KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: The Auction Experience - Why or Why Not?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone! As a new auctioneer, I thought this would be an interesting thread. I think auctions are a great way to sell your kitties, getting them face time with a live crowd. So I'm just putting the question out there, if you don't attend auctions, why not? If you do attend auctions, list why you enjoy them! Also, if anyone has suggestions for things they would like to see at auctions, let's talk about it. This is a thread all about the auction experience!
I don't attend auctions, but have been intrigued by them.

I went to an auction once, and it seemed like nothing was happening. No one talked to me. In fact, no one seemed to be saying anything at all. I was later told that most of those are conducted in voice, and I may not have had voice turned on. So, I sat there, and politely waited until it appeared to be over and left. Huh

I guess it would be kinda neat to understand what, generally, the etiquette and program is of a typical kitty auction. Maybe this topic will help. ^^
The main reason I do not attend auctions is because a lot of times in the past when I used to go to them the auctioneer would add me as a friend and then spam the life out of me after that. That is honestly why I rarely go now or place my cats in auctions. To avoid that kind of uncomfy situation.
I love auctions. I think they are so fun.
But also:
I would put cats up for sale and then inevitably also buy one. Which is fine. One doesn't need to make lindens this way. But they also have a way of exploding my cattery because every cat I bought I would breed, pretty much. So I was breeding many more cats. Mind you it was very very good for the quality of my Cattery to be bringing in nice auction kitties this way.

I have not attended auctions much in the past 6 months or so. It's just a way of scaling back, getting my Cattery under control. I consider it an on-again off-again type thing.
And to say again, I think they're very much fun as an activity.
I understand some people are intimidated and don't know the ins and outs. It is maybe helpful to have somebody more experienced give advice. Some auctions are better than others for beginners in terms of carefully going over the pedigree of each cat and what the hiddens are.

Know how much you want to spend before you teleport in and don't go over budget. You don't need to pay too much attention to the bidding pressures if you are very sure of your fixed limit. And if bidding goes over that limit, just stop bidding. There are always more cats.
My old hardware just cannot take it so (I'm sure) I pay more when sims are less crowded.

Auctions are a good way to get a little social going on.
Hang out with other KittyCatS enthusiasts, and unlike the cats
collecting dust on your shelf, you can often sell one!

I've encountered auctions where a few people might be using voice,
but when you get a crowd using voice it becomes a noisy mess.

Get there early for the convo, since once the auction starts,
too much text in room chat can clog up the works and folks may
miss details from the auctioneer. Hence the quiet rooms you may
encounter at the auction scene.

From the buyers end there are often bargains to be had.

So, that all being said, I like to hit an auction on occasion..
I am an auctioneer and over the last 3 yrs I have done anywhere from 11 a week (which is INSANE) to just the 3 I cut back to recently. I see the value in auctions is not just in buying or selling, its also in learning. This is especially important to new breeders. At my auctions I explain not only what is seen, but how it got there and what the possibilities are and what Each cat brings that make it special.

But the First and Most Important advice I give new people is Dont' But Every Cat You Think Is Pretty! There are thousands of pretty kitties, but we dont have to own them all! Take time to look, decide what you like and then shop with a project in mind or you will end up feeding 200 cats that aren't doing anything for you and you will eventually burn out and leave in frustration. Auctions, kittycats and breeding are all great and fun activities.

Its like planning a meal: Get the ingredients you need and then cook them up; Keep an eye towards Quality - Learn what the Quality traits are and beware the "cheap" stuff because that apparent bargain will not get you the results you want. Besides, it costs as much to feed a quality cat as a mediocre one. Or if you can't resist and think you may have a future project that involves that tempting little haired houseperson, buy it but Dont Open It! Boxes dont eat - Live cats do. Breeding! Again, look around. Use the http://tad-carlucci.com/Build-a-Cat/ page to try different combinations and then Design your kittycat! Dont' be afraid to color outside the lines - If no one did we would not have Picasso!

But like all, Moderation is key. You can learn Alot about breeding even without buying a single cat just by listening and looking at the pedigrees! These are the best things I love about auctions. I meet alot of new breeders and can help them along! And the auctions I make time to go to are the ones where I can see the auctioneer is not just trying to sell me a cat, but takes the time to really analyze it. The *Bad* thing about auctions for auctioneers is that we spend an awful lot on drool rags due to the Gorgeous Cats my patrons bring me! LOL
I am intrigued with what PrettyPoizen suggested "learn what the Quality traits are and beware the "cheap" stuff". This, to me, has been my reason for avoiding auctions. I have never been able to get a good answer about what it is that constitutes "quality". If I ask, the Party Line response is "all KittyCatS are wonderful; just breed what you like". This has never been a helpful answer, and in watching the markets, my only take away is that quality=new (with a bit of a bump for "recessive"). Prices seem to be dependent upon which traits are the newest. I am still not clear about how quickly the charisma of "new" wears off. For example, I have been working for some time to get a good line in Aussie Mist Dark Chocolate, but of course THAT is no longer fashionably new. I suppose that I have avoided auctions precisely because I cannot answer the question posed by PrettyPoizen. For me, the Bid Boards seem to be a reasonable alternative. I look at a kitty, and if it attracts me, I bid. Although I could also do that at a regular auction, I tend to believe that those are limited to the "best" cats, which may command prices beyond my means.
These are all such interesting answers. I'm enjoying reading them. I agree very much with what Pretty says, especially the part about spending a lot on drool rags as an auctioneer (I have learned that one quickly haha!).

Takari: I'm sorry no one welcomed you to the auction you went to. I know most of us love seeing new people at auctions! To answer your question about "program & etiquette", usually, people greet each other and chat in text as they arrive to the auction. The auctioneer is usually on voice to auction off the kitties. While the auction is going on, people will sometimes talk in text in chat to respond to conversation struck up by the auctioneer, but for the most part they are just listening and paying attention to what the auctioneer is saying about the kitty. The auctioneer will announce a start bid on the kitty they are auctioning and you type your bid in chat in 100L increments. The auctioneer will eventually count down the cat and someone will win. The seller then sets the box for sale for the winning bid price, and the buyer purchases it, and the standard "tip" of 10% is usual for the seller to tip the auctioneer. You need to make sure you are prepared to purchase a kitty if you bid on it. It is frowned upon to back out of a bid and is even considered a ban worthy offense for many auctions. Usually auctioneers ask that people avoid putting a duplicate fur of someone who has already set up their panel, unless it is the opposite sex. It is generally considered polite to stay for the entire auction, though people understand that sometimes circumstances arise. Auctioneers will then reset their panels or their wait lists for people who are interested in selling a kitty the following week. And in a nutshell, that's the program Smile

Hi Minx! I do think a lot of auctioneers will send random TPs because a lot of their patrons appreciate them. People forget the auctions/lose track of time etc. However, I believe letting an auctioneer know up front that you do not want random TPs is very reasonable, and if they're unable to promise that, simply don't friend them Smile I hope you'll give auctions another try sometime!

Ivy: Yes, Yes and Yes!

Alassariah: I've been there with the older hardware, it certainly makes things difficult.

Winter: Exactly how I feel about them!

Pretty: Like I said above, I AGREE!

Oselkhandro: Hi! That is a tough question, as a lot of times it simply depends on if there's a buyer for what you're selling. Many times people will just shop for a certain eye or certain tail where the other traits just fit with the project they're working on. Other times, people collect a certain trait, some people like to chase the most recessive things, while others are looking for new traits. If you have worked hard on a line to bring out "pure" traits in your kitties...those are highly sought after cats. Great breeding is much appreciated in the auction arena. Most auctioneers are more than happy to take a look at kitties you're thinking about auctioning and help you pick one. A great way to learn what sells is to attend auctions. I think you'd be surprised that many kitties with older traits, as long as they are bred well, sell great. I do give people a little outline of what *I* consider an auction worthy cat, but others will have different opinions. These are some suggestions I give people with the same question at my auctions, but they are only suggestions.

Suggestions:
Example 1: Solidly bred and useful. A cat that holds dominant or mid level traits but has been bred carefully can be very useful.
Example 2: At least 7T with at least one or two "hot traits". These "hot traits" are usually something fairly recessive, but could be a newer trait that's more dominant.
Example 3: The kitty, regardless of the number of traits, shows or is a proven hider of a new, highly sought after trait.
Example 4: It's so purrrrrrrty! Or it's so Big or Small! Everyone loves matchy matchy, well-traited kitties or well-traited special sized kitties. While some kitties, such as Megas and teacups, don't always have to be as well-traited as normal sized cats to sell, they should still have something desirable (see above) about them.
Aphielle, thank you so much!

That really clarifies auctions so very much and I look forward to attending some in the future!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's