KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: What is kitty gacha for?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I realized that for some time kitty gacha is offered everywhere. It seems to spring up like mushrooms. I wonder what or who it is for? Is it for sl residents who visit the arcade and love to play and collect gacha items or is it for new kittycats lovers who just started to breed?
I understand that you pay a small amount of lindens and you get a kitten but don't know what it will look like.
I believe for the seller it is a "nice" way of getting rid of low traited kittys but I don't understand what benefit there is for the buyer.

I am just curious.
I would suggest that, if the only purpose of a gatcha vendor for boxes is to sell low-trait cats, the gatcha won't be very successful. The idea of the vendor is to entice purchasers into buying by giving them a chance at a remarkably good box, but with a risk of getting a lot of less desirable boxes.

For this to work, however, the seller would need to ensure there actually *IS* a good box to be had. And that means regularly checking the vendor and restocking it appropriately.

For no-copy items, like KittyCatS, that means a lot of work for the seller. So, it's probably a safe assumption that the vendor has nothing but less-desirable boxes.

So, to the question ...

Assuming that it's nothing but less-desirable boxes, one benefit is to provide random genetic material at a price lower than Starters.

If you're going that route, however, I'd suggest limiting purchases from a single vendor/seller and spread your gatcha activity across a number of sellers. You're looking for 'random' and, while the gatcha does (or, at least *SHOULD*) randomly select a box for you, it pulls from a non-random pool .. highly non-random since it comes from the seller's stock, AND was filtered by the seller when placed in the vendor. Buying one here and another there will be more random than buying two from the same person.
(07-14-2015 01:09 PM)Tad Carlucci Wrote: [ -> ]So, it's probably a safe assumption that the vendor has nothing but less-desirable boxes.

Yes, this is what I assumed. And therefore I asked myself what could be the benefit for the buyer? Especially as you can get quite good kittens for the same amount of Lindens in numerous Menagerie sales.

(07-14-2015 01:09 PM)Tad Carlucci Wrote: [ -> ]If you're going that route, however, I'd suggest limiting purchases from a single vendor/seller and spread your gatcha activity across a number of sellers.

Still I cannot imagine why somebody should go that route when it's much more favourable to buy low priced kittens. Then you know what you get. You can even take a look at the pedigree if you are lucky and the seller enabled it.
It's probably some of the older breeders, that have breed for a year and more. That are looking for a new challenge and not sure what. They take a chance at gacha, see what they get and then how they can turn it into a beautiful in their eyes-kitty Smile
(07-15-2015 06:07 AM)Senta Garnburg Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot imagine why somebody should go that route when it's much more favourable to buy low priced kittens. Then you know what you get. You can even take a look at the pedigree if you are lucky and the seller enabled it.

When you're shopping and purchasing in the normal manner, you are accepting two sets of bias: the seller's and yours.

The idea of random breeding is to eliminate those bias. Gatcha vendors can help reduce your personal bias. jumping from one vendor to another helps reduce seller bias.
I know some of my friends have done the gachas for boxes to get their menegerie tigers and I have done it too if you find them low enough. Last time I did it i got some very nice itties from the seller for extremely low and I kept them to breed and I imed and offered more for them but they wouldn't take more for it. Also when I was a new breeder I didn't realize you could go into the edit menu and look at contents so for a new breeder i sorta did it cause it was exciting to see what you would get. I have since stopped selling in gachas and buying unless i get really close to my menagerie tiger(trying to collect them in all sizes in the white ones) but there's always different reasons why people buy and why people sell with the gachas.Some people just want to get rid of unwanted boxes i think but the kity gachas really aren't that much fun anymore to me LOL but i do love regular gachas Tongue
Gachas can be an interesting experience. Sometimes when I'm out and about shopping for kittycats I will just try to see what I will actually get. Sometimes I've gotten some really nice kittycats this way!

I used to have my own kittycat gacha out for awhile when I had my store, but removed it because it really just wasn't my thing. I've actually seen some of the community use these gachas in really creative ways to drum up business and it seems to work really well for them.
When I was brand new I used to play the gachas a lot. I got my first mega that way for 100L -- it was a gen mega but I loved it. I also got my first 9T that way -- pretty little siamese -- that was before I realized why other people like 9Ts (still don't care about pupils size/shape as a greater varety creates a lot of different expressiveness -- and personally I don't like mysterious/small because they look like snake eyes to me. My opinion is that RL cat's eyes look more like curious/small or mysterious/big so I like those better. And curious/big is exactly how my cat's pupils flare just before she pounces on my foot, lol)

So I love the gachas. They are fun. When you get more into breeding, you leave them behind as you start wanting particular traits -- but there are some amazing things in them -- I actually got a toy gen II fur which I thought was pretty cool since I only started breeding 12/2013.
Thank you for all your answers. It is interesting to read about your different views.
Reference URL's