KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Linden Labs new virtual world.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey. I presume that most of you have heard that Linden Lab has confirmed that they working on a new virtual world, that will eventually replace SL. Much is unclear about it and Ebbe Altberg just say that everything will be much better than in SL and provide users with much more possibilities.
It sounds exciting and SL is really old, with servers powered by hamsters running in wheels. (as it feels sometimes) But while a little concerned about what will happen. Will people (including me) and especially creators who have spent a long long time to build up something here in SL, have the energy, desire and motivation to restart everything from scratch again?
I can live with that i have to build a new house and prepare a new place to live on in the new world and that i maybe not can use my avatar that i had for three years now, but it will be very hard to live without my dear KittyCats.

It is perhaps too early to start be worry about this and speculate on things that are far from being ready yet. But i hope KittyCats team will be out early to perhaps find a solution so that the cats can be transfered to the new world, or start working on a new version of KittyCats adapted to the new world.
A virtual world without cats, is not any world to live in.
Leah-Marie*

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2014/06/linden-....html#more
http://joyardley.wordpress.com/2014/06/2...ual-world/
http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/general...t-gen.html
As I read their official statements, they are not closing any development on Sl nor will they stop improving it. I believe two worlds will slowly grow side to side for a while till creators and residents find their liking in the new and improved world. I would not worry as of yet, it could be 2-3 years before this all comes into open for users stage so think our kittycats are safe with us till then :3
Well i believe LL has been toying with this for a few years now.

Mesh and texture content would obviously still be importable, although if this Brave New World doesn't accept sculpts then that'd make a lot of people pretty unhappy.

Closed source so we'd be stuck with their viewer and i'm trying hard to imagine how a locked down game could provide builders with greater creativity opportunities and freedom.

Anyhow it's still early days, and even if it actually does ever happen they won't be closing down SL; it'll be an alternative i reckon and they'll wait to see how many users they can rustle up before even thinking of this so i don't think we have to worry for a good few years yet.

Whatever, the resistance will be massive Big Grin

[Image: 14vjotj.png]
this is my take, personally, (not speaking for kittycats)

in my life, i've many times experienced people frightened over "change" coming. it has taken many forms from changes politically, in jobs, companies, families, moving, laws, so so so many things, it would take all day to list a fraction of them.

this is what i've learned. it will all be OK. period. and no one knows, not even LL. they may have plans but how many companies have plans that never happen? tons.

so, i will NOT waste any of the precious time i have in NOW worrying about something that may or may not affect me. worry comes from fear, fear of the future and all that is at this time is pure speculation.

i love kittycats, and whatever form it may take later i am open to Smile

for the new "sl" we just do not know and of course we will be as a company watching, learning, etc.

but worrying? no way, not me... i won't allow myself to go there as i'd miss THIS moment!!!! Smile

oh btw... when we were in development, a VERY "reliable" source told me "wait for mesh to do your cats, it will be ready in about 3 months FOR SURE". well had we listened, we'd not have released til 2 years AFTER we did and we'd not be able to have the many many many features we have now. so... the lesson there is... keep going NOW with what you have, do your best, and trust that when things do change, you can adapt Smile

fear is a killer of dreams, and peace in this current moment!

that's my take on it. AND i will also be watching and we'll see right? Smile

so happy you like the KittyCatS so much!!! Smile

*edited spelling.
(06-23-2014 03:33 AM)Callie Cline Wrote: [ -> ]this is my take, personally, (not speaking for kittycats)

in my life, i've many times experienced people frightened over "change" coming. it has taken many forms from changes politically, in jobs, companies, families, moving, laws, so so so many things, it would take all day to list a fraction of them.

this is what i've learned. it will all be OK. period. and no one knows, not even LL. they may have plans but how many companies have plans that never happen? tons.

so, i will NOT waste any of the precious time i have in NOW worrying about something that may or may not effect me. worry comes from fear, fear of the future and all that is at this time is pure speculation.

i love kittycats, and whatever form it may take later i am open to Smile

for the new "sl" we just do not know and of course we will be as a company watching, learning, etc.

but worrying? no way, not me... i won't allow myself to go there as i'd miss THIS moment!!!! Smile

oh btw... when we were in development, a VERY "reliable" source told me "wait for mesh to do your cats, it will be ready in about 3 months FOR SURE". well had we listened, we'd not have released til 2 years AFTER we did and we'd not be able to have the many many many features we have now. so... the lesson there is... keep going NOW with what you have, do your best, and trust that when things do change, you can adapt Smile

fear is a killer of dreams, and peace in this current moment!

that's my take on it. AND i will also be watching and we'll see right? Smile

so happy you like the KittyCatS so much!!! Smile

Author "Eckhart Tolle" wrote a book about this "The power of now" it helped me a bit while I am pretty grounded.

