree page - I was glancing at my older pedigrees and noticed that even if the breeder and the owner should be the same, it shows the breeder of the cat as "Someone Else" when I know that same individual bred that cat. Is that working as intended? Just making sure I understand this temporary setup!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's