KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Question: Should old Genesis Traits be counted?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Should Genesis Furs Be Counted As Traits?

Five years ago, when KittyCatS first came out, all Starters showed only the first-generation Genesis furs.

Since then, each year, a new generation of Genesis furs have appeared, and the previous year's Genesis furs were retired. So, 'Genesis II' furs are now 4 years old and the original Genesis furs have been retired for 4 years.

Similarly, Genesis II furs have been retired for 3 years; Genesis III furs have been retired for 2 years, and Genesis IV furs have been retired for 1.

The bias against Genesis furs means they are more likely to be sent to the Menagerie, or left to languish in inventory or the Cattery.

To still have, and actively breed the older Genesis furs requires a level of commitment and dedication which, if one considers it, is far beyond the level required for any other trait value.

Yet, still, in general, with only vary rare exception, the original Genesis furs are not counted as traits.

It seems time to call the question on this issue.

Please voice your opinion in a reply. And, please, keep your discussion to the question.
I vote aye, count the older gen furs as traits.

I also vote that in about a year's time, when the new gen eyes have gotten some spread on the grid, that the old gen eyes also be counted as traits.

(And thank you for posting the thread Tad.) Big Grin
And I vote 'Aye'.

I agree, a retired Starter trait value, fur, ears, whatever, should be counted when they have been retired for one year.
Yes. Count retired Genesis.
I think of anything the kitty can pass as a trait! I would say yes!. The eye shape, fur, whiskers, shade, etc. All traits. We just need to squash this taboo that Genesis is bad!.
Just this weekend decided the older gen furs were marvelous! Let's count them!
(02-29-2016 09:58 AM)Tad Carlucci Wrote: [ -> ]To still have, and actively breed the older Genesis furs requires a level of commitment and dedication which, if one considers it, is far beyond the level required for any other trait value.

Yet, still, in general, with only vary rare exception, the original Genesis furs are not counted as traits.

Yay! I also 'vote' yes to counting these older Genesis furs as traits! What fun to be able to see them again --- and with the bonus addition of some of the interesting new traits we have now.

(I am rarely in SL these days, though I still breed a few KittyCatS purely for fun. Over the years, during cattery purges for the menagerie, I made sure to save kitties and/or boxes with each of the Genesis I furs. Recently, I unpacked a Genesis I Diamond teacup for breeding, with the hope/wish that I might get a Mega of that fur. For some reason, the idea of meshing my sentimental affection for the early days of KC with a 'new' Mega size held an amusing appeal for me.)
What an interesting thread. It especially is interesting considering the fact that the new genesis furs are called something totally different now.

I have always loved the genesis cats. But then, I also love all the cats, simply for the cat itself. The way they move, look, and the personalities they seem to have. It's always sadened me that genesis furs have always been "throw away" furs. They are not valued for the beauty that they are.

The thing with now counting them as traits, is discounting what genesis actually means. People always say genesis is not a trait, however, in fact, they are wrong. It is a trait. However, it's the MOST dominant trait. And that is what makes it valued less. Because the trait itself is dominant over all else. Thus, if you breed a genesis domino, with lets say, a chat black and white, chances are, you will get a genesis domino. That is in my opinion, the only reason really that the genesis are so devalued. But, it's also how they are presented from KC itself. "Here are starter cats, with genesis traits. Now go and see what they hide, and keep pulling more and more recessive furs". I think the breedable market, for what it is, devalues their starter furs, regardless of what the animal is, in general.

For people like me, who love the cat for themselves, I am totally for this idea. I'll take a genesis cat anyday. However, for the hard core breeders, who in reality, really do not care about the cats themselves, I do not feel this will necessarily work. All because of the definition of what a genesis cat actually is.

But, for my vote, I vote a huge AYE. Genesis cats are gorgeous, and mixing other traits in with the genesis will result in amazing looks, that hardly anyone has the guts to try to reach for.

Make old gennies count as 'countable' traits?

Though there are some really great genesis traits out there
that don't get counted in the 'trait' scene,
I think it would add more confusion to the whole thing.

End up with everybody walking around with charts, graphs, and timelines.

Oh wait, they have to do that already!

Walking through the cat malls I find that I don't even look at the
traits anymore. If I see something sexeh, I buy it.
Add me to the "Aye" list. I love the Genesis I & II series furs, especially the first Flame fur.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's