Still I sure make notes from my body settings and black mail my skin creator xD
I went to an other grid a few back and we could migrate our creations as well as our name I am sure LL is awared as well we are attached to certain things before we even consider to move over Smile
During this time of transition - which will last several years - I can understand the need for patience as the cats will need to be redesigned for the new grid specs. If there are fewer LEs, and indeed, no new traits towards the end of the transition period, I, and I’m sure others in the KittyCats! community, will understand why.

KEEP CALM
AND
CARRY ON
Linden Lab is not closing the old SL.

Some people are asking for better NPC functions on the new grid - à la the NPCs one can find in other video games. I would dearly love it if the kitties were treated as interactive NPCs.

I have faith that KittyCats! can do this. The thing that eases my mind the most and makes it exciting is that the Cattery already exists. I can foresee a time when we simply upload our kitties to the Cattery, log in to the new grid, rezz out a new dock, and see our cats step out into the new world.

For people who want more general info:
For the audio interview with Ebbe Linden, the best source I’ve found is here: http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/

There is a continuing discussion on SLU about the new grid. Ebbe Linden is a participant and answers some questions, although no technical specifics are given, as things are still in alpha. http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/general...t-gen.html
I'm sure whatever they're working on is years away and, if and when it becomes public, it will be several more years until Second Life ends.

As I read it, they are in early Alpha development. And, of course, at this phase, it's all "closed source." At this stage, I imagine they only have rough ideas where they want it to end up. The last thing they need is a bunch of people throwing ideas at them.

To be honest, Second Life is old and crufty.

They readily admit that there are vast sections of code they avoid looking into because it's such a mess. Some of the mess stems from the simple fact of the age of the code. But there are sections which were never really intended for public use. The early-on Second Life environment was nothing more than a proof-of-concept. Much of the code was never really "designed" and simply came into being to show something could be done. Unfortunately, once it was put in place, it became entrenched. So we're left with things like the lousy permissions system, inventory initialization errors (aka "the drop bug"), and truely bad ideas, which should never have seen the light of day, like "sculpies".

So, here's to them!

Hurrah! I hope they do a ground-up redesign. All things "how it is in Second Life" are disallowed. Everything should be "what we should have done in Second Life."

Whatever they finally come up with, I'm sure many designers (with the usual belly-aching) will be able to relatively quickly convert. Mesh models for in-world objects (such as housing, signs, furniture, landscaping, etc), which use an industry-standard format, will almost certainly be fairly easy to move over. Avatar mesh, skins, clothing, and such, will probably not be easy to move over because they depend heavily upon Second Life bad choices: avatars will almost certainly be constructed differently, so it will be difficult (if not impossible) to convert those.

KittyCatS, as they exist in Second Life, depend heavily upon sculpted prims. The reason is simple: the stupid permissions system on Second Life make mesh models non-viable. So, KittyCatS won't be easy to move over. Hopefully, Linden Labs will provide a better system, which would allow changing mesh models at run-time. This would allow the "concept" of KittyCatS to be moved over. But, I strongly suspect, the current sculpt-based models will require a complete replacement. Probably, the end result will be vastly better than the current product. (Actually, I expect everyone will be amazed at the improvement.)

When Linden Labs are comfortable with it, I'm sure they'll let us know more. KittyCatS is a huge portion of Linden Lab's current income stream. So I think they will probably learn more before we do; but they'll probably be under a non-disclosure contract and won't be able to tell us about it.

But, then, all this is years in the future and plans have a way of changing (often remarkably) during the Alpha development phase.
(06-23-2014 03:33 AM)Callie Cline Wrote: [ -> ]worry comes from fear, fear of the future and all that is at this time is pure speculation.

lol this tottaly gave me image of yoda XD sorry!
[Image: 3453283-tumblr_mapln1nr8i1qgzqnco1_500.gif]

Great words Callie, I completely agree
I totally agree Callie, pretty much said the same thing to my friend when she told me about it Smile
Smile yes, it's not a time to react... i mean if you want to you can LOL... but most things i worry about i find never happen...

Tongue

xoxoxo to you all!!

plus... we ALL know the kitties are the ones in charge... history proves it.. remember the pyramids??? do you think THEY would let anything happen???
NO way they are WAY too stubborn Tongue

rawr, purr and meow.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's