KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Claims of 9T's or 9T+1 But Just a Costume! What to Do? Or ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,
I was wondering if ya'll can help me figure this one out. I have been out and about shopping or tending to Business. And I have seen alot "ALOT" of sellers counting the Costume traits not the true traits under the costume. If they are normal they are naming them 9T kitties or what ever the traits come up to. Or say if it is a special size they are adding the "+1".

I do wonder if I should help them and send them a nice little message to help educate them? I understand it is just them not knowing but I would hate if other new commers come along and copy the same. Or if they get upset wondering why they have this AWESOME 9T [just on the surface] up for sale and it is not selling or something like that.

So should i keep my mouth shut or would it be a good idea to contact these new comer breeders and help them straighten things out?

What Do ya'll think? there is more than one.

Oh Plus they dont' have the pedigree link on so you can't see what really is there
Hi there Veet Smile
I think it's a good idea to contact whomever it is privately and educate that particular breeder about it. I think it is especially important for the costume cats because people sometimes do think the traits of the costume can pass and that is even more likely if a cat is labelled as having the traits of the costume in some manner. I think the "+1" has become a matter of individual taste. It isn't something I do as I find it misleading to suggest the cat can have more than 9 traits or state size as extra plus trait... it cannot be lol. Cats have 9 trats max and that is how it is, but for some reason some people do put this "+1"
RE: The +1 Designation:
I think the +1 is a way of saying that it has a special size, but acknowledging that it can't be passed - otherwise a 9T+1 would simply be a 10T, which, as you stated, is impossible. (I once saw an auctioneer counting a special size in with trait counts on a lower trait cat. I mentioned it in local and to the SIM owner. That kind of gross misrepresentation by someone who is supposed to be a skilled professional shouldn't be tolerated, and makes me wonder what else they are getting wrong - say in the pedigree.)

Why do it? It's a way of drawing attention to the fact that it's as special size for those to collect or prefer them.

I'm not even sure what to say regarding costumes - it's so basic yet can be so confusing to newbies. I'd like see a good info page on this in the KC manual, including things like how to go the pedigree page for costume kitties, and what Menagerie Tigers and Fancies definitely hide vs what they CAN hide.
I think that the +1 is a convention that appears on some Trait Counters available on the marketplace. So newbies who don't know how to count traits are exposed to it in that way. I don't know - but it may be - that these same trait counters are misreading the LE costumes in the same way and they MAY be to blame. I have never used such a tool, so I don't know.

As to whether to let a seller know - I think you never can tell. Some people can get very defensive when you IM them about cat labeling, and some can be grateful. I think it's just a shot in the dark whether to IM or not.
(05-10-2015 08:21 PM)Ivy Norsk Wrote: [ -> ]I think that the +1 is a convention that appears on some Trait Counters available on the marketplace. So newbies who don't know how to count traits are exposed to it in that way. I don't know - but it may be - that these same trait counters are misreading the LE costumes in the same way and they MAY be to blame. I have never used such a tool, so I don't know.

As to whether to let a seller know - I think you never can tell. Some people can get very defensive when you IM them about cat labeling, and some can be grateful. I think it's just a shot in the dark whether to IM or not.
Ivy I think you are in My Brain, If you find the Lost Marbles in there that some say I have lost can you please tell me what region they are in :: Oh or Maybe a Map would be betterBig Grin hehehehe
While I was standing there I was thinking "hmmm? i wonder if it is the trait counters."
And Now that I think of it more I need to look into my Own trait counter texture i turned in to a HUD to help me when i was out shopping when i 1st got into KC. It not as Fancy and high-Tech as the ones the have out there nowadays but it worked for me. I also was thinking I wonder if they put it in a notecard or something to go along with those gadgets that that LE and other special kitties have costumes and that the gadget can not tell between true traits and Costume traits. But then agian many dont' read the notecards and information that goes along with things. I know i did have a couple get upset and contact me about the Texture/HUD that it was broken. That it didn't do anything. This is before the new High Tech trait counters came out and they were wanting it to do what there do. Mine was just but a Texture on a Prim that would show up in your window. Oh but i did make it meow when you touched it and change shape. hahha. But I will totally be looking how i have things worded and ect from over two years ago when i was first starting out. Big Grin Thanks Smile

I do have one of these Fancy High tools that one of the Creators gave me to test out. That was so Sweet of them. But I will look at it and see how things are worded and set up on it.

