KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Easter Cats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I just want to voice an open concern. Yesterday at the trivia, Equi said something that makes it appear that the upcoming Easter release isn't going to be a small group like the lazy daisy's, but another huge set with multiple lines like valentines.

I'm sorry, but at this point, it's becoming unsustainable to keep up unless you're willing to sink unlimited real life dollars into kittycats. Sales are still slow and cats without the latest and greatest are selling for peanuts, even well-bred 9T kitties, and a lot of this is because people simply don't have any money for it.

I understand KC needs to make money, but multiple multi-line releases in such a short time is killing it for me. If I can't sell my own cats for reasonable prices, I certainly can't afford to invest more in more starters, nor even keep feeding my breeders.

Maybe I'm alone in this, maybe I'm not. But to me, this is getting out of hand.
I'm going to jump in here with a caution I've picked up on another forum where I'm arguing there is far too little new stuff ...

Too much of a good thing can be bad.

There are other breedables where too much new stuff clearly has had a strongly negative effect.

I think the concern about a "huge selection" so close after another "huge selection" is "too much of a good thing" should be strongly considered by the game designers.
I back Liriel on this 100%. As an auctioneer and also as a seller in this breedable, things have completely crashed and bottomed out since the Vday releases. Actually, I would venture to say it goes farther back than that. With all the floods of new traits on the market, Liriel is correct -- Unless you have the newest and most recessive, your cat is worthless. Even those of us who are in this for more than making money or aren't interested in the latest and greatest, are struggling to share our hard work with the community because noses are turned up to a 9T cat.

As soon as you breed out a nice set of traits on a new fur, its worth beans because another newer fur has come out that is now more exciting. So all the time and money you put into breeding that last cat was a complete and total waste. If it isn't the most recessive or the rarest or the latest and greatest, you're out of luck.

With multiple lines of multiple cats, people will literally spend hundreds of RL dollars to collect them all - point in case being the Ambrosias at Vday - and for weeks after that they have nothing to spend in the secondary market. I know that KittyCats tends to support the secondary market - but lately it seems that you are completely contradictory to this with all the collections and new traits coming out. If you aren't stupid lucky breeding your collection cat and pulling out a great fur, eye, and ear, then you're pretty much screwed because by the time you get those traits on the cat, its not going to sell.

With the Ambrosias, not only were they the rarest of the Vdays, they were the ONLY cats to hide a new shade. That was a poor decision to support your secondary market financially. While I realize it brought you a tidal wave of cash, through sheer dumb luck as I understand it, the rest of the market is now dead. Twinkle is one of the few shades people really want (most recessive), the new Vday eyes are the only eyes people want (latest and greatest), and even some of the new traits from the Winter collection are being brushed aside (sorry, yesterday's news).

So those of us who are one of the minority, really, who appreciate well traited cats for the sole purpose of breeding for more well traited cats - or for aesthetics - cannot even afford to feed our own cats anymore because nothing sells. All that time, energy, patience, food and milk... wasted. A 9T cat will no-sale at an auction when the opening bid is 1K. A cat with perfect rainbow prism eyes will sell for 400L. What kind of market is that???

I apologize for the long rant, but this is just one of the many things going on right now that is breaking KittyCats. In summary: Cut back on the collectables. Is it really necessary to put out 20-odd cats? And please stop with the new traits. We have more than we can even remember or count right now.
I fully agree!
As a collector I would love to have my collection of cats complete if easter becomes a huge collection again I might get discouraged to achieve this goal.
Less is more I feel!
I love a set of 4 kitties such as with easter 2011 and the RFL kitties.
Since halloween it blew out of proportions a bit and yes these releases effect the secondary market.
I don't care much for sales or I should say this is not high on my priority list as I make sure I can support my kitties regardles sales but I witness as well the secondary market dropped and somehow I doubt this is reflecting a good thing.
Eventhough I can tell all these cute super lovely kitties are made with passion, care and devotion I would love the releases somewhat less outscaled so we get actually the time to breed and appreciate them it makes them much more valuable if there are just a few of them.
I would love to see all my V-Day kitties and breed them but it are simply too much kitties to support and I miss being able to see them all and become happy by them.
They live in my inventory currently and I want to see them so bad but I have to breed them in bunches of 3 at the same time to not disturb the amount of cats I breed and feed at the same time.
Two things concern me in this post:

Why are the trivias not announced on these forums - we even have one called "KittyCatS Contests/Events"? I had no clue there was one, despite reading forums every day, and this is not the first time.

-And then to the point of this thread: Yes, I agree 100% with Liriel. I too am concerned if another "seasonal collection" turns into SEVERAL collections with LOTS if cats. It dumps the secondary market every time, and the recent V-day kitties were a prime example of just that.

