KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Your lesser trait cat boxes still have value!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know they aren't valued auction material, and if you need the menagerie $ or just don't have the prim space on your land then, by all means, menagerie your cats; however, many people seem to be under the impression that dominant cats or cats with some Genesis traits have no value in the trade market. If you have space on your land, toss them on the kitty market. It may be just what someone is looking for. I often find myself looking for a cat that has a certain trait, such as "Dreamy Fold ears" or "Dusky Whiskers", but has more dominant traits otherwise. That way, I can more easily breed the traits I want under those dominant traits. I recently bought a 1 trait cat for that very reason, and I was more excited about that find on the market than many of the 9 trait cats that are readily available. Granted, your lesser trait cats may get a little dusty sitting around, until it just happens to be the cat someone is looking for. So, if you have the space, don't be afraid to have a little "100 Linden" grab section of lesser trait cats sitting around! They're sometimes hard to find when you need them.
(07-22-2018 01:08 PM)Jag Jetcity Wrote: [ -> ]So, if you have the space, don't be afraid to have a little "100 Linden" grab section of lesser trait cats sitting around! They're sometimes hard to find when you need them.
Jag thanks for posting this! Since I have been seriously reducing the number of cats I breed, I am finding more time for other projects. I started working on a KittyCatS Warehouse for this very reason. I have hundreds of fails that aren't quite good enough for my store but to good to menagerie. I am going to divide the cats into breeds and set them all for sale soon. I am starting with the Abyssinans.
Supply and demand. If you flood the market with 100L cats low trait or not it hurts the value of them all in the long run. Better to menagerie cats if they aren't worth much. Make the supply lower and the demand higher. In return the value of cats left on market would be worth more too.
(07-23-2018 02:58 PM)MitsuruKirijo06 Resident Wrote: [ -> ]Supply and demand. If you flood the market with 100L cats low trait or not it hurts the value of them all in the long run. Better to menagerie cats if they aren't worth much. Make the supply lower and the demand higher. In return the value of cats left on market would be worth more too.
This is a good point, and one that has been debated for years by KittyCatS breeders. I agree with this statement regarding new traits on the market, but not for poorly traited cats or common traits.

I think there is value in charging more for high quality cats, and newer traited cats. But both Secret Smile & Too Adorable have menagerie sections at their Sims for a reason. It encourages new breeders. I know when I started breeding I was floored by the price of KittyCatS. It takes time for a breeder to understand how to breed a quality cat. It isn't right to charge the same price for a low traited cat as you would a high traited cat, and why not give those who can't afford to buy the newly traited cats something affordable to work with?

I was thinking $100L does seem pretty low though, and I know that Too Adorable allows you to go up to $250L for a menagerie quality cat but won't allow you price it any higher than that. Besides, you price a cat too high and it just sits and what good does that do? I figured out the value of one menagerie cat is equal to about $40L. With the price of food, if you can at least get $200L for lower quality cats at least you can recoup some of the cost of breeding it.
(07-23-2018 02:58 PM)MitsuruKirijo06 Resident Wrote: [ -> ]Supply and demand. If you flood the market with 100L cats low trait or not it hurts the value of them all in the long run. Better to menagerie cats if they aren't worth much. Make the supply lower and the demand higher. In return the value of cats left on market would be worth more too.

I agree that cats with nice traits should not be sold for a low amount of $L
But if all of the cats with mostly Genesis traits or dominant older traits are always discarded, how will people obtain them? And obviously you can’t ask for the same amount you’d put on a cat with awesome traits.
When was the last time *you* saw a Red Tabby?

Becha it's getting to be more rare than most of the recent 'awesome' traits, and many of the 'meh. whatever' middlin' traits from four or five years ago.

Someday someone is gonna look around and say, "I looked everywhere are there are NO Red Tabby boxes!"

OK, OK. So last year when I said the exact same thing a few of you ran to your Catteries and came back to say you had some.

And you're going to do it again, right now.

But betcha fewer of you are coming back to say you have some.

Some day you're all gonna come back and say "Oh, no, we can't find any anywhere."

And when that day comes, you're all gonna agree, 1/2-a-million L$ for a breeding pair of Red Tabbies is quite fair.

And you're all gonna kick yourselves for dumping them into the Menagerie.

Just sayin'
I'm not actually worried about any of the furs - though some genesis can be hard to find. The traited furs have niche breeders and designer red tabbies are kind of a thing. (Bought a red tabby last week because it had ody wonder eyes that would go on a chartreuse tiger.) I am more worried about mid-range whiskers. Whiskers are kind of an afterthought for a lot of people. I was also checking my Cattery just last night to make sure I had a decent supply of Ody #1 ears.
I use Red Tabby because it was retired long ago, was one of the originals, and a decade or so ago you couldn't give one away "What, if I want the White Russian, I have to take a Red Tabby, too? No thanks."

I agree, the 'lesser' traits like whiskers (a late arrival) and shades (visually problematic) are more likely to disappear due to inattention or low interest.
(07-24-2018 07:33 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote: [ -> ]When was the last time *you* saw a Red Tabby?

Becha it's getting to be more rare than most of the recent 'awesome' traits, and many of the 'meh. whatever' middlin' traits from four or five years ago.

Someday someone is gonna look around and say, "I looked everywhere are there are NO Red Tabby boxes!"

OK, OK. So last year when I said the exact same thing a few of you ran to your Catteries and came back to say you had some.

And you're going to do it again, right now.

But betcha fewer of you are coming back to say you have some.

Some day you're all gonna come back and say "Oh, no, we can't find any anywhere."

And when that day comes, you're all gonna agree, 1/2-a-million L$ for a breeding pair of Red Tabbies is quite fair.

And you're all gonna kick yourselves for dumping them into the Menagerie.

Just sayin'

I love Red Tabbies and actually have some on sale in my store, but I understand your point. Breeders like me are few and far between, most breed only what they like and menagerie anything they can't easily sell or use. Thankfully there are those of us that stash away just in case and that make a point of collecting every traits, genesis included so we can know that nothing will ever be lost, but to find a lot of those traits you'd have to know who to ask because you won't find them easily on the markets.
Personally I think anything that keeps traits outand easy to find is a good thing, so what if they are low T boxes and a bit cheaper, isn't that the fun? To take them and make something new and different over toime til you get that perfect 9T cat you are after. A friend of mine does just that takes low T boxes and traits them up she took a load of mine to save them from the menagerie. Yes I menagerie because if I didn't I'd have in excess of 20K boxes by now
(07-24-2018 07:33 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote: [ -> ]When was the last time *you* saw a Red Tabby?
I keep Red Tabbies breeding with each new introduction of recessive traits. I use them to clean up my furs, and am waiting for the day when KittyCatS releases another dominant fur and everyone is scrambling to find dominant furs to breed them to, I do the same thing with Mocha eyes.

With that said, I get your point. Maybe some day the old traits will have a retro effect and be in demand, but hard to find. . . . Maybe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's