KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Copy Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have had this happen 3 times now where a kitten box has been sold to me and it was a copy of a original. All 3 times I have had to take the lose on the kittens. I think there should be a way to tell if it is a copy or not. I always click the box and look at the kittens parents and traits so if it is showing me the kitten shouldnt the kitten be in the box and not a copy ? I would think it would not show me anything if it was a copy of a original.
(08-11-2012 08:32 AM)someone Kukulcan Wrote: [ -> ]I have had this happen 3 times now where a kitten box has been sold to me and it was a copy of a original. All 3 times I have had to take the lose on the kittens. I think there should be a way to tell if it is a copy or not. I always click the box and look at the kittens parents and traits so if it is showing me the kitten shouldnt the kitten be in the box and not a copy ? I would think it would not show me anything if it was a copy of a original.

Unfortunately the only way you find the duplicates, apparently, is to birth them. This can happen if someone thinks a box is 'missing' and requests a replacement, and somehow they get two of the same box. Until both are 'birthed' it normally doesn't show up, I'm not sure why. I would suggest that you contact the sellers of they boxes. Any reputable seller will fix this situation for you, at the very least get you a refund.
on the first 2 boxes it didnt show until after the update so I was unsure of the purchase date on those. the latest was just this past weekend and I sent a note card to the seller and Im still waiting for a response. however I think that there should be a way that the box alerts a buyer. Honestly all it is doing is making me not want to shop the secondary markets if I keep losing cash.
(08-11-2012 08:47 AM)someone Kukulcan Wrote: [ -> ]on the first 2 boxes it didnt show until after the update so I was unsure of the purchase date on those. the latest was just this past weekend and I sent a note card to the seller and Im still waiting for a response. however I think that there should be a way that the box alerts a buyer. Honestly all it is doing is making me not want to shop the secondary markets if I keep losing cash.

the duplicates on the older ones, kittycats *should* be able to tell you who owns the duplicates, you can enquire where they were bought and go from there.
I agree, this can be a problem.
I think I have had this twice and I directly filed a ticket with the transaction history of my purchase as well as the ID of the cat to claim the cat to be mine.
Ofcourse after this contacting the seller is a good idea and inform them you filled a ticket on the cat/ box in question.
Likely the seller didn't do it on purpose.
Also I believe renaming the box after a purchase makes the cat/ box connect to the server maybe that's a good way to find out if it is a duplication or does this only work for live cats?
I did file tickets and was told to contact the seller. What Im suggesting is if the box is a duplicate then when a person (buyer) clicks the box it should not show as if the kitten is there because I wouldnt buy a box that wouldnt give me the information
(08-11-2012 09:22 AM)someone Kukulcan Wrote: [ -> ]I did file tickets and was told to contact the seller. What Im suggesting is if the box is a duplicate then when a person (buyer) clicks the box it should not show as if the kitten is there because I wouldnt buy a box that wouldnt give me the information

I totally agree!
or another suggestion is since the system knows there is 2 boxes with the same ID# what if the box told the Buyer to contact the Seller when clicked ?
(08-11-2012 09:56 AM)someone Kukulcan Wrote: [ -> ]or another suggestion is since the system knows there is 2 boxes with the same ID# what if the box told the Buyer to contact the Seller when clicked ?

Actually the DB has no way of knowing there are two, boxes don't contact the server unless they're renamed. It tracks by the cat ID only, and it has no way of knowing when a box has changed hands except within SL limitations. An inventory to inventory transfer, for example, doesn't register until the new owner actually rezzes the object.

Live cats, on the other hand, contact the server on a regular basis when they're in world (and I assume the cattery as well), or when they're renamed or form changed (changing to low prim mode, for example), so if it sees two cats with the same ID reporting from different owners, i'd wager *that* is how the duplicate message is triggered.

It's entirely likely even the seller didn't know s/he was selling duplicates. If someone bought a box but didn't rez it, for example, it'd still show in the original owner's pedigree. They see it there, can't find it in inventory or cattery and request a replacement... then the fun ensues.

As crazy as it sounds, this is part of why i prefer to transfer boxes by putting them down and setting them for sale rather than just transferring via inventory. If the other person doesn't rez the box when transferred via inventory, then it never leaves my pedigree.

KittyCatS have to work within the constraints of the second life inventory and permissions systems.
oh, Liriel, that was a very good explanation, I didnt' realize the information about boxed versus live kitties and updating the server. Good information to know!
Reference URL's