KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: flea: Box Names in Pedigree
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been updating my boxes in batches to 1.25 ... bringing them in-world from inventory, running the 1.25 updater, changing them to image mode, updating my spreadsheet with sexes, then picking them up, still in image mode. The problem is that SOME, and only SOME (a small percentage of what I've updated so far) show names for the boxes in the pedigree, most don't.

After further research with a set of four boxes, two of which showed the names in pedigree and two of which didn't, I was able to figure out that if the new 'gender' selection is checked under text display, the box name shows up, otherwise it doesn't.

I was able to re-create this by checking the gender display selection in two boxes that didn't show names in the pedigree. The names suddenly appeared in my pedigree where they hadn't before. I went back and UNchecked it to see if they disappeared in the pedigree list, but it didn't. So apparently that gender selection must be checked at least once in order for the name to upload to the DB.
That is a really handy glitch hope they are able to roll it out with all of them.
The release notes for this update actually only mention the box name to be kept when you send a box to the cattery and retrieve it again, not for them to show up in the pedigree.

However, when you do send a box to the cattery now, or on an owner change, or on rez, the name will be registered as well in the pedigree. This was not intended though, but we will not be removing it and may be expanding it to any name change in next update.

You will be able to register any box name in the pedigree that way.

If you switched them to images, it may have caused an owner event change in the script. Such an early change shouldn't be catched by the box, but i have noticed before the events seem to be delayed sometimes, which could explain it. An other explenation could be that you maybe did rez the box again after updating... The gender text option is actually unrelated.

Regards
KittyCatS
Thanks Liri for sharing your finding! At least we now know how to get around the glitch. I've pulled, named and sent back to cattery a small number of boxes. Not too late to remember which ones and bring them back out and check gender button.

EDIT: We must have been writing at the same time. Thank you KittycatS!!!! And thanks for not removing it even though it wasn't intended to happen. I'll check my named boxes then in pedigree -they should show up named.
(07-20-2012 03:40 AM)KittyCats Resident Wrote: [ -> ]The release notes for this update actually only mention the box name to be kept when you send a box to the cattery and retrieve it again, not for them to show up in the pedigree.

However, when you do send a box to the cattery now, or on an owner change, or on rez, the name will be registered as well in the pedigree. This was not intended though, but we will not be removing it and may be expanding it to any name change in next update.

You will be able to register any box name in the pedigree that way.

If you switched them to images, it may have caused an owner event change in the script. Such an early change shouldn't be catched by the box, but i have noticed before the events seem to be delayed sometimes, which could explain it. An other explenation could be that you maybe did rez the box again after updating... The gender text option is actually unrelated.

Regards
KittyCatS

I just ran an experiment on two newly born boxes.
a) I verified both show in pedigree, no names, both were switched to image mode after they were born, then sat for 1/2 hour or so while I was doing other things.
b) I named one box 'test' but didn't select *any* of the display boxes and the other box 'test2', with all *but* gender display selected -- The boxes are in my pedigree, still with no names
c) I waited 10 minutes and confirmed with a shift/refresh that my pedigree still has both boxes, and still no names.
d) I clicked the 'test' box and checked ONLY the gender display, no other action, no change in pedigree
e) I clicked the 'test' box and renamed it to test3, no other actions, again nothing happened.
f) I clicked the 'test3' box and selected 'all' for display, no change in pedigree.
g) I clicked the 'test3' box and renamed it 'test4', no change in pedigree.
h) I took and re-rezzed the 'test4' box, at that point, the name showed in the pedigree.

With that in mind, with the 'test2' box still with 'gender' unchecked, I took the box and simply re-rezzed it, and the name updated in the pedigree, so the 'gender' display selection doesn't matter, what I saw yesterday was apparently coincidence, as KittyCatS said.

I went and re-rezzed and re-took all the boxes i've updated so far into inventory, and all the box names for those are now re-appearing in the pedigree. So that's the 'trick' -- once you've updated your boxes, take them into inventory and re-rez them. This may also work with cattery, I don't know because I don't use it .. yet!
Reference URL's