KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Extinction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have any of the retired furs or traits become extinct? Some are really difficult to find, so my thought process took me to a what if. I love working in and preserving retired traits and furs, and moving them around among the hoards of excessive recessive.
Define "extinct".

While it may be hard to find a given trait, given the way some people horde boxes, I'd suspect those hard-to-find values are languishing in someone's inventory or Cattery. In addition, I suspect some have non-breeding specimen, somewhere, for all trait values.

I would expect, however, that finding a live, breeding specimen for the oldest retired values would be extremely difficult, if not impossible.

That said, while it's quite possible for trait values to be completely lost to all players, there is probably no way, event for KittyCatS, to accurately answer the question.
Nelly, if you post what you want, particularly in the Wanted section, I bet some breeders could dig into their Catteries and find things. Like Tad said, people hoard. I know I do.
Thank you. I do suspect there are also boxes sitting in the Cattery or people's inventories under abandoned av's. too. I'm not looking for anything in particular, just curiosity. I have a line of retired gen bandits I am maintaining because I love the fur and put all sorts of other traits on them without losing it, because it's such a strong coat.
I have every eye and fur except the very newest ones discovered this year. I know I'm not the only "collector" to do this so while you might not find all traits easily I do believe its breeders like us that will stop any trait from ever becoming extinct, plus don't forget the chance any hard to find trait might be hiding and passing unseen down a line ony to pop back out when you least expect it.
I will echo what has been said here! It's awesome that some of the community has preserved and "hoarded" the discontinued traits! And I agree using the wanted section I have heard brings good results! And yes, there are those who have wanted to collect every known trait and preserve them! Good luck!

BTW, there are some breeders who love many older traits and love to mix and match with newer! The combinations they make are quite amazing!
I admit it, I'm one of those hoarders. Early in my Kitty obsession (before profilers), I'd spend evenings cruising the secondary markets for interesting things. In my travels, I learned quickly how uncommon some traits had become, so I set about collecting them all. I'm sure I'm not the only one. It took a long time and continues still, as the combinations are endless, and each combination has potential to benefit future breeding programs. I regularly breed old traits with new; and am currently breeding Abyssinian Fawn, Burmese Champagne, and Silver & White Tabby, as well as similarly old retired eyes and other traits. A while ago I even "traited up" the original Genesis Flame fur, which was a fun project and lasted about a year. As long as I am in KittyCats, no trait will go extinct if I can help it! :-)
Right now, at Saga site, we're doing testing on the genesis furs, since the relative dominance of those hasn't been worked out. I would say we have live breeding examples or boxes of most of those furs out right now. Certainly there are no extinct genesis furs.

It's the old eyes that are rarest. But I'm pretty sure that none of them are extinct.
I confess, I am trait hoarder as well. Before I put a cat on the market, I try to check my cattery to make sure I have that combination of traits before I sell it. I once traded a nicely traited cat for a cat with several genesis traits because it had grass eyes. I didn't have grass eyes in my cattery. Now I do.
(08-04-2017 06:24 AM)Ivy Norsk Wrote: [ -> ]Right now, at Saga site, we're doing testing on the genesis furs, since the relative dominance of those hasn't been worked out. I would say we have live breeding examples or boxes of most of those furs out right now. Certainly there are no extinct genesis furs.

It's the old eyes that are rarest. But I'm pretty sure that none of them are extinct.

None of the old eyes are extinct as I have them all including the retired Genesis ones.
I'm only missing the newest ones but I'll collect those eventually as well Smile
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's