Also, if the collectors end up giving up collecting because there is simply TOO many different cats to collect, it not only affects the "normal" secondary market, but the whole sub-market of collector's items/cats. Less collectors = Less market value.
I for one feel like I am being taken advantage of by the KittyCats team, its suppose to be fun and exciting to breed cats. but its become nothing but a money grab in my opinion. be the first to get the latest and make the most Ls off it and in turn make everything else is worthless, I have had to continually cut back further and further on my breeders cause I cannot financially support them and if i cannot make them self sufficient then they will have to eventually go. By the time it takes to get a decent cat to the secondary market to help support myself in this hobby its not worth much if any at all.

Another issue is i started keeping collector cats as a way to preserve the history and display the great work that the kittycats team has given us, cause i think the cats are an amazing piece of art, and I have told Callie this a number of times. I'm not in this to make money i don't think i can ever recoup all the money I have spent in getting what cats i have now, in my collection, but as more and more come out and as they are deemed rare or carry certain trait they totally become stupidly expensive and i for one will not pay 100s of RL dollars for a virtual good.

I have had such a high opinion of the KittyCats! Team cause I was convinced that they were not like other breedables out there but the actions in 2012 have made me re think that position.

I will close this post with this as my RL budget is strained further and further with rising cost of gas, my hobby fund is taking a hit and I really have to think about where i should spend it and this breedable starting to fall on the list of what to spend on..
(03-18-2012 02:31 PM)Liriel Garnet Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to voice an open concern. Yesterday at the trivia, Equi said something that makes it appear that the upcoming Easter release isn't going to be a small group like the lazy daisy's, but another huge set with multiple lines like valentines.

I'm sorry, but at this point, it's becoming unsustainable to keep up unless you're willing to sink unlimited real life dollars into kittycats. Sales are still slow and cats without the latest and greatest are selling for peanuts, even well-bred 9T kitties, and a lot of this is because people simply don't have any money for it.

I understand KC needs to make money, but multiple multi-line releases in such a short time is killing it for me. If I can't sell my own cats for reasonable prices, I certainly can't afford to invest more in more starters, nor even keep feeding my breeders.

Just for the record, I didnt say or indicated there will be a huge Easter Kittycats collection....but thanks for your input Smile
(03-18-2012 03:18 PM)Saga Felix Wrote: [ -> ]Two things concern me in this post:

Why are the trivias not announced on these forums - we even have one called "KittyCatS Contests/Events"? I had no clue there was one, despite reading forums every day, and this is not the first time.

-And then to the point of this thread: Yes, I agree 100% with Liriel. I too am concerned if another "seasonal collection" turns into SEVERAL collections with LOTS if cats. It dumps the secondary market every time, and the recent V-day kitties were a prime example of just that.

Also, if the collectors end up giving up collecting because there is simply TOO many different cats to collect, it not only affects the "normal" secondary market, but the whole sub-market of collector's items/cats. Less collectors = Less market value.

Yes you can blame me for the trivia not being posted in the forum <heads down> I forgot to post it in the forum and only made a group notice about it, I promise it will never happen again :-)
No Liriel, you certainly aren't alone in thinking this.
Last year was the beginning and so a lot of new releases in a short time span was exciting and we all were thrilled and looked forward to them.
Now we have more traits than we know how to handle and many of us are dreading the idea of new releases now, especially as the number of new traits seems to augment each time, and also for the reasons given above.
Well i suppose there must be an easter release but can't it just be limited like the LD collection was with just special eyes and a shade or something.
And after all, we spend all this money for something we are supposed to enjoy, not to have more and more headaches.

a PS about the Ambrosias : i think if you bring out a collection with only one of the kitties possessing a certain new trait (a shade in this case), it's pretty damned obvious that many are going to keep buying until they obtain the kitty with the trait, throwing in good money after bad.
(03-18-2012 05:06 PM)SmartKittyCat Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-18-2012 02:31 PM)Liriel Garnet Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to voice an open concern. Yesterday at the trivia, Equi said something that makes it appear that the upcoming Easter release isn't going to be a small group like the lazy daisy's, but another huge set with multiple lines like valentines.

Just for the record, I didnt say or indicated there will be a huge Easter Kittycats collection....but thanks for your input Smile

I apologize, Equi, you never said anything outright, you did say something about (and I'm paraphrasing) one of the lines that would be coming out will be a favorite of yours or something to that effect. That, to me, indicated that there would be more than one 'line'. We've had two HUGE (at least from my perspective) new collections and one not-so-huge releases spaced about 2 months apart each. The last collection had 24 or 26 distinct cats to have a complete collection. They've been out a month and we're already looking at another collection, potentially with multiple lines .. what else is one to think?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reference URL's