KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Custom Collar Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So, I've been having a lot of fun playing around with custom collars, but I noticed something. I'm using the recommended image size for my texture, but it seems the tops and bottoms of my collar end up some random color. Usually white, though once it was a golden color. I don't mean the front facing part, but the actual ittttty bitttty strips of the tops and bottoms of the prim.

I've seen other collars where those parts are actually the same color as the rest of the collar, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong here. lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Big Grin
It seems that it picks up a common color from your texture automatically and applies it
(09-30-2012 05:41 PM)Sanura Snowpaw Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that it picks up a common color from your texture automatically and applies it

hrm. That's a bit annoying that I can't control that. lol. I'm a control freak. >.> But I'm sure I can work around it. Thank you Sanu! Heart
(09-30-2012 05:48 PM)Slut Fallen Wrote: [ -> ]hrm. That's a bit annoying that I can't control that. lol. I'm a control freak. >.> But I'm sure I can work around it. Thank you Sanu! Heart

I agree some just don't end up well.
ikr .. .same last i asked about the editing of the texture, fitting it correctly on the collar as you can do on the tester but it cant. i had to edit the texture how i wanted it before applying it to the collar because once the texture loaded you cant do nothing.
so i think if you add one line of color to the top and bottom lines it might do the trick but first test it on the tester and adjust the texture on the image editing software before. it has to look the way you want it on the tester without editing and then you can apply it on the collar
I think Sanura is on to something about the collar picking up a color for the prim edges, today I made a totally transparent collar except for a little black bow tie in the middle, and the end result had a black line on the front top edge of the collar, it must have picked up the black from the bow tie. Oddly, the back of the collar had no lines...

I've started applying an Outer Bevel (or maybe its Contour?) to the collar edges in Photoshop and that seems to make the edges blend into the fur a little better, sort of an optical illusion...These collars are so fun, am on Number 17 now LOL!
A common mistake is to forget that Second Life wraps ALL textures. If you don't want the color from, say, the top, to bleed over to the bottom, and bottom-to-top as well, you need to be sure there's a few pixels margin at the top and bottom. This is often not noticeable with non-Alpha textures, but it can be quite obvious if you have an Alpha texture with opaque color touching one edge and transparency at the other.

The size of the margin varies depending upon the LOD, as well as prim sizes and geometries. My recommendation, if you want to avoid the problem completely, is to leave at least 16 pixels margin on all sides. For collars, since they will generally only be seen at close range, a smaller margin of just 2 to 4 pixels on all four edges should do.

Of course, you don't want a margin at all if you want the texture to tile seamlessly in one, or both, directions.

If you're Mesh modelling, you can pre-program the margin by ensuring your UV Mapping has the margin. That way you don't need to fiddle in The GIMP or Photoshop to correct your textures.
ok i didn't understood not a word in all that..lol wow!! I not a math genius so that wouldn't had been much help to me at least. but i thought you cant edit the collars at all besides the testers. so how can you fix it without doing that on the texture self?
I don't think the problem will be solved by leaving an empty pixel border, if I'm understanding Tad correctly. In this instance it would be better if it actually would bleed over because sometimes you end up with just a plain white top and bottom which gives the collar an unfinished look. I wonder what would happen if you made the texture a few pixels larger height wise? Would this possibly cause a bleed over onto the top and bottom of the collar that could be useful? It would be ideal if we could just edit the tiny top and bottom face of the prim rather than just the front face.
i use the bevel and emoboss tool and i changed my height size just a little larger so that I could put a solid color or the main texture there as a little strip and it seems to work out...
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's