KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Are there too many?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd like to start this post with a disclaimer lol.
I don't mean to step on any toes with what I ask. Its just something I've been wondering about lately and wanted to get the opinions of others that may have more knowledge and involvement than I do.

So what I am wondering is:
Are there too many auctions and markets? Does it hurt the bottom line? I've been in KittyCatS a loooong time. I remember when there was Catnip and Juiceberry. I don't remember who had the first auction but I am sure someone knows.

What I remember back when I first started going to auctions was they were PACKED and I mean standing room only almost every time. But they weren't an everyday thing back then.

Now it seems like there are so many auctions you can't possibly go to them all and if you bought a cat at each one you'd be broke. For me, it's taken a little of the excitment away. Like having a birthday party everyday would get old pretty fast.

I still love going to auctions most of the time, I just have to sit on my hands all to often and watch as a great cat goes no sale. And I don't mean to say that I think people that are having auctions should stop or shouldn't have started. I've toyed with the idea of a market/auction myself but decided against it since there were already plenty to choose from. Then ended up at Nacht's Landing which has worked out great for me.

I guess what I am really rambling about is I wonder if having so many auctions and so many markets creates indifference? I figure it's a natural progression as there are more and more people breeding. But I think there will always be more cats than there are people that want to buy them for the most part. Or do I just think that because I am a hoarder?

I dunno. I really hope I didn't offend with this question and I'd appreciate any thoughts you'd like to share.

Thanks,
Noc
I was there as well when KC had wááááy less community members with less markets and less auctions and in a way I miss these times also but I see also a positive thing in this.
I think the community has grown and therefore more auctions/ markets are needed to serve everyone with the variety of tastes (as for the market community) the timezones and auction styles.
Being an auctioneer is a skill I have noticed and every auctioneer has it's own style and I actually like to see that.
They frequently organize a high variety in their line up and I can really tell a difference by auction styles and their line up.
No sales bug me as well ofcourse especially when people are most of the time focussed on what a cat shows and not so much on the hidden potential.
There is a general saturation of the market it seems wether it is about personal sales or auction sales there are just so many good cats we can pick from.
I would hate to miss some of my favorite auctioneers and their style to be honest so I don't know if less auctions would be the answer to the problem of a saturated market.
Oh and I would love to bring a cat at the Nacht's auction I hear so many good things about them!
They are not in my timezone though >.<

P.S. If it was possible to bring the markets back to just a few that would be totally awesome by the way but I'm not sure if it is possible as people find their home apparently on many many many different markets and related auction houses.
In a way I wish the same as you Smile
Ooooh I'd LOVE to see one of your kitties at Late Nacht. Let me know if you ever want me to proxy for you, I'd be happy to =o)
(12-10-2012 07:54 AM)Nocshadue Balbozar Wrote: [ -> ]Ooooh I'd LOVE to see one of your kitties at Late Nacht. Let me know if you ever want me to proxy for you, I'd be happy to =o)

Ohw wow thank you!
I gladly accept that offer Smile
I have mixed feelings about auctions as well as auctioneers and how many we have now. I personally won't go to some auctions because of the style of the auctioneer (you have the good with the not so fair way to do it) as well as the people that are selling the kitty. It's more a personal style, I simply won't buy a kitty from certain people even if it's one I really want and willing to pay what they ask.

I think the market and auctions have a lot to do with each other. The market drives auctions and with so many new people the variety is in demand. However with the recent market trend (way up) and the influx of so many kitty's and people buying them along with trying to sell what they personally don't want at this time of year has all come to a head so to speak and kinda created a recession. It usually happens in any economy that grows to fast. We can get through and ride it out if we stick it out and work together to do so. The key now will to keep the people that have found KittyCatS to stay with it.

The variety is awesome and I try to make it to quite a few during the week, just to browse or because I can go and have fun or a seller has a kitty I want. Like Kay I too have some I can't make simply because of the time frame and RL interrupts SL. One of these days I'm going to have to cancel RL to make a Late Nacht auction Smile too.

This is my 2 cents worth as well and mainly my opinion so I hope I didn't offend to many to badly.
Yes there are!

Great topic!
Wow tripping down memory lane. i think Juiceberry was the first to do auctions. I could swear Catnip started doing them later. I miss Catnip. As wonderful as a lot of the kitty sims are, Catnip was like home.
They were different times. Not as many breeders so there was no need for so many sim shops.
I don't want to upset anyone either, but an auction every second of the day seems a bit much. I do think there's a need to do them for different time zones too.
I remember when I first started doing auctions at Juiceberry and there was hardly anyone doing them. I still love auctioning but I have noticed there is a drop in how many can make it simply because they get over-loaded. I do like that there are lots for other time zones as well. Because I can remember when there wasn't so much variety and it would really upset people.

I am not sure of the right answer either. I am sure that every market and auction fills some need or want within the community but we seem to be spreading ourselves out more and more.
If there were a central web site, formatted as calendar, even though it might allow multiple events scheduled at the same time, people would tend to avoid that.

Just saying.
I remember about 2 yrs ago there were not many auctions that I could make and then RL got in the way when they were available. Sometimes I'd like to see not so many, but on the other hand, I'm making friends and getting great advise at all these auctions.

What I don't like is when people friend you and they are holding their own sim auctions and are spamming you.........I end up removing what could have been a very good friend due to their spamming of their personal auctions. I get enough spamming from the groups which I do tend to turn off when I can't even carry on a conversation lol but I do know its necessary.

I tend to read the auction notices on here to see what's going to be at the auctions I enjoy that part because I can decide if I want to go to an auction based upon the full line up. As much as I love auctions, I can't enjoy SL if I go to every auction...though I might add the temptation is there!! lol
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's