KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Region idling/impact on KittyCats?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today Linden Labs is rolling out a new server-performance measure that will put regions on "idle" when there are no AVs in a particular region, or looking into a particular region from an adjacent region. For now it's just on the Blue Steel servers but it is expected to roll out grid-wide.

Region Idling FAQ

Discussion thread.

My concern - which has been raised by a few people in the discussion thread and was discussed briefly last night in the KCAddicts group - is what this is going to do to breedables. Right now I'm keeping some live cats in-world (most are in the cattery, but at any given time there are a dozen or so getting milk to sync their breeding cycles.) The region where I keep them is often empty. I could move them to a region that almost always has people in it, but script performance there is not as reliable.

I don't want my cats to get hungry or miss out on their milk! Is this likely to be an issue for KittyCats?
After reading through the FAQ I'd say the proper question, for more breedables, is more properly framed as "What impact will my breedable have upon Region Idling?" Breedables tend to make use of network functions, which will un-idle the region for a short while, probably 30 seconds or so (my guess; to allow network round-trips to function normally).

While KittyCatS Resident will certainly want to do some testing on Blue Steel to see what, if any effect, idling might have, I don't expect it to be much of an impact upon KittyCatS. Breedables which monitor time dilation, such as Meeroos, could be severely impacted.
Reference URL's