I think you might be dead on right aabut the shot in the dark. I did always raise my kids that it is not always what you say but how you say it. So I think i will think about this I don't want to offend anyone or upset any one. If It was me, shoot I would hope someone would say something [and they have] to me.
But was totally curious of what others think, Thank You Heart
(05-10-2015 07:50 PM)MsMagick Resident Wrote: [ -> ]RE: The +1 Designation:

Yep I too have seen Auctioneers say the "Plus One" but the couple of Auctioneers I have heard use the term do Educate the audience of the meaning or it is just common knowledge to those that were there at the time because 100% of the audience were major and long term breeders and no need to explain to us this. But it was used Jokenly but yet Loveingly among us Old Pals Big Grin Heart

I have been known to use the Plus One "+1" not really on Megas but like one of the smaller sizes because in passing it sticks it out a little from the Normals to show in passing it is a Special Size. And not just 9T's but like say "6T+1" on a Petite because it looks so close to a Normal. I been on the Hunt for a Special Size in a certain Fur and it been hard as heck to see the difference in it and a Normal. When you find the fur you are looking for you got to go around and click them all. hahahhahaha Or maybe it is just because I'm Older and need extra Eyeballs to see some times hahahahahha.

But just the same i don't see puting "+1" on a Mega (???? Why do this) others my think my "+1" on a Petite is wrong.

But when you got a 8T and call it a 9T because it a Mega!!! That is totally WRONG or if it a 5T and calling it a 6T because it a teacup just don't cut it in my book. That to be is fibbing Sad

Thank You for your responce
(05-10-2015 06:51 PM)Emilia Darkwatch Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there Veet Smile
I think it's a good idea to contact whomever it is privately and educate that particular breeder about it.
Thank You so much! Totally in Private and with kitten gloves i will. Just as I would want someone do for me. We all make mistakes and learn at different paces. Or just were told wrong by being or maybe even technology.
Thank you so much

Thank You everyone for your responses. It did help me think things out better and wil take the right steps in the right steps in the right form to help them. Well hopefully they see it as help Smile
(05-10-2015 06:03 PM)VeetMesser Resident Wrote: [ -> ]Hello All,
I was wondering if ya'll can help me figure this one out. I have been out and about shopping or tending to Business. And I have seen alot "ALOT" of sellers counting the Costume traits not the true traits under the costume. If they are normal they are naming them 9T kitties or what ever the traits come up to. Or say if it is a special size they are adding the "+1".

I do wonder if I should help them and send them a nice little message to help educate them? I understand it is just them not knowing but I would hate if other new commers come along and copy the same. Or if they get upset wondering why they have this AWESOME 9T [just on the surface] up for sale and it is not selling or something like that.

So should i keep my mouth shut or would it be a good idea to contact these new comer breeders and help them straighten things out?

What Do ya'll think? there is more than one.

Oh Plus they dont' have the pedigree link on so you can't see what really is there

Education always comes first.

I will always help people if I see this kind of situation. This seems to be the correct path.

hugs hugs Tiger

Thank you for sharing this post. Smile

(05-10-2015 06:03 PM)VeetMesser Resident Wrote: [ -> ]Oh Plus they dont' have the pedigree link on so you can't see what really is there

Just saw this part. There's another thread about asking everyone to turn on the links, and I even specifically asked that people turn them on for Collection cats. Yet even many very experienced sellers don't have them turned on at all... and many don't seem to know how they work. Hopefully, the option the KC added with the upgrade will help.

I think it's a good idea to IM the seller and ask them to turn the link on so you can see what's underneath, but admit that often times I just don't bother. One seller that I did IM simply said that she didn't have any of one fur I mentioned rather than turning them on so I - and others - could see. No wonder she's out of business.
I think a trait counter was given in the Advent calendar and it does make a +1 one for size.
I think that the pedigree link should be turned on and availible for ALL cats put up for sale.
Reference URL's