KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: What makes a cat pricey?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm just curious, I see cat with the same color of fur, go for completely different prices. So I wonder what's the sell point on these peeps?
What traits are people looking for, and what makes them expensive?
Any input or guides would be appreciative, thanks for looking!
Basically, it is like anywhere else, just what people may pay for that item. In Kittyland, a new or very recessive trait can be very pricey - even more when both. A combination of the aforementioned traits can make a cat even harder to afford - as it is usually a lot of work breeding them (ok, some are lucky and get a good combo in a cat to begin with.)
Besides the hard facts, there is the notion of how coveted a trait is. Seems the Foxies and Bengal Tawnies are not that recessive, but somehow hard to breed and therefore still rare and as more peeps want them than there are specimen to have, prices stay up.
I noticed also a kind of fashion that changes quite quickly and can cover any trait that is not alley-cattish. You can often watch this at auctions.

Usually the prices avalanche downhill as soon as the market is saturated. And a lot of sellers try to compete to sell the last ones as long as this cat is sellable - in many cases these are examples of a formerly highly coveted trait, people invested a lot of money and now try to get their return of investment.

Disclaimer: I know this list is not complete or economically grounded. It is a summary of observations and intended to offer a quick survey of possible factors and mechanisms.
Also it is not the fur only people look for, that's why you see the same fur selling at different prices, there are the eyes, tails , ears and whiskers.
Some care about them just as furs, but I'd say fur is the most important trait to many.

Personally I like good combinations, and I go for recessiveness if I'm using the cat in pulling some traits.
Yes a good combination of traits in one cat can be such a short cut in our breeding programs.
As this avoids we have to breed all these desired traits one by one in our projects which costs much time/ food.
These ultimate trait combination values up a cat very much and we find them often at auctions.
Having said that trait combinations and how valuable they are or how well they fit in ones breeding program is totally subjective ofcourse.
One has to like the traits Smile
Therefore I strongly believe investing in good cats for your cattery gives you good cats (ultimate trait combinations) in the end and from that perspective fur is just an aspect of that.
Also what the cat hides is almost as important as what the cat shows as this tells you something about the potential of the cat.
I was advised by many people to breed what you like - it was ultimately more rewarding. This does not always transfer into sales though as "what you like" varies from person to person. I totally agree with Kay on the hidden traits - I've managed to get a few very recessive furs by laboriously breeding offspring until I finally get the desired result. Traits are of course the same... then the pasting of the traits onto all the furs..then the getting multiple traits together.. it IS time (and kibble) consuming. So if someone has a cat for sale that can save you weeks of breeding it will be more expensive as they have (most likely) already done the work for you. I gotta say though that it is VERY rewarding to open that box and FINALLY have what you have been aiming for!
Reference URL's