KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Siamese - Seal Dominance Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am confused. According to Saga's dominance chart, Siamese Seal is the most dominant active fur. However, I have been breeding this fur to one of the most recessive furs but continually get the recessive fur? Why is that?

[Image: 44910eec33c41262becf14590d697efa.gif]

[Image: 8687fcbd136aac067e59bbcdc1f9108d.gif]
Hi Evolving that can be frustrating. I've been trying this with Ody Bellini eyes putting them with dominants and getting the odybell still. Is it possible the dominants hidden is more recessive than the parents?
Hi Evolving, if I say something you already know, please excuse. I will try to be thorough in case someone else sees this and needs the extra info.

Each kittycats has a shown and a hidden for each of their traits. When they breed, each parent contributes either their shown or hidden of each trait, one from each parent which forms the new baby's shown and hidden trait. The more dominant of the 2 will be the shown and the more recessive will be the hidden. In some cases, the shown and hidden trait are the same which is referred to as a pure trait.

Your mom cat shows blue marble and either hides something more recessive or is pure. Your dad cat shows the seal and hides either blue marble from his mom or her hidden trait (which could also be blue marble). You would think that the more dominant fur would show up more often in babies but as you can see, that is not always the case. It is entirely random but you can increase your odds. I will explain:

You would have a higher chance of a seal baby if you mated your seal to another seal even though neither is a pure seal.
Let's call Seal 'S' and any recessive fur 'r'. The traits for the parents in your picture would then be Sr X rr (Seal hiding something crossed with something hiding something, as long as 'something' is more recessive than seal, its fur doesn't matter) so the resulting baby fur possibilities would be Sr, rr, Sr, rr. That is a 2 out of 4 or 50% chance of a seal baby with each random box.
If you breed 2 non-pure seals together, the parentage would be Sr X Sr and the box fur possibilities for those would be SS, Sr, Sr, rr which is a 3 out of 4 or 75% chance of a seal baby with each random box.

To get the siamese seal 100% of the time, I can think of 2 options:
1) Breed 2 pure siamese seals together, this would be SS X SS so there is no question, the baby would also be pure SS
2) Breed 1 pure seal with any cat with a less recessive fur which would be SS x rr with 100% chance of a Sr offspring (Seal hiding something else)

I hope that clears up some things or did I make it more confusing? Huh
Evolving,
I just wanted to add, if you look at the Dad cat (9T Sami Fluffy) Parents you can see a Siamese Seal and a Aust Blue Marble. This means that your Dad cat is showing Siamese Seal but hiding Aust Blue Marble or possibly something more recessive.

The kittens you got that show the Aust Blue Marble fur mean that Mommy (9T Fluffy Latte) tossed either her shown the Aust Blue Marble or maybe a hidden more recessive fur, and your Daddy (9T Sami Fluffy) tossed his hidden witch is either the Aust Blue Marble or maybe another hidden that is more recessive. With out being able to see the Great Grandparents of the Grandparents on both sides it is really difficult to tell if anything more recessive to Aust Blue Marble could be hiding. Just from looking at the parents and grandparents this could be a pure Aust Blue Marble fur. But again to promises.

Congrats on getting the hiddens to toss!
(07-09-2016 01:12 AM)Peaches Latrell Wrote: [ -> ]I hope that clears up some things or did I make it more confusing? Huh

Yes, it does clear it up. You did a nice job explaining the probability outcome. I finally broke down and opened my one female Seal. I am just glad they had a female! Thanks!!
(07-09-2016 01:30 PM)Brunabug Nightfire Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on getting the hiddens to toss!

Yes, funny that the hiddens keep showing up on this one. I have some other kitties I wish I could make that happen for Smile Thanks for the added info. Very helpful
Basically just bad luck if you're wanting the seal...good luck if you're wanting the marble Big Grin. My guess is if you kept breeding them together you'd get a few more seals...the seal has just been on a streak of throwing its recessive.
Reference URL's