KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Cats eating like elephants
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, hope someone's able to lend a hand cause well.

Since I started breeding, my kittens have been eating like idiots really. in a short timespan I've gone trough roughly 4 to 5 bowls of food and I decided to do some math

As of now, they currently consume around 2,5% each hour of kibble average
A few notes I checked here
Breeding pairs (all 6 of them)
bowl is set to feed only said 6
Cats were taken from the cattery and beeing fed always (kept a spare bowl even)
All 6 cats are not sick

Following the math and well, past draining of bowls that leaves me with this result
1 bowl of kibble last for 40 hours, with 6 cats. where as I am told, that should be 4 days even

Anyhows, hope someone has a clue cause they are eating the skin off my back here o.O
Hi Smile

I am wondering did you perhaps mixed your starter food which comes with specials and starter kitties with your regular food?
If so this could cause the problem because starter food will only last 1 week per breeding cat and 2 weeks for a non breeding pet (if breeding is set off or the cat reached the age of 121 days).
While regular food, obtained in the store, is stronger and will feed 1 breeding kitty for 4 weeks and a non breeding pet for 8 weeks.
Should mixed food not be the issue I can highly recommend to file a ticket just so KittyCatS! can investigate the food problem you currently have with you.

Good luck! :-)

Kay
This is usually a result of "looking too closely".

The starter bowl should feed one cat for one week. A normal bowl should feed one cat for one month (30 days). Six cats should consume a starter bowl in 7 x 24 / 6 = 28 hours (1 day, 4 hours). Six cats should consume a normal bowl in 30 x 24 / 6 = 120 hours (5 days).

Cats who are PermaPets consume NO food and, as a result, cannot get sick. Cats on Pet Food or who are too old to breed (that is, Breed Off for age, or as a result of your clicking on the blue menu dialog) consume food at a lower rate. Cats who are hungry consume food at an accelerated rate.

Let's examine how it works. This is probably not the exact model, but it should help you see how it works ...

Think if it as "kibbles" .. the cat sleeps for 8 hours .. 8 kibbles .. it awakes and, over the next hour, needs to consume 9 kibbles to catch up .. then for 7 hours, 1 per hour before going back to sleep.

So there are two real-days in the pattern.

0..0..0..0..0..0..0..0..9..1..1..1..1..1..1..1..0..0..0..0..0..0..0..0.. ==> 16 kibbles (67% of stated rate)

9..1..1..1..1..1..1..1..0..0..0..0..0..0..0..0..9..1..1..1..1..1..1..1.. ==> 32 kibbles (133% of stated rate)

total ==> 2 days, 48 hours, 48 kibbles (100% of stated rate).

Now, if all my cats are sleep-aligned, and all are on the second day of the pattern, I'll **APPEAR** to be consuming food at 133% normal rate. So, six cats want to consume 192 kibbles. A starter bowl has 168, so it runs out after only 20 hours. [But, if all my cats are sleep-aligned and, instead, all started on the first day of the pattern, that same starter bowl will last 28 hours.]

Is this "wrong?" .. NO!

It only appears so because we looked too closely. If we examined 2 days it would be spot on (or nearly so). The longer term we examine the more accurate the "one cat, one month, one bowl" rules becomes.

In actual practice, things are very complex because cats are usually on different sleep/wake cycles, kittens are born, kittens become adults, adults become 121 days old, etc. And, of course, sending them to/from the Cattery, taking them to/from inventory, and taking/rezzing bowls of food, effect it too.

But, if we keep looking, we'll see the numbers become very, very close to the "official" rate.
Hi Jaack,

I suggested on the group chat when you brought up that issue that you file a ticket if you have the feeling your cats are eating too fast.

~~~~~
Hi Tad,

A bowl of kibble is eaten by a breeding cat in 4 weeks (28 days), not 1 month (30 days).

Kitty
Reference URL's