KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: How did I get a Balinese Cream Lynx from this pairing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Admittedly I'm new at this, but I am confused. can anyone offer any insight?

I paired an Australian Mist - Blue marble that has parents also both Blue Marble with an Australian Mist - Dark Chocolate that has both parents also Dark Chocolate.

How does this pairing produce a Balinese - Cream Lynx?

I was expecting a Blue Marble hiding Dark Chocolate
It is probable that further back in the pedigree was that fur. Often times it can be found further back than the parents or even grandparents.
Australian Mist - Dark Chocolate is dominant to Balinese - Cream Lynx.

Australian Mist - Blue Marble is extremely recessive. Given the partner is Australian Mist - Dark Chocolate hiding Balinese - Cream Lynx (precisely), you should expect to NEVER see Australian Mist - Blue Marble from this pairing .. it is impossible. All you can ever see is Dark Chocolate or Cream Lynx.

As was stated above, just because the parents show the same fur does not guarantee the offspring is 'pure' the case, here, is proof of that. Sometimes a recessive value can remain hidden for several generations.
Thanks for you clarification.

I have no shortage of Australian Mists - Blue Marble and it does seem they are quite prevalent in the various secondary markets.

By contrast, Australian Mists - Dark Chocolate are harder to find and are, on average, fetching higher prices (from what I have seen). Since they are dominant, I suppose we can expect to see more of them soonish and for their prices to come down. Is that how you see it?
Prices will always some down. But don't count on a flood of Dark Chocolates; that depends more upon popularity than genetics.

Technically, mid-range trait values are, actually, harder to reliably reproduce; at least until you can produce an actually-pure line which, as your example shows, cannot be done by simple pairings. As you can see from your family, the reason is that they can be both hidden by more dominant values and can hide more recessive values.
Reference URL's