KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Suggestion: UUID Backup in PDF/TXT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello my fellow Breeders and KittyCats Staff,

Last week has been very tough for me. I managed to lose kitties four times! Thank you staff for the speedy return of my loved ones Smile

One time last week I rezzed 9 kitties (too fast) from the cattery... not one arrived in-world... After some cries I started the job of going through the online pedigree to search for the lost ones. Imagine about 100 kitties, 9 lost, some in the cattery, some rezzed out, and the only vague thing I know is I only rezzed out females Big Grin. Furthermore the pedigree filter choice isn't remembered after reading a specific pedigree...

I bet you had your specific SL server issues sometimes yourself. And/or multiple shops... I get tired only when I think of it. But...

This gave me an idea. So the online pedigree list has a nice filter. It shouldn't be a big thing to list the UUID's in the main pedigree list too? In that way it's also possible to make one PDF file (or even TXT file if you like) of all the kitties in your pedigree at the given time and on the grid. In the event of losing kitties you save up hours for searching. By the way, for some this would help in trusting the kitties to the cattery. I know some think rezzing them out is safer.

What is your opinion?

Paws Sincerely,
Shadow
On safety: the Cattery seems the safest place to store cats.

On UUID in the Roster: this would certainly make a lot of things easier since the Cat ID (which you can't see, but is there) does not help.

A few weeks ago, I did a full-Roster audit on Charm's entire stock. Before I did that, she put everything in the Cattery except for stock in the shops. By definition, if it's listed in the Cattery, it's not lost. So once I'd removed those in the Cattery from her full Roster (did that on Excel) all I had to do was by-hand check what was in the shops. That was only a few dozen instead of several hundreds, so it wasn't that hard. At the end, I had a list of missing cats. Filed a ticket explaining how I'd arrived at the list and all the missing IDs. A few hours later Charm received a folder with all of them.

What prompted me to do it was multi-fold. The very fact of the Cattery's existence was a major factor since it drastically reduced the work involved. The large number of boxes Charm turned in for her Le Tirge cats reduced the problem a lot, too. It was that she lost a few boxes bringing them in from the Cattery to be released that made up my mind.

I like her to use a Dock. It's easily replaceable. If she can't rez the Dock, she figures it'll have problems so she moves to another shop, relogs, or simply waits, depending on what we think the issue is.

While it's sometimes too easy for her to accidentally click a cat, not realizing it's the to-SL page (a background color change would probably fix that), she's learned to click ONCE on that page, switch to SL to ensure the cat arrived, and only then click on the next cat.

So, while she consistently has problems rezzing at one shop, by using the Dock carefully, she's generally able to avoid losing cats because of that.
Reference URL's