KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Newbie post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If we get all starter/genesis to begin with... why should be not breed starter to starter? Again, I am new to this... Please be kind *meow*
Only because you have a lot more genesis traits to work with when you do that. It lowers the odds of a non-genesis trait showing and makes it harder to determine which cat a trait came from. But if you like one of those starter traits or you don't care about variety in the offspring, don't let that stop you.

With any trait (for any parents except Confetti), each offspring has a 75% chance of showing what one of the parents shows (so there's a 25% chance that the offspring will show one parent's hidden), and of that 75%, a one third chance of inheriting the showns from both parents. If you are fond of one of those shown, that's fine. But if you are not, it may eventually get frustrating.
Breeding with a cat that has more recessive traits and then comparing the outcomes using the charts (Do you know about Saga's charts & breeding docs: http://kittycats.biz/forum/showthread.php?tid=2351) can help you reveal your cats' hidden traits. You might find some treasures!
It is about dominance. MsMagick brought up the Saga's chart which helps you to determine dominance.

Each parent has 1 shown and 1 hidden per trait (fur, eyes, tail, ears, whiskers)
Each parent passes 1 to the child
The child gets 2, 1 from each parent -- the 1 that shows will be the most dominant one, so the hidden 1 is the most recessive one

So if you start breeding to get certain results, remember 2 rules
1 + 1 = 2 (1 from each parent)
Dominant is always on top (most dominant shows)
Genesis traits are the most dominant traits. Starter cats show all genesis traits but they hide nongenesis traits.
it's like the brown eyes and blue eyes stuff you learned in high school

Example with fur
Starter Cat A has Genesis Domino Fur shown = A
it has a nongenesis fur hidden = a
lets pretend for now that hte hidden fur is Bengal Tawny
So Starter Cat A has fur Aa aka Domino/Bengal Tawny

Starter Cat B has Genesis Domino Fur shown = B
it has a nongenesis fur hidden = b
lets pretend for now that hte hidden fur is Russian Black which is recessive to Bengal Tawny (see Saga's chart)
Starter Cat B has fur Bb

So each of hte following combos have a 25% chance of happening (and the baby can only pass those 2 traits it receives, not all traits of all parents)
AB, aB, Ab, ab

so you can get
AB Domino/Domino-- a double genesis domino fur baby, Domino fur shows and is hidden both
aB Bengal Tawny/Domino -- Domino fur will show, Bengal Tawny will hide
Ab Domino/Russian Black -- Domino will show, Russian Black will hide
ab Bengal Tawny/Russian Black -- Bengal Tawny will show, Russian Black will hide

Notice in the above 4 possibilities, you only see the Domino fur on 75% of the babies even though they did receive other furs as well. In the final 25% you do see Bengal Tawny but you can't see the Russian Black but the Russian Black is there and can be passed. This is why people often breed children to their parent or siblings togeter

Example you have to 2 sibiings
Sister Ab Domino/Russian Black -- Domino will show, Russian Black will hide
Brother ab Bengal Tawny/Russian Black -- Bengal Tawny will show, Russian Black will hide

now the sibling children possibilities are
Aa, Ab, ba, bb

Aa Domino shown/Bengal Tawny hid
Ab Domino shown, Russian Black hid
ba Russian Black hid/ Bengal Tawny shown
bb Russian Black shown, Russian Black hid

See how in the 2nd generation, you were able to bring out the Russian black fur by breeding brother and sister? Also see how the odds change -- now you have a 50% chance to see the nonDomino fur
You can also do this much faster if you had bred the starter cat to a nongenesis cat in the first place. That is why people breed starter cats to their nonstarter cats like the Foxie salt and peppers or dark chocolate abyssinians paced with more recessive traits -- it is much faster to see what the starter cats hides.

Sorry if it was a bit long but I hope it clarifies things for you.

PS Addendum (added 9/10/15): I forgot to say all Starter cats have the gen trait showing and a hidden nongen trait hidden so you are guaranteed to have nongen traits behind the fur/eyes/tails/ears/whiskers. However it is possible to have double gen cats in their offspring and descendents. OS is the acronym for Offspring that you may see in stores, gachas, auctions and bidboards
I am new also, and just learning. Thank you for this informative post.
I am also curious - how do you get that banner in the sig to update with your latest kitten?

(09-09-2015 03:26 PM)Kayla Woodrunner Wrote: [ -> ]It is about dominance. MsMagick brought up the Saga's chart which helps you to determine dominance.

Each parent has 1 shown and 1 hidden per trait (fur, eyes, tail, ears, whiskers)
Each parent passes 1 to the child
The child gets 2, 1 from each parent -- the 1 that shows will be the most dominant one, so the hidden 1 is the most recessive one

So if you start breeding to get certain results, remember 2 rules
1 + 1 = 2 (1 from each parent)
Dominant is always on top (most dominant shows)
Genesis traits are the most dominant traits. Starter cats show all genesis traits but they hide nongenesis traits.
it's like the brown eyes and blue eyes stuff you learned in high school

Example with fur
Starter Cat A has Genesis Domino Fur shown = A
it has a nongenesis fur hidden = a
lets pretend for now that hte hidden fur is Bengal Tawny
So Starter Cat A has fur Aa aka Domino/Bengal Tawny

Starter Cat B has Genesis Domino Fur shown = B
it has a nongenesis fur hidden = b
lets pretend for now that hte hidden fur is Russian Black which is recessive to Bengal Tawny (see Saga's chart)
Starter Cat B has fur Bb

So each of hte following combos have a 25% chance of happening (and the baby can only pass those 2 traits it receives, not all traits of all parents)
AB, aB, Ab, ab

so you can get
AB Domino/Domino-- a double genesis domino fur baby, Domino fur shows and is hidden both
aB Bengal Tawny/Domino -- Domino fur will show, Bengal Tawny will hide
Ab Domino/Russian Black -- Domino will show, Russian Black will hide
ab Bengal Tawny/Russian Black -- Bengal Tawny will show, Russian Black will hide

Notice in the above 4 possibilities, you only see the Domino fur on 75% of the babies even though they did receive other furs as well. In the final 25% you do see Bengal Tawny but you can't see the Russian Black but the Russian Black is there and can be passed. This is why people often breed children to their parent or siblings togeter

Example you have to 2 sibiings
Sister Ab Domino/Russian Black -- Domino will show, Russian Black will hide
Brother ab Bengal Tawny/Russian Black -- Bengal Tawny will show, Russian Black will hide

now the sibling children possibilities are
Aa, Ab, ba, bb

Aa Domino shown/Bengal Tawny hid
Ab Domino shown, Russian Black hid
ba Russian Black hid/ Bengal Tawny shown
bb Russian Black shown, Russian Black hid

See how in the 2nd generation, you were able to bring out the Russian black fur by breeding brother and sister? Also see how the odds change -- now you have a 50% chance to see the nonDomino fur
You can also do this much faster if you had bred the starter cat to a nongenesis cat in the first place. That is why people breed starter cats to their nonstarter cats like the Foxie salt and peppers or dark chocolate abyssinians paced with more recessive traits -- it is much faster to see what the starter cats hides.

Sorry if it was a bit long but I hope it clarifies things for you.
glad it helped, Ellen

The banner that updates is made by ?????? ?????c ????? (script.hyun) of the Kittybox sim. I was part of a beta testing group. He may be selling it now. It's pretty cool -- you get a statue and if your kittys are on the same parcel or sim as the statue it will both update the banner in the forum and also let you know in local chat -- even if you are on another sim.
I was a beta tester too. I also love the alert it gives in local because you know immediately the traits that your new box is showing without having to go home to check.

The new KittyBox store is here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Wi...217/214/24

The one that updates the signature is the "Image Sensor" that looks like this:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3484]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3485]
Hmmm..I just went to the store and bought the Image Sensor...it seems that your kittens must be born in-world to show? Or will it show the Cattery boxes?

I don't see any signature image on this post, like the rest of you show..so I suppose it isn't working..at L750 thats a disappointment
Yes, your kitty must be born inworld not in the cattery. Some of my kitties are born inworld but not all. It will show the latest kitty born on the same sim or parcel as the statue. There should be instructions with it as well -- there's a particular code that you copy and then paste under your signature in the preferences in the forum. Once you do that the kitties that are born on the same sim or parcel as the statue will show in the forum. Informing you in local is automatic, no extra action needed. I am sorry if you are disappointed but I found it very nice -- not just posting in the forum but I don't have to be home to know a kitten was born at home (home is where I have a few kitties out, I put them out when the are at 90% because I have milk there -- can't afford to milk all cats in my online cattery -- gets prohibitive.)
*nods* It only works for kitties born in world. Like Kayla, most of mine are born in world, but not all of them. It does miss the ones born in the online cattery...but for me, that's usually just the OS from my Fancie. She stays online for safe keeping & careful monitoring. Smile

(I'm the opposite of Kayla, in that I keep milk in my Online Cattery, but cuddle the In World ones instead. I usually only have my <7 days ones, seasonal/extra permas and Fancie in my Online Cattery, and then send the Fancie's current partner there when she is within a day of being ready so I can sync up their energy levels.)

Also, if you have two born at the same time, it only reports the last one. That bug has been reported, but I hear it's not fixed. I think it had to do with how the info comes from the KC's server.

If you have KittyCats breeding on more than one SIM, you can put out a sensor at each location and they should both update your signature - at least that was how it worked when I first started testing it. I have had them all in one place for a while now.

And, yes, you have to copy and save the code into your signature here, but only once. Then it is automatically updated.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's