KittyCatS! Community Forum

Full Version: Phantom mode option
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i know there are drawbacks to what i'm going to ask, but maybe with some other brains besides mine weighing in on it something can be found.

the covenant on the land i rent makes our cats have to be set to no movement, because of collisions. also my landowner says that of the various covenant violations they handle, kittycats are the majority.

if there were a phantom mode option, there would be no collides and thus the covenant woouldn't apply. i know it would affect some of their functionality, but as it stands, having to turn movement off i lose all that anyway. i'd rather get to keep at least some of it and have our cats able to walk around, and maybe in time some of the things that are done now with collisions, other ways could be found.
Hi Router Smile

Well i'm not claiming that weighty brain that you're asking for but i'm just wondering what other covenant stipulations KCs violate.
The only other possible offender i could think of would be scripts but if your landowner would care to check them out he(she)'ll see that KCs have an extremely low script count.

As for having a phantom option the drawbacks are obvious i think but i'll leave that to the weighty brains around here, as mine is far too lazy right now.
Covenants like that show the estate/region owner had problems with Scion Chickens and thinks all breedables have the same problem. It also shows the owner listened to someone else's (usually wrong) ideas as to the causes of the Scion fiasco.

Nah. Scratch all that .. it probably just means the owner was lazy and simply copied someone else's bone-headed Covenant.

Personally, if I and looking at land, and I see a covenant like that, I figure it means the owner doesn't pay much attention to the region and won't be there if I have a problem: so I keep looking.
I think in cases like these you can always turn on the movement when you are there and turn it off when you log out or leave for a while. Making them phantom would lead to more issues for KittyCatS than this would help in my opinion. We already have them walking through walls, falling out of skyboxes ect cause of moments when they do go phantom such as when jumping.
the relevant concern is not script execution time, number of scripts, or script memory, it is collisions. collisions contribute to the overhead of a region and therefore to its lag. how much is acceptable, or not, i don't know, and that is anyway a subjective factor i think. i do not have estate manager access anywhere currently to gather statistics, tho i have been told i can be granted temporary EM if i wish it, for the purpose. but with or without statistics, i am merely asking for an option to have cats that move, without colliding. there are animals that do this and do not fall from where they are set, i just don't know how much work is involved in making it possible, but it is what i would like as an option.
From the wording of my covenant, Sanura may be right that 'unattended' movement is more the point, and i can do things that way, but if it's possible i prefer a kind of 'set it and forget it' way. Smile
"You pays your money and you makes your choice."

Having KittyCatS be physical when moving means they respect the environment and don't fall through floors, walk through walls, etc.

Having KittyCatS be non-physical when moving means they ignore the environment and pass through walls, floors, whatever.

--

"there are animals that do this and do not fall" .. correct .. they ignore walls, floors, everything. They move where they want, without restriction, but don't fall because they are not physical so there is no 'gravity' to make them fall.

--

All Second Life viewers can show you the statistics. You don't need special access, simply enable the feature and check the readings.

--

Many of us LIKE the fact that KittyCatS can NOT walk through walls and drop to the floor when walking off furniture or going down stairs, and would object to removing those behaviors.

Except for the [fixable, if not fixed] script errors which have been discussed elsewhere, and which have to do with switching back and forth between physical and non-physical, these features are FREE: no scripting is required.

On the other hand, non-physical movement requires complete control from the scripts. This means every move must be programmed. That's not all that bad if you just want the cat to "teleport" from point to point. But if you want the cat to appear to move, smoothly, it requires a LOT of script work since you need to very quickly teleport in a lot of tiny jumps. Not only would the suggested feature mean a LOT of work for the scripter, I'd expect the result would be a noticeable, probably remarkable, increase in lag (meaning the cats will move in fits and starts, skipping from point to point).
viewers do not show me a list of what agents and objects are colliding, how much, on a region. but i see and agree with the points about not being able to go thru stuff, being able to 'fall' naturally, etc., and why i asked for it as an option, but if it's too much work it's too much work. i just wish it were otherwise, i guess basically what i wish i had was a meeroo that looked like a cat lol Smile that way i could have movement at least, i personally would prefer even somewhat 'unrealistic' movement than none, but i understand.
Reference URL's