KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Nitpicking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, this is kinda persnickity in a way, but is a pet peeve of mine and have been seeing it a LOT lately.

Anyone else seen spam etc that lists multiple 'hiddens' for a cat? Like "Bengal snow hiding bengal tawny(not even possible) and lilac lynx, grass eyes hiding ody carnival and lightwash" etc and so on.

Sometimes I think it may be language related, and the person is just using "and" instead of "or"..but often I see a laundry list of umpteen things the cat is hiding.

I've been thinking about how to best approach it. I don't want to seem rude since I don't personally know the people I've seen send the spam etc..so I don't want to IM them and be all Cat Nazi in their face.

But we have breeding classes, forums, groups, auctions, online manuals..what else can we possibly do?

Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Xanax? =op

Hugs,
Noc
I have seen it to and quite frankly it makes me want to just ignore spam.

Unfortunately most of these are alts and the owners I have discovered sometimes don't seem to care as they would prefer to mislead the unknowing into buying their kitty only to find out it's a dud. Just for the sake of a sale it seems too. Some do take a constructive view when receiving that type of information. I know I would, but some just don't seem to want to know or care.

P.S. I'll take the Xanax! I'm putting together an in-world book on kittycats and would love to have input for it. These types of questions seem to be repeated over and over.
Something I've noticed happening occasionally is people naming cats after furs/traits it doesn't show. Like a Chateau BW2 with Blue Ice being named "Bali Cream Kaleidoscope!" Even more oddly, usually these cats have nothing on the parents or grandparents to indicate any of the aforementioned traits could possibly be hiding! I think it's becoming the fashion to name less fancy cats after the ones you *wish* you had rather than what they are. Tongue
The one that has been perplexing to me is Chat Black & White3 Ody Carnival +3 +2 What is that extra +# for?

I think even with classes and such people get confused as well. I know at my last class a long time breeder was telling that a cat could/should hide more than one thing. Which is simply not true and we have had it confirmed as not true for over a year now. To say I was shocked would be putting it lightly.
(02-04-2013 02:15 PM)Sanura Snowpaw Wrote: [ -> ]The one that has been perplexing to me is Chat Black & White3 Ody Carnival +3 +2 What is that extra +# for?

I think even with classes and such people get confused as well. I know at my last class a long time breeder was telling that a cat could/should hide more than one thing. Which is simply not true and we have had it confirmed as not true for over a year now. To say I was shocked would be putting it lightly.

I think I know who you mean too. lol Huh ikr. I'm guessing that the +0 is additional traits plus what they maybe hiding. Or in that breeders case what else (is wished for) they maybe hiding besides the only trait they do hide. It would be nice to have a name format across the grid. Unfortunately that will never happen. But it would be nice if breeders was to put up something or a sign as to what the format naming style they do use.

**off to take my own advice**
I use the first +# to signal the other traits they are showing that might be more common than the ones listed out already just for space reasons. It is the additional +# that confuses me LOL I try to always use full names for things listed as mush as possible or shorten it a way that leaves it fairly obvious what I am referring to such as Porc = Porcelain, Ody = Odyssey, Round = Rounded ect ect
I usually use a fur & eye combo with add +x#T to show how many additional traits are there. After all clicking on the boxes/image tells you what is there. The in brackets {} I usually try to use the same "naming" conventions lol simply so I don't forget what they hide. Smile Your right it's usually shortens considerably. Then on some I forget if I was referring to Curious tail, ears, or whiskers. Which works sometimes unless they are low trait-ed. ... :lol:
I am trying so hard to be a good girl and be quiet....but alas......Angel

I think ppl are just trying too hard to make sales. I find a lot of spams and adds totally annoying, but I've learned to just chuckle at a lot of them. It seems they're just trying to say something like fur +number of shown traits +number of hidden.

When push comes to shove most of us can read a pedigree and know what is what.

For all the new ppl we can only warn them to be careful and teach them how to read a pedigree. The main thing is to let them know how to access the charts and know how to read them. This way they can better understand what they're looking at in pedigrees and to know what is actually hiding.

Ppl were talking about doing youtube vids for those who can't make the classes. This would be an excellent idea.
(02-04-2013 02:29 AM)Katzen Resident Wrote: [ -> ]Something I've noticed happening occasionally is people naming cats after furs/traits it doesn't show. Like a Chateau BW2 with Blue Ice being named "Bali Cream Kaleidoscope!" Even more oddly, usually these cats have nothing on the parents or grandparents to indicate any of the aforementioned traits could possibly be hiding! I think it's becoming the fashion to name less fancy cats after the ones you *wish* you had rather than what they are. Tongue

Ya I have seen that too. I don't mind when someone names a kitty "Hiding Bali Seal" if it in fact does hide at least that, but hate to see "9T Bali Seal" on a box that turns out to be a 3T Domino and you often can't even piece together a 9T Bali Seal out of what shows in the pedigree.

At least we have pedigrees now. Though I usually don't see them provided on boxes like the example above. I guess it's a pet peeve because it's something I got taken by long ago when I was a noobie..it still burns lol =op

Hugs,
Noc
What bothers me most was touched on in the first post: cats being named or advertised as hiding something they're not. If the owner is a new breeder, I tend to give them a pass, or if they're around, try to explain why that isn't possible.

However there are a few long-time breeders who DO know better that still advertise and sell based on misinformation. Any relatively experienced breeder would know that a foxie auburn cannot hide behind a burmese platinum, and anyone unsure can check the charts to verify it. However, new breeders don't know this. They see a known name selling a kitty for a high price and claiming it hides this fur or that trait and they believe it, because, hey, this established breeder surely knows that they're doing!

I myself will say a cat or box is hiding this fur or that trait, but only if I *know* through my own breeding of the line that is the case, if not better. And I am always willing to help a new breeder read a pedigree or help them figure out what they're looking at before buying, whether it's my cats or someone else's.

BTW: "The one that has been perplexing to me is Chat Black & White3 Ody Carnival +3 +2 What is that extra +# for?"

I take this to mean +3 hiding from one parent and +2 hiding from the other.. most people just combine the potential hiddens so this does seem a bit odd. :^)
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's