KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: How to best start selling for new breeders?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am starting to get a few boxed up kittens/live cats that I am ready to sell or do something with. I'm wondering what recommendations you have for new breeders who want to begin selling. If I only have a few kittens I don't feel like it's worth the money to rent a stall/store at one of the markets, but is that the best option? Is there any sense in trying to put medium traited kitties at auction or bidboards? Or is trying to sell on the marketplace a good option? I know menagerie is an option, especially so as not to flood the market, but for a new breeder with no extremely well traited kitties that I will be able to sell to pay for food, I would prefer to try to sell at least a few low-linden kitties here and there to help with upkeep for the rest.

All recommendations welcome! Thanks in advance!
I would say either a small shop space or bid boards as auctions tend to have rules and limits about what you can place but it really depends on the kitteh in question.
If you only have a few to sell, renting a little stall in one of the larger markets might be a good idea. Those places get lots of traffic constantly so there's a good chance people will see your kitties. DiY bid boards are also an option. The bidding usually lasts just 24 hours so you can sell them quickly. I'd recommend an open bid if you aren't sure their value or don't think they are super traity. I've sold some like that and it works nicely. Probably the most important thing is to make people aware of what you have. Advertise in the forum and in different kitty groups. People might be looking for a cat just like yours!
im so keeping an eye on the replies to this because i asked to but no replies yet and i really want to know too
I like this question frankly eventhough the answer might not be simple or the approach might be different depending on the individual breeder's taste Smile
I noticed a tendency on the market people are looking either for new hidden or shown traits or high traited cats.
The reason people like to buy high traited cats is because they know when they breed such high traiter with any cat or even a starter it is at least packed with goodies.
So what I would do in your case, because since gender is revealed on the box I notice people are even more picky, is invest in some well traited cats and let them make some offsprings and include them in your other projects and eventually back breed or sibling breed them to get the unrevealed hidden traits from them.
In example two 9 traiter kitties make always 9 traiter offsprings so this could really value up your kitties.
The prices for high traiters vary but in my opinion they are always valuable.
And indeed if you have managed to make something to show for I would contact a manager of one of the excisting markets to put you on the waitinglist, if there is any, for either a small venue or a bigger venue.
I noticed also a nice shop layout helps to sell kitties why I prefer to rent some more prims than I stricktly need to display my cats to make it more attractive with decoration and such.
When the market does well the price to rent is easily covered and a well balanced and decorated venue attracts the eye of the potential buyer.
Having said that the markt knows fluctuations ofcourse, such as during the summer season it is usually somewhat slower, which makes the waitinglist also shorter to find a new and good location as well, so this is a good time to find a nice shop I think.
This forum and various in world groups are an excellent place to promote your best kitties to bring traffic and draw people's attention.
Most markets have their own groups in which you can promote the kitties displayed there and there are also groups which allow every kitty to be promoted no matter on what market they are.
Also a nice way is to show what kitties you have is make a thread on this forum under the section showroom with pictures of your kitties and open a FlickR account if you don't have one.
KittyCatS has an official KittyCatS FlickR group as well where you can post your kitties.
If people like what they see they can for example visit your store via either your in world picks if you have your store listed or via the signature you can make here on the forum with a SLurl.
Now gender is revealed on the box it is indeed as you suggested an option to sell boxes at marketplace eventhough I'm not sure if the community is using this option already.
I personally prefer to get involved with a market not only do they take care of the promotion of their sim(s) so you don't have to worry about that but I noticed also it is nice because markets are often a place where people meet eachother during auctions and other social events such as breeding classes.
In the lobby of the KittyCatS Main Store you can find also a free merchants pack with all sorts of cute signs for your store.
You need to wear you Addicts grouptag to get it.
I hope this helped some good luck with selling it is so much fun Smile
As the Gringe/Grudge in Kittyland, I have to pipe in, too. I know that people are often very disappointed when they proudly display their breeding efforts at some sim and no one seems to care. This is not because their cats or breeding is worse than others, but due to the fact that there are very very many cats on sale around. The competition is tough and often leads to the sellers underbidding each other.
A good rule of the thumb if to sell a cat at all is to ask yourself "would I pay for this one?" or even better "Would someone, I know, cough up what I am asking for?"
Kay is right about the tendency for highly traited, in numbers and recessiveness, cats having better chances on the market. Especially if the pedigree implies a possible 9T with really rare traits.
The next problem area will be the pricing of your cat. I think it is a misconception that any cat will sell if the price is right (besides being so silly as to sell them around the menagerie value so ppl convert them for K$). Lower prices will not sell a cat but lower the benchmark. (Think of yourself again, when you don't want something, you wouldn't buy it even if cheap, like in a sale)
Only invest as much as you have a rough idea to gain, like how many cats you have a realistic chance of selling. But give your stall some time to establish.
As mentioned before, it won't do to throw out some boxes onto a market stall end expect the money to roll in Smile make your shop unique. Thus, work on unique cats, this will be some way to achieve your niche in the competition. Better not focus on "What would sell?" but on "What do I like breeding?" This is way more rewarding and trends change very fast. A fascinating combination of traits might make make your signature cat.
Choosing a spot to sell is a difficult decision, too. Market sims have a lot of (even real) traffic, but you have a lot of competition around. Best look for a spot near the landing point or some places of interest like the auction stage, bidboards and other places that are being spammed. When you have your own place, the chance of cat buying footfall is low. You will have to establish that place on your own, but a lot of lag plagued people might prefer to have a look than to have a crashing spree at busier places.
Some final remarks on advertising your treasures: better to yell clear than loud. Tell ppl what you have to offer, but don't do it too often or fill half the screen with ASCI art (a lot of ppl will mute you if they feel disturbed) Aggressive marketing often turns out to be contraproductive - like having some gadget to press your LM or whatever on passers by when they stroll a market sim.
I hope I didn't paint the cat biz in too dark colours and best of luck
I think the bidboards are a wonderful place! My friend who is often not confident enough about her own kitties whom she considers medium-trait kitties (despite my prodding her to think better of them!) has gathered such confidence from the friendly bidders and other bidboard sellers, perhaps more so than auctions from her perspective. I think bidboards are a wonderful place to start if you're just looking to make a bit of money here and there but don't have enough kitties to warrant owning a kiosk/cottage at any of the secondary market sims.

If you ever need space to put a few kitties for sale though, you're more than welcome to put a few at my cottage, big hugs! Heart I also help out at Too Adorable bidboards and can show you around if you'd like if you're unfamiliar with bidboards. Smile
Being a fairly new breeder myself, it can be a daunting task trying to sell your kitties. There is a great trait chart here on the forums, use it Big Grin It has great information and will show you just where your traits are in relevance to their recessiveness. There are many ways to sell your kitties. Bid boards have been mentioned and they can be found on quite a few of the sims that offer Kittycat auctions. These are usually an inexpensive way to sell your kitty and will last 24 hours. Most sims will advertise their bidboards, and attract buyers looking for specific traits. Auctions are another option; however I have noticed that some sims are very particular in what they sell so before you buy a panel try to talk to the auctioneer first, or attend a few auctions, see what is selling, talk to other breeders. Higher traited kitties usually sell best at auctions and most look for 7+ traits; in some special cases auctioneers may allow lower traited kitties if they have a very special or new trait.

If you plan on breeding as a SL business or just for for fun, you may at some point invest in a small shop on a sim, and in some form of advertising. This can help sell your kitties as well. As with any large group of people, virtual or real life, there will always be personality conflicts. So find a group that you feel comfortable with, make some friends in the KittyCat community and have fun!
Wow guys! Awesome advice! From hearing what everyone has to say I think I will definitely wait a little bit and try to get a stall/cart somewhere. KittyCatS has definitely become an outlet for my other creative pursuits as well and I've made a few pedigree givers and such that I might try adding to a cart to supplement select kitties available. In the mean time, I might try to make use of the bidboards for select kitties. Deery you are so sweet to offer up your cafe and to show me around and when the time comes I will definitely be IM-ing you with questions! Don't worry Malicia, your description is not too dark and gloomy, it's just reality! I'm sure it's hard to see a kitty you think is adorable waiting around for a new home but with the amount of kitties and the differences in tastes I'm sure it happens all the time. Thanks again for all your really insightful advice guys!
Personally, I can highly recommand to financially carry your kitties and their breeding without being in need of selling them to cover rent for stall, food and stuff. I do it this way. I have SL-Jobs like that of a dancer just to count one... in order to get the costs for the food and the rent of my land together. Like this, I am not in absolute preasure to sell my cats. I can price them and wait. I know I have good breeds and I can allow myself to just wait for that person that wants exactly this cat of mine. The competition is indeed hard. At the end, I stopped renting stalls at a market but have my own store on my own parcel... I have more sales there than on the market where the competition is really hard. While I think the market place is a really good place to find great great kitties far under their actual prices. It will always be like this, the seller wants their cat to sell high and perfect and the normal buyer wants to get a real steal of a deal. It's all about whether you are in need to sell cats to make the next food or rent or not. Your own personal need makes you set the price unreasonably low. If you don't depend on the sells as source of income you be much more relaxed, that's for sure. You can slowly raise up a name as good breeder and become source of people that search for quality breeds or for this or that trait in specific. I have sent 9 trait kitties to menagerie before. I just refuse selling my cats under price and if they don't sell at all then they go to menagerie or if they are boxes then they wait in my inventory. But at the end you will find your own way....you can try out everything and see what works best for you. Smile
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's