KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: What did I do Wrong
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I tried breeding a 9T Foxie to a Deviled egg kitty and only made an exact copy of the special kitty. Help
new kitty another male by the way

Fur: Pandie - Ebony & Ivory
Eyes: Genesis Meadow (Curious|Small)
Shade: Natural
Tail: Genesis
Ears: Genesis
Whiskers: White (Guitar)

mom
Fur: Foxie - Salt & Pepper Mask
Eyes: Apple (Mysterious|Small)
Shade: Glitter
Tail: Shorty
Ears: Pointed Soft Fold
Whiskers: White (Plush)

dad Scrambled EggS! - Deviled
Fur: Pandie - Ebony & Ivory
Eyes: Genesis Meadow (Curious|Small)
Shade: Natural
Tail: Genesis
Ears: Genesis
Whiskers: 2 Tone Black & White (Guitar)

any suggestions would be wonderful thank you
Nothing wrong hun, you just need to "experiment" a lot. I'll try with a kitten with even more recessive traits to pair with daddy and maybe you'll get some hidden trait. Smile
what is even more recessive that I should try? thanks
(05-10-2014 04:53 PM)Morgan Trevellion Wrote: [ -> ]what is even more recessive that I should try? thanks

Just take a look at the dominance chart, they are very up to date. IMHO you can basically try and pair him with any fur/eye/trait you might like if you don't have a specific project in mind. Keep trying!
Just keep trying. You were unfortunate first time out in that daddy threw out the shown (dominant) trait on all traits which actually tends to be unusual. You have a 50% chance as to whether the shown or hidden trait is thrown on each trait. Usually at least a couple of the hiddens will be thrown out of the 9 traits. next time you might have better luck. If a trait shows up that's not mom or dad then you have a hidden trait from either mom or dad.
You did nothing wrong at all Morgan.
As Kayla says dad's shown fur was thrown this time. Of course, the hidden fur on dad could also be Pandie E&I but thats pretty unlikely and if not is more recessive and will probably show if you keep on breeding this couple.

The real problem here is that dad is a special OS from two Scrambled eggs and is really best to keep just for collection purposes as the parents are starter kitties with a costume, and so their babies could well be hiding very few traits other than genesis.
This is why, except to produce these special LE OS, it's not advised to breed two starters together; one may get extremely lucky in the case of both chosen starters having a very recessive trait in the same slot and the same or more dominant showing but it's highly unlikely.

The Salty mom is perfectly fine and adequate for the job but would be put to better use paired directly with a starter.

I've CP'd a usefull page from Saga's docs for you to get the breeding basics straight, in case you haven't found your way there yet :

Confirmed Basic Facts About KittyCatS Traits:

-A KittyCat has TWO "genes" per trait you see - a visible trait and a hidden trait. Traits in this context can of course also be genesis traits.

-BOTH a KittyCat's traits, the hidden & the visible, will be inherited directly from the parents - one from mom, one from dad.

-Hidden traits can become visible and vice versa, and hidden traits can be inherited and remain hidden through generations.

-If a kitten has mom's VISIBLE fur, it can not also have a HIDDEN fur trait from her - the hidden fur trait will then be from dad.

-The visible trait is ALWAYS more dominant than the hidden trait, unless the shown & hidden traits are identical.

-When two cats breed, they both pass either their hidden or visible trait, and the kitten will have the more dominant of those two traits as the shown trait, and the less dominant as the hidden trait. -Again, unless they are identical.

-There are NO random traits in KittyCats, except in newborn starter cats (Including Special Edition cats - all cats that says "Starter" under parent info)

-Two traits cannot "morph" into a third trait. If a trait appears "out of nowhere", it is because it has been passed as a hidden trait through generations.

Full docs and trait charts here : http://kittycats.biz/forum/showthread.php?tid=2351
thank you so much I had not found that page good information to have
Something else to remember with the "special" babies, some traits that are showing genesis might not hide anything else, both of the parents could have tossed the genesis into the mix.
A question about this part "-When two cats breed, they both pass either their hidden or visible trait, and the kitten will have the more dominant of those two traits as the shown trait, and the less dominant as the hidden trait. -Again, unless they are identical."
I had a Bengal Snow mate with a Siamese Flame and the kitten has an even more recessive fur - Balinese Seal Lynx. Does that mean that the mom and dad's hidden fur are both Balienese Seal Lynx
Confused...

quote='anna acanthus' pid='50670' dateline='1399794569']
You did nothing wrong at all Morgan.
As Kayla says dad's shown fur was thrown this time. Of course, the hidden fur on dad could also be Pandie E&I but thats pretty unlikely and if not is more recessive and will probably show if you keep on breeding this couple.

The real problem here is that dad is a special OS from two Scrambled eggs and is really best to keep just for collection purposes as the parents are starter kitties with a costume, and so their babies could well be hiding very few traits other than genesis.
This is why, except to produce these special LE OS, it's not advised to breed two starters together; one may get extremely lucky in the case of both chosen starters having a very recessive trait in the same slot and the same or more dominant showing but it's highly unlikely.

The Salty mom is perfectly fine and adequate for the job but would be put to better use paired directly with a starter.

I've CP'd a usefull page from Saga's docs for you to get the breeding basics straight, in case you haven't found your way there yet :

Confirmed Basic Facts About KittyCatS Traits:

-A KittyCat has TWO "genes" per trait you see - a visible trait and a hidden trait. Traits in this context can of course also be genesis traits.

-BOTH a KittyCat's traits, the hidden & the visible, will be inherited directly from the parents - one from mom, one from dad.

-Hidden traits can become visible and vice versa, and hidden traits can be inherited and remain hidden through generations.

-If a kitten has mom's VISIBLE fur, it can not also have a HIDDEN fur trait from her - the hidden fur trait will then be from dad.

-The visible trait is ALWAYS more dominant than the hidden trait, unless the shown & hidden traits are identical.

-When two cats breed, they both pass either their hidden or visible trait, and the kitten will have the more dominant of those two traits as the shown trait, and the less dominant as the hidden trait. -Again, unless they are identical.

-There are NO random traits in KittyCats, except in newborn starter cats (Including Special Edition cats - all cats that says "Starter" under parent info)

-Two traits cannot "morph" into a third trait. If a trait appears "out of nowhere", it is because it has been passed as a hidden trait through generations.

Full docs and trait charts here : http://kittycats.biz/forum/showthread.php?tid=2351

[/quote]
(05-16-2014 12:54 PM)Zoe Upshaw Wrote: [ -> ]I had a Bengal Snow mate with a Siamese Flame and the kitten has an even more recessive fur - Balinese Seal Lynx. Does that mean that the mom and dad's hidden fur are both Balienese Seal Lynx
Confused...

This can mean that either both parents are either hiding Seal Lynx or one of them hides a different fur. In the case of two different hiddens one will be recessive to Seal Lynx as the more dominant will pass as shown, so the more recessive will then become the hidden.
This is where you can use a more recessive fur (than Lynx) on that offspring to try find out what it's hiding.
The same system applies to all other traits too.

Don't worry Zoe, it'll soon kick in and then you'll have all the necessary breeding basics in hand Smile
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's