KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: locations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
dang shame that pedigree not tell ya where cat is located if ya loose it,like what sim,or inventory folder,would be nice
You can make suggestions to Kittycats for future updates in the "Feedback Corner" of the Forum. This would be a good one to put there.
For the web site to know where the cats are, the cats need to speak on a regular basis. And, then, the information is only accurate at the time it was reported.

As to knowing if the cat is in inventory at all, much less which folder to look in: that is completely impossible. All the web site can know is the cat ceased reporting in. It could have been sold or given away. It could have been deleted. It could have been taken to inventory. It could have been placed inside another prim. Its scripts could have crashed. Or there could be some issues with the servers or network preventing the cat reporting in, such as too many things on one region talking on the web, firewall changes, network card failures, etc.

There is a system which sort-of does what you're asking for and that's the third-party pedigree panels and their marketplace. If you use it, you'll soon see that, while usually fairly accurate, occasionally when you go where it says, the cat simply won't be there.

Same thing would happen if KittyCatS had the feature.
If the cat is alive and is rezzed it will give you messages in the local chat when it becomes hungry and this tells you the location of it. For this to happen it has to start to starve and be out of range of its food
Suggestions should still go to Feedback section. Whether it is workable or not. Sometimes one suggestion leads to others that are workable. I've seen suggestions evolve to something that could work. I have seen suggestions there occasionally happen in updates or as a new trait. Might take a couple years but in Feedback it does happen. I could be wrong but it feels like suggestions in General chat just sort of disappear after a short discussion.

Saying something is in inventory does not mean it has to be specified which folder it is in. Saying it is in inventory is enough. Up to you to find it in your inventory if KC can put an update that says it is there.

The Hud can tp a cat to you as long as you are on the same sim

Kittyboxes tell you where they are when they are birthed and gives you a tp location. There could be some way, probably built into the hud, that we can tp to a cats location if on another sim since we can tp to a kittybox. It is hte same as the hungrycat idea of a hungry cat broadcasting it's location. The fact that a cat can wander from that location by the time you get there may mean it is not htere when you get there - but it is probably close.

It does sound like a major overhaul if hte website is used to pinpont exact location because would have to add a field or something to put out that info and a map link. But if it is a gadget like a hud, may not be so major since it is evident KC servers are already tracking cats since boxes and hungry cats can already broadcast locations. They could make money selling th gadget and save money since not as many tickets would be filed saving labor hours. Pinpointing sim is not hte same as saying it's in your inventory. But if at least I could see "in cattery" or at xyz sim, that would be an improvement rather than in or not in.

However what I do now is check my cattery, not there? Search my inventory. Not there? Use the hud to check the sim I am on so I can tp the cat to me. Not htere? File a ticket. I always get my cat back in 24 hours so it's not a big deal to me. Service is pretty good that way.
> They could make money selling th gadget and save money since not as many tickets would be filed saving labor hours.

Alas, I think any potential cost saving would be gobbled up by people constantly asking why, if the server can tell if a cat is overdue to talk to the server, the server doesn't actively seek missing cats and automatically file support tickets for them. (Lots of very good reasons why not....)

> But if at least I could see "in cattery" or at xyz sim, that would be an improvement rather than in or not in.

The idea is certainly a nice one to think about, though.

*dreamily* Maybe a passive system--the owner has to ping for a specific cat so the server only does it upon request? You might get a result like "Overdue to talk to server. Last known location Smith region." Which would tell you the cat does seem to be missing. (But it may not be, for reasons Tad listed above.) Whereas "Active. Last known location Smith region." means the cat's there somewhere and "Active. Last known location KittyCatS Cattery" is obvious. It would require that the server remember the last place (sim or Cattery) every cat talks from, which it probably doesn't.
Reference URL's