KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: New Subtle Shade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a suggestion that i think many would welcome having discussed shades with a few people recently.
I think what we need is an extremely subtle shade, pretty recessive too, somewhere in the future and not too soon of course Wink
We have flair already so maybe be something just a teeny touch shiny as in Porcelain.
Many of us in fact prefer our kitties to look natural so how about it Callie if you look in here.
To me, Shade is a problematic trait area. Of all the traits, it's the only one which depends critically upon the settings in each individual's Second Life Viewer. For some, the only visible difference in Shade is the name. Making the differences subtle makes that even more of a problem as different viewers render different settings slightly different. For those who do have the options in the viewer set to be able to see Shade, Windlight settings can have remarkable effect upon Shade; so effect can vary not only by individual preference, but by Second Life region or even parcel.

I would caution, also, about increasing the number of traits in some areas. Those areas with few possibilities (Pupil and Eyes Shape, being the prime examples) the challenge is overcoming the effects of that lack of traits, especially when considered in light of the breeding patterns generally used to exploit the more populated trait areas (Fur being the example here).
Lately, I have grown sort of tired of shades...

When I first bred KittyCatS, it was all about the NUMBER of traits, and it was to me too - and indeed I managed to be the 2nd person to breed a fully traited cat (which was 7, at the time - before whiskers).

Later, it became more about how recessive the traits were... More recessive = better. -And I had this dream to combine the most recessive eyes, fur and traits into one kitty. -But upon seeing new and more recessive traits pop out so often, I gave up on that too. It is simply not possible to breed all the recessive stuff together before something more recessive is added.

-Now, I actually breed for what I think is cutest. Yeah, took quite a while to get to what should maybe have been 1st priority from the beginning, but hey... live and learn, eh? Wink
-And this is where the problem of shades come in... because honestly, they're not cute at all. It makes a cat look less like a cat and more like figures of various sorts. -But since I also still breed a lot of 9-traiters, breeding the shade OUT is actually a problem! LOL... I tried, believe me Wink

Now, if a shade was added that IS a "traited" shade and acts like one (dominance-wise), and yet looks much more natural than the current ones, that would certainly be my new favourite! I don't even care if it would be dominant to flair or recessive to twinkle - as long as it is recessive to "natural", and hence could be used against a starter to indicate whether or not that starter threw it's hidden shade.

So, in short: Yeps, great suggestion, Anna!
I agree I would love to see more subtle, natural looking shades regardless of how dominant or recessive it was.
This has totally my vote a nice subtle almost invisable pretty recessive shade.
because yes shades can be cool don't get me wrong but I prefer to be able to make a 9T which still looks very much like a normal cat Smile
It would be awsome if for example a shade such as flair is was most or very recessive.

I have finally a cat with Light Wash eyes yay!
But it has an illume shade (sorry not so yay) because as Saga said it is hard to breed a shade away especially since this Light Wash must be bred mutiple times before it pops on the desired fur and my guess is this final breed will have an illume shade.
I agree! I don't like shades so much, but I don't like to get the Natural because it is a non-trait so I'd like a traited shade that's more realistic, that's almost not there.
Not sure if this was mentioned, but a shade that is actually a tint might be a cool idea. For example a dusky tint on a fur, might darken the normal fur color.
(04-19-2012 01:34 PM)Khea Karas Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if this was mentioned, but a shade that is actually a tint might be a cool idea. For example a dusky tint on a fur, might darken the normal fur color.

Ohhh! I like! <3

-As I already have a thing for dark cats, this would be aaaawe-some!
Well in theory i like the idea of a tint, but i'm trying to imagine what kind of tint would look good on all furs without dulling them. The neutrals would do this and i don't know which color would look ok.
(04-21-2012 10:31 AM)anna acanthus Wrote: [ -> ]Well in theory i like the idea of a tint, but i'm trying to imagine what kind of tint would look good on all furs without dulling them. The neutrals would do this and i don't know which color would look ok.

I agree it seems hard to find a colour which works with every cat likely in the grey scale right?
Reference